Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Peter Moon, another great Hawaiian musician
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  11:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Aunty Wcerto's post on Ledward reminded me of another of my local guitar/ukulele heroes as a teenager, Peter Moon.

As far as local guys are concerned, I think Peter Moon was/is a really innovative and very influential musician. I know that Troy Fernandez was inspired by him.

His Peter Moon Band days spawned a lot of great songs that are still popular to this day. Especially his instrumentals.

His Sunday Manoa period was really really sweet too. I think the solo to Pua Lilia is one of the most beautiful ukulele solos I have ever heard.

Needless to say, he was also a big influence on me when I was just starting out.

Does anyone know what happened to him or what he is doing? I haven't heard anything about him in recent years.

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  05:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
He produced a very good video titled "Peter Moon: Magic of the Ukulele" on VHS in 1999. It includes, Hula O' Makee, Hi'ilawe, My Sweet Sweetie, Papalina Lahilahi, and Alekoki. Rather intimidating to watch him play and then follow the somewhat fragmented instructions to do the same. If its still available anywhere its worth having just as an example of what he can do, plus it has some pictures of him in his early career as a guitarist in other musical genre.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  08:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Ozzie told us that Peter's son (or grandson?) is a student of his and is getting to be really good at playing slack key. When he puts out his first CD you can say you heard it here on the Taro Patch first.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 01/28/2008 08:44:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  08:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to report, Peter suffered a debilitating stroke a few years ago, and is still recuperating.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  11:22:49 AM  Show Profile
I saw the Peter Moon Band at the Hotel Honokaa Club many years ago. Although I have seen a fair bit of Hawaiian music, nothing has ever topped that evening. No one could stay in their seats! And in such a tiny venue, it was very up close and personal- I doubt they could fit 100 people in the room.

To me, Peter Moon shares the number one spot in Hawaiian music with Gabby. I will never tire of those two, and their contributions will be heard in Hawaiian music for generations.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  4:02:57 PM  Show Profile
No doubt that when I start feeling "dried up" for ideas, or just want to get fired up again, all I have to do is play a few cuts from just about any Peter Moon album. In terms of pure musicianship, he is certainly one of those who are trully "the best" -- (BTW, my fav album is "Guava Jam) If any TP'ers aren't familiar with Peter's music - get some of those albums while you can - pure gold and worth more than every penny you spend.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  4:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

No doubt that when I start feeling "dried up" for ideas, or just want to get fired up again, all I have to do is play a few cuts from just about any Peter Moon album. In terms of pure musicianship, he is certainly one of those who are trully "the best" -- (BTW, my fav album is "Guava Jam) If any TP'ers aren't familiar with Peter's music - get some of those albums while you can - pure gold and worth more than every penny you spend.

Guava Jam rocks, of course, but for my money, the best Peter Moon work - in terms of his playing, his arranging, and pure vision - was "Sunday Manoa 3." If "Guava Jam" began the contemporary Hawaiian music movement, "3" took it lightyears farther.

There are a dozen Hawaiian music LPs that enraptured me at a very early age and made me want to play Hawaiian music. Their album covers grave the wall of my studio. "Sunday Manoa 3" is proudly among them.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000