Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian music on Hawaiian Air
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  9:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Hawaiian Air sure has good music to listen to, both as you board, and as you fly. The in-flight magazine actually list the artists playing while you board, and they include a LOT of TP members: Don Kaulia's "Kane`ohe," Bryan Tolentino's "Radio Hula," Herb Ohta Jr.'s "Sand Castles," Darin Leong's "Aloha Papalua," Dennis Kamakahi's "Ahulili," and Brittni Paiva's "Thunder Storm Slack Key." And there are lots of artists featured whom we discuss and admire as well: Led Ka`apana, Ozzie Kotani, Keola Beamer, and Makaha Sons just to name a few. When I fly Hawaiian, my vacation starts as soon as I get on the plane. When I fly other airlines, vacation doesn't start until I exit the plane in Hawai`i. (No, I have no stock in Hawaiian, and none of my family works for them.)

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  02:39:33 AM  Show Profile
That is good for the airline to do that. I also like that at the airport in Honolulu, when we were leaving last time, they had a wonderful band and hula entertaining the departing passengers. I do believe Mr. Sardinha was part of that group. It sure made the wait for our plane considerably more enjoyable.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  03:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

That is good for the airline to do that. I also like that at the airport in Honolulu, when we were leaving last time, they had a wonderful band and hula entertaining the departing passengers. I do believe Mr. Sardinha was part of that group. It sure made the wait for our plane considerably more enjoyable.

Mr. Sardinha is responsible for assembling a group of live musicians for arrivals three times a day at Honolulu International. This has been a great boost to the local musicians who have found almost steady employment here. He is not always among them but he is the contractor.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

kawika
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  8:01:21 PM  Show Profile
I have worked for Hawaiian Airlines almost 22 years and I am glad to hear our passengers appreciate the Hawaiian experience on our flights. Hawaiian Air employee's consider each other "ohana" and take pride in representing Hawaii.
The airport here in Kahului Maui also has local musicians in the lobby on certain days. Sheldon Brown is one of the regular entertainers.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  05:23:12 AM  Show Profile
Pretty darn swell to have Brown `ohana sharing lovely music. Who would want to even leave the airport? Can jam right there, yeah? Kawika - it is small things like that which make customers want to use a specific airline, since most are so similar in pricing, etc. That is great marketing and great customer service. If Hawai`i is treated no differently that flying to dumb Chicago, LaGuardia or Newark or something, then why even leave home. Can get the same grouchy, grumpy vibes anywhere on mainland. That's why Maui no ka oi.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 02/14/2008 05:23:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  06:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

Hawaiian Air sure has good music to listen to, both as you board, and as you fly. The in-flight magazine actually list the artists playing while you board, and they include a LOT of TP members...
The in-flight magazine, Hana Hou!, also offers many definitive articles on our favorite Hawaiian music artists. The Genoa Keawe article last fall (written by Lynn Cook) is a gem. It really captured her essence and in very few words.

Rumor has it that Hana Hou! is going to feature a TP member in the March-April issue.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  08:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
...and at other times when you are wandering around the airports, the Hawaiian music mix you hear on the overhead system is the program that I created for Muzak (but don't do anymore, since leaving the company last May).

Uncle Dennis Kamakahi, on one of his visits to Muzak, told us that he had the weirdest experiences every time he flew through Honolulu International Airport. It seemed that every time he went to visit the restroom, one of his songs would come on the system while he was "taking care of business." I looked him in the eye and said, in my best paranoia-inducing voice: "Yes ... I know."
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  10:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Retro - that is the funniest story! How weird that has to be to pee to your own music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  3:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Closest I'll ever get to that experience is to p!$$ other people off with my playing...
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile
I resemble that remark, Gregg.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Pea
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  12:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Hawaiian Airlines used to have dancers in several mainland airports... to help at the ticket counter and to perform before the passengers boarded. Sadly, that program ended over a year ago. How do I know?? I was one of the volunteers in Phoenix. We would talk story of things to see/do while in Hawai'i, dance a little, talk some more, dance some more and send everyone off with a quick language lesson of 'a hui hou'... sure do miss doing that !
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  3:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Momi,

I didn't know I was in the Hawaiian Air catalog? How funny. Who was the narrator for the program?

Hey Andy, you're in Hawaiian Air!

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  3:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Darin

Hey Andy, you're in Hawaiian Air!

Cool, who knew?!?!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  6:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Momi sez: it was the music that played while you board the plane, and that the magazine lists the artists.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.54 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000