Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke on American Idol
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  3:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Hiram,

very funny. How could you possibly remember me from a room with scores of people! OK Maybe I stuck out because I had a terrified look on my face that someone was gonna ask me to play a Bb chord......Yes I still have the high G string on the Kamaka. I have not changed it because I thought changing it to low G would render it more like a guitar and I like the "ukulele-ness" of the string configuration as it is. But I am open to your opinion on the subject, Hiram!

So since I saw you last at Uke Fest West, I've learned how to play. As for the scene in New York, I found the most fantastic bunch of people in the Big Apple who love Hawaiian music and we kanikapila and play for a local hula group too. I have also taken up slack key guitar. So the Kamaka and I feel very lucky to be included in the NYC 'ohana.

And even here, countless people have come to me to mention the 'ukulele in American Idol.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  07:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Ah but audiences are a fickle bunch next week they going do jawaiian an everybody goin vote for whoever did that. --- The music stand on its own and the Grammys are relatively unimportant in the scheme of things. Awards just collect dust on a shelf. Who remembers them any way?
That sums it all up right there. How many people here play Hawaiian music just to get recognition from the audience, or just in the hopes of winning an award? Does the fact that there's now a Grammy category mean that you play different than you did before?

We do this because the music resonates with us, no matter our ancestry. If it resonated with young Mr. Castro - good for him. If he's not that great at it right now, maybe he'll try harder (none of us were hot-spit players from day one - well, except Hiram ).
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  7:40:03 PM  Show Profile
Dear Hiram,

Having known you for some time, I realize that you have your opinions because you are such a fantastic musician. No matter what instrument you touch, you are good on them. I have some wonderful photos of the Hayward Uke Fest where you are wandering around the audience just strumming away, and you were so very comfortable with it.

My son is the same way, he has this special gift. He picked up my ukulele at one of George's kanikapilas and just wailed on it. That was the first time he played that thing! I had been working on it for years. Not fair, you know!

So now, for my feeling somewhat inferior to this young buck, I have to say that he was blessed with something I never received. And that's OK, God does not give everyone the same talents, or all of us would be superfluous.

I think that because you are so talented, you may not realize how many people struggle to get just to first base. It is hard work for them, terribly frustrating and disheartening. And it is a relative thing, what you see in American Idol is probably what my son sees in it, he hates it. But for many folks, it is a bright star to be reached for, really the only time they get a chance to shine. Let them enjoy it.

Keeping that in mind, Hiram, you are in a totally different realm. You probably don't see the point in a show like that, you are blessed to have at your disposal all this talent that you posess. Just my two cents worth, with a lot of aloha for you and all the other musicians on this site,

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  02:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
I like that kid playing the Uke on national tv..talk about great exposure.. thats so needed... so many people have this cheesy opinion of the ukulele as a novelty toy or something.. its good to see people will finally realize its relevance as a beautiful instrument, Im sure the spanish believe its as valid as the guitar..

it didnt help much that Paula Abdul called it a guitar though..

And people like music which means something to them. and to most Hawaiians, thats hawaiian Music, and probably no other kind of Music, to iraqis, thats Iraqian music and no other kind of music, to the Chinese, its Chinese music 100% and no other kind of music.

just because you like 1001 different kinds of music doesnt make you more of a music lover than someone who listens to one song over and over and over..

And I have travelled around the world, and visited many many countries, and i can tell you, even today, 80% of the music I listen to is Hawaiian. with the rest being Chinese.. and on my blog I added English music for all my friends asking me for good English music, and Country western is the only English music i like. (aside from Local style jams) and they cant understand reggae, so thats out..

in fact, I only listen to Chinese music 5% of the time, the rest is just for study.

I am also of the opinion of its not Hawaiian music, its not worth listening to. does that make me some fanatical racist with limits on my knowledge or horizons.. buddy, I dont think anyone could say so..

But I was also in a Tahitian troupe and Being from Hawaii i love Samoan, Tongan, Tahitian and other Polynesian music, though no Polynesian music is anywhere near as developed as Hawaiian.

and Im Chinese too, I love classical Chinese music, and thusly, alot of Asian music too.. because it relates to me, and my heritage. but less than 1% of all Asian music has even 1 English word in it.

Hawaiian is the worlds best music... bar none... because its the only place where you can also get it in English... My family is also Irish, so I like Celtic pipes and fiddle and so on as well.. and i like the spirit of Brazilian music, and some Spanish too

but its all hardly worth listening to really...
and what would it benefit me to listen to India, Arab, African, or Muslim music? it doesnt..

theres nothing wrong with not listening to that music, music which is as far from your heart and heritage and culture and interest, and people, as can possibly be, music that holds no meaning for the listener..

I wonder then, if not for meaning and culture and heritage, why would you bother listening to music? perhaps in your head is just a mindless need for music..? any music will do?

the creation of these songs and these instruments around the world has deep cultural significance and plays an important role in the lives and heritage and identity of the peoples.. they are not created merely for your listening enjoyment.. on the contrary. most were not meant for foreign ears at all.. and many are played only in solemn environments.. sure modern technology gives u everything. but its really quite missing the point completely.

even Hawaiian music was built on the hula, dances and chants that were performed in sacred ceremonies before Gods, Demi-gods, Ali'i and 'Aumakua, the sould of Hawaiians is Hula, and Music is our heart.

so dont think that because a Hawaiian is not interested in other kinds of music that he is stupid or ignorant, or uncomprehending about what true music really is.. on the contrary, I would have to say it is you who lack the true definition and meaning of the root of music in your own heart that causes you to attack others in this way.

there is not other culture on the planet from Pole to Pole, across every ocean from every Isle and continent, from the beginning of man down to today that has more of a nature, or a raw talent for music than Hawaiians, its a complete reliance, from birth. there is no writing, no scrolls, no manuscripts, no stone tablets or plates of metal ores. only the Song, only the Chant, only the dance,

Only the hula.

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou

Edited by - Tetapu on 04/17/2008 02:54:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  03:24:52 AM  Show Profile
I agree about Hawaiian talent for music. It is a very important part of the culture -- from old times to today. Paul and I both firmly believe that to understand a culture, you need to listen to the music, watch the dance and eat the food. Music affects the dance; dance influences the music. And the food gives you insight to many things -- economics, love for the land, nutrition, use of natural resources.

I think if more people heard Bill Tapia, they would not think `ukulele is a dinky toy for playing with. Or Herb, Jr., or Jake, or Keoki or Kawika Kamakahi, etc., etc., etc. And many who think a soprano uke is all there is and do not like the plunky sound of it don't even know about other sizes of `ukulele to get deeper and more mellow sound.

Well, it is darned time they learn, I say!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  06:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
YouTube has also done a lot to change the way people perceive the ukulele. Just take Jake's virtuoso performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" in Central Park as an example:

http://tinyurl.com/5lfqsy

As you can see, the various versions that have been posted to YouTube have received over 4.5 million views to date and the comments express nothing short of amazement (as they should). Obviously just this one video (and there are plenty of others) has already had a huge impact.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  02:57:04 AM  Show Profile
I realy enjoyed Castro's rendition and think exposing IZ and the uke was good. But maybe that is because I am not star struck by IZ (or the Cazimero's). For me IZ is too sweet and the Cazimeros sound like the Kingston trio without good lyrics. For those that are star struck by IZ and Cazimero, excuse this one-time blunt opinion. It's not necessary but it feels good. I am having a Hikabe honesty moment.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 04/18/2008 04:17:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  06:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Guavasunrise,
You are too silly. You look like a monkey and your fart joke stinks. You seem to enjoy human folly and make light of everything. You remind me of my brother. It must be fun hanging out with you. Drop in if you are in SF bay area. Aloha...

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  06:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

Guavasunrise,
You are too silly. ... It must be fun hanging out with you.
He is, Hiram, and it is.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  06:52:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

Guavasunrise,
You are too silly. You look like a monkey and your fart joke stinks. You seem to enjoy human folly and make light of everything. You remind me of my brother. It must be fun hanging out with you. Drop in if you are in SF bay area. Aloha...

Thanks, Hiram. I wanted to preserve your post in case you had a change of mind and wanted to edit or delete it later on. It's not often that I get paid a compliment like that and so I treasure them on the rare occasion that it does happen.

I do very much enjoy human folly, as you put it, and enjoy making light of things whenever possible, because life is just too short to waste being negative all the time. Maybe it's something contagious I caught from a 34-year-old friend of mine who has recently taken up residence in our local hospice and who behaves as if she's just waiting around for the party to begin. Laughter seems to be the best medicine for a lot of what ails us, and so I'm glad that my lolo sense of humor had that effect on you on this fine Friday morning. Aloha...

And now to try and get this thread back on track regarding Jason Castro singing "Over the Rainbow", as Braddah IZ said before, "Support all things Hawaiian --- support 'um full on."

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  05:30:16 AM  Show Profile
Well, while American Idol epitimizes our generic, commercial culture...
Most people think that's what big-time music is...
Lights, violins, slick everything...

But while it's not our kanikapila stuff, Jason's essential presentation was pretty respectable in my book...he did well, and a few more (lots more) are now investigating a little deeper into things Hawaiian and this legend IZ.
On the Panel, even Simon wasn't a jerk...now that's a night to remember!

What I like to see in people, is what I call natural talent...
and having "natural package" attributes.
The Beatles had natural talent and were a wonderful "package".
And lots of their real personality bubbled through...

But they were also polished up....But compared to today's slickness seems way acceptable and natural...

Many of the primitive 60's songwriters and their less slick groups wrote and laid down what are still the definitive versions...(the essence was there, even with often primitive playing skills.
Look at Loving Spoonful (John Sebastian), Mamas and Papas, The Byrds, CSNY, The Grateful Dead...
Many could hardly play when they started, especially by today's standards...
but the force of their useful desires (both musical and other types of desire!) drove the human need to reach out, express, and maybe get a moment or two of fame.

Many young people, and a few of us (where did the last 30 years go) "pre-seniors" still have a little delusional fire--or at least envy it!

I wish I could recapture more of my youthful "Pele"....

Anyway, I'm on caffeine, and I can ramble
just not to the Shania Twain extent, where ya' wonder...
What's real.

American Idol and current commercial culture does not encourage much REAL ART...

But underneath all of us, and all artists and "wannabe" artists...somewhere UNDER the rainbow is the essence or soulful need to express. Sometimes we need to dig and find the lava tubes that let the natural forces bubble up and spit some fire around...

But I thought that Jason, his voice and performance are respectable...
We were all cuter when we were younger...hey, if Simon can be nice, maybe I can too.

Of course, it's not Iz, but a decent polished presentation still essentially based on Iz's twisted, but great version.
Remember, Iz recorded this song several times with different production, feel and execution...indeed, IZ's original produced version didn't have the magic....
Most producers would have said, "Give it up IZ...that song won't work...
But his producer said he "always kept a tape on" when Iz was "exploring" and playing...even when it wasn't perfect...]

Lucky for the world...
"Art will find a way" (Jurassic Park philosophy!)
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  06:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

Remember, Iz recorded this song several times with different production, feel and execution.
Twice, actually. One version released on "Ka `Anoi," then the iconic version from "Facing Future," which came from an early-morning demo session made before Israel decided to leave the Makaha Sons of Ni`ihau. Great story about the latter session is at http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/09/DDGNKBLRRV1.DTL
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
I hate to ask the obvious question here but did anyone get what type of uke Mr. Castro is playing. I tried to pick it up on The Tube but it went by too fast.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  3:31:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapuna

I hate to ask the obvious question here but did anyone get what type of uke Mr. Castro is playing.
It's an Oscar Schmidt OU5 ukulele.

Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  3:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
That's kind of funny that Oscar already has it in the uke description on the link you posted!!!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000