Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Lyrics for Kealohalani
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  05:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

One will always get scolded or criticized no matter what. but your question about I laila. It is pronounced I lyla and not ila ila as some people do. Even Johny did that it is the same with onaona pronounced onowna and not ona ona. It is related to how some Hawaiian words are pronounced in song or conversation. Not an esay task. But always ask if in doubt.

I agree that no matter how hard we try, we are going to get scolded. As there are few formal teachers of these things, I have come to realize that scolding is teaching and accepting it graciously is learning.

That being said, no matter how much we respect both the kupuna who may be manaleo and the younger scholars of `olelo Hawai`i, there does not seem to be a definitive source for answers to the question like this one. This one hits home with me because I had a recording artist that we all know and respect hear me sing and scold me to pronounce these "i-lai-la" and "o-nao-na." So I changed my ways - only to have a revered kupuna who is also a respected haku mele tell me that I was doing it wrong and that it should be "i-la-i-la" and "o-na-o-na."

So, on some matters like these, there is textbook correct, musical performance correct, and old-timer native speaker correct. These don't always match up. So it will be impossible to please all of the people all of the time. No matter how much you respect your personal mentor or kumu, a second opinion wouldn't be a bad idea. A third might resolve any sleepless nights you have had over the issue. And a twentieth might provide you with a statistically sound sample to base your final performance decision on.

I would love for Keola D. to weigh in on this. (If I look deeper in the thread, perhaps he has.)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  06:01:03 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

I would love for Keola D. to weigh in on this. (If I look deeper in the thread, perhaps he has.)

He has in this thread.

Edited by - mike2jb on 04/06/2009 06:05:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Mike - thanks for reminding us of that thread. Great content to a frequent question with varied answers.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  3:33:48 PM  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j81g9W-4P6g - This video, posted on You Tube by our Taro Patch braddah, Kawika, is of Aunty Irmgard's `ohana singing and dancing Puamana. You can hear them pronouning o-na-o-na. I would reckon the haku mele pronounced it the way she wanted it pronounced and the way that was the common way of pronouncing it at that point in time.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  4:11:34 PM  Show Profile
But that could have been common in her houshold, and not actually be correct. In our house, we dropped the final vowel off many Italian words. Parmesiana became parmesan,for instance. My mother always pointed out that she didn't speak "real" Italian, but a local dialect from the area her parents were from. That's why we ask lotsa questiones.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  9:24:12 PM  Show Profile
As posted in another thread about puamana Keola D writes eloquently about the pronunciation of onaona and i laila. refer to it since it has been discussed before. Keola does not say right or wrong about it just what might be regarding sung pronunciation and conversational pronunciation. Go see it and the visit will be worth it. Oh yeah mike2jb has linked it in his post in this thread.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 04/08/2009 9:25:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000