Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Peterson Body Beat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried or heard anything about the Peterson "Body beat" BB-1 metronome? It seems like it could be usefull for keeping tempo while performing.

Bob

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  1:30:01 PM  Show Profile
It looks like a cool practice tool.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  11:01:02 AM  Show Profile
Update
I bought one and recieved it about two hours ago. I used it on one song and packed it back up. It is not worth the money. You have to step through the menu to change the tempo and that limits its usefullness. If you want to set it on the fly while performing it is not at all practical. It also buzzes on each vibration at a level that can be heard in a quiet room. Maybe on stage it would be quiet enough.

To change it you pull it off you belt, poke the mode button three times to get to the bpm, push the up/down keys to set the tempo, push Mode to get back to home and then push the start button. Its too much work.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  11:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sounds like a poor design...you should be able to tap the beat to set it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  6:22:19 PM  Show Profile
Do you guys use metronomes during performances?

I know drummers who use the blinking ones, but haven't seen any guitarists who do.

I use my metronome all the time when practicing though.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  10:53:04 AM  Show Profile
I am performing for the first time this weekend and was looking for a way to keep from rushing. I have thought about using my Peterson Tuner/metronome for a visual but if I have to look down too much that would not be good. I also think it would be a real bad idea to mess around with my focus while trying to play.
If the Body Beat had presets it would be fine. I will revew it on Musicainas firend and maybe someone at peterson will see it. It is a good idea but the configuration makes it nearly useless.The whoe thing weighs about as much as a CD case with a CD in it. It is attractive, but also very plastic!
Hey, maybe in the future it will get improved.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  01:47:29 AM  Show Profile
I have to update my evaluation.
This unit is easier to set than I had previously reported.
I was preparing for my first gig and my paniced brain failed to notice a few key things about the body beat.

The mode button jogs sequencially through the settings quite like setting a digital clock.
I discovered that the BPM can be set and "good-to-go" in a reasonable amount of time because it is not necessary to finish cycling back to "home". My error! The metronome will function at any jog point during adjustments.
So, it takes about 5 seconds (with practice) to re-set the unit.
If left on the BPM jog point, it will reset to home and the user needs only push the mode once, then the up/down keys to set BPM, Two pokes and you can set time sig.
One thing remains however. In a quiet room--like you may expect for a classical guitar recital for example--the buzz from the vibrating unit may be audible especially on the accent beat. I dont think the accent can be taken out and I have not found a way to control the vibration intensity. It seems fixed. I am doing a classical recital this Sunday and will find that out for sure. I will post about the buzzing later.

So, it is in fact useful but the audience may notice that you are setting something between songs. For me, my nerves cause me to speed up and rush things along, so maybe that would not be too bad of a trade off.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  10:58:01 AM  Show Profile
My final thoughts on the Peterson Body Beat

The accent beat can be taken out by setting the "Beat" to Zero
and the vibration buzz is not noticible in a quiet room. I just did a test at a classical guitar recital (I played only slack key :)and no one detected it.

After finally figuring it out, I like it.
It will probably end up being my favorite metronome for practicing and I will use it for playing out too.
The price is still way out of line!

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 07/20/2008 10:58:30 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000