Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 High G Vs. Low G
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  4:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo ia 'oukou! I think ordering online will be the way to go. I no tink da stores ova hee get um.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  07:12:54 AM  Show Profile
I don't really play uke, more like play AT uke. But lack of knowlege never stopped me from having 2cents, just 2sense. I like the high string 'cause it lets me play clawhammer banjo style stuff on the uke. If I attempt much melody stuff, I think I would want the low tuning for the extra range and bottom end. Obviously, I need a double-neck uke. And two roadies to carry stuff when I find a jam somewhere.Wanda says "Wish in one hand, spit in the other, see which one gets full." I have more than enough stuffs to try to practice now, no double neck uke's are in my future right now.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  08:16:55 AM  Show Profile
Even if you put a capo at the fifth fret of a nylon string guitar and only play the top four strings -- it is not going sound like an ukulele. And a six string ukulele strung "like" a guitar is still not going to sound like a guitar. Das why!

The Clear Worth strings sound better to my ear than the "brown" ones. They last a long time and you get two sets when you by a string package.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

Even if you put a capo at the fifth fret of a nylon string guitar and only play the top four strings -- it is not going sound like an ukulele. And a six string ukulele strung "like" a guitar is still not going to sound like a guitar. Das why!

The Clear Worth strings sound better to my ear than the "brown" ones. They last a long time and you get two sets when you by a string package.

Cool!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  6:35:59 PM  Show Profile
hi g all da way! wen i play wit low strings dass wen i buss out da guitar. :-) i love da traditional, hi-g ukulele sound!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  05:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i'm a low G player because i like the larger range it gives me. but, re-entrant picking sure can be pretty. if you have it, listen to the uke behind petty booka's "ukulele lady": i tried to duplicate it until i realized it was a classic high G pattern...

you can also try playing the tahitian way: G C E A where the G and the A are low. that is, in order of pitch, the G string is the lowest, the A string is one full step above that, the C string is two steps higher, and the E is two above that. i find myself trying to play melody notes on the E string.

Go to Top of Page

Elaine
Akahai

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  6:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elaine's Homepage
One of my favorite `ukulele teachers, Auntie Lois, told me that if you had more than one `ukulele (and you can never have too many) you should have at least one of them strung with a low G. Consequently I tried several types of wound low G strings (including a guitar string recommended by a luthier) on our `ukuleles and was never happy with the results. One of the biggest problems was the squeeky sound that occurred whenever I moved my fingers up or down the fretboard. The other was a weird "buzzy" sound...which could have been my fault entirely. Herb Ohta, Jr. (another one of my favorite `ukulele teachers) suggested I try fluorocarbon strings because the low G was not wound. Taylor and I did a little research and testing and came up with our own line of fluorocarbon strings, Dakine Line, that we're now selling on our website: www.kani-ka-pila.com Besides having a low G that is not wound, the other advantage to Dakine Line is that you can buy a single low G without having to buy the whole new set of strings.

We're now in the process of restringing all of our `ukuleles with Dakine Line and are extremely happy with the results.

Elaine

Edited by - Elaine on 07/10/2008 6:40:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  08:01:22 AM  Show Profile
Link-ee no work-ee. On the tenor-6, I prefer low-G. On the tenor-4 I use G. FWTW!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  09:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

Questions:
1. Which do you play?
2. Which do you like better?
3. Can soprano 'ukulele like the one I have be tuned to low G?

My answers below
My answers to the first two:
1. low
2. low
3. Wow I just don't see the need to make a soprano low g

I have more than 1 uke and a couple are in high g(reentrant). I do like it once in a while. Some songs are really intended for low g

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  09:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapuna

Just ask Ohta-San. From his bio: "With a desire to create a fuller sound as a solo artist, Ohta-san was the originator of the low G string to expand the `ukulele's lower note abilities to play more complex genres of music such as jazz, pop, classical, Latin, Japanese, Broadway tunes, and sweet ballads." On many of his recordings, he plays a Martin soprano with a low G.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
Akahai

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  6:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elaine's Homepage
Sorry. I fixed it: www.kani-ka-pila.com

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  01:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
wow! Ohta-san was the first to use a low G string? i need to read more about him - which bio did you read?

gcea-fully,
keith

Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  08:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
And What!!! I still don't see the need to make a soprano low g. It is the classic reentrant symbolization of a uke. Leave the poor thing alone.
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

Just ask Ohta-San. From his bio: "With a desire to create a fuller sound as a solo artist, Ohta-san was the originator of the low G string to expand the `ukulele's lower note abilities to play more complex genres of music such as jazz, pop, classical, Latin, Japanese, Broadway tunes, and sweet ballads." On many of his recordings, he plays a Martin soprano with a low G.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:12:16 AM  Show Profile
I bought one low G string to try out. My only complaint is the $3.00 shipping charge for one string. It can go in an envelope and mailed for $.41 even handling it wouldnʻt justify $3.oo.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:38:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:

And What!!! I still don't see the need to make a soprano low g. It is the classic reentrant symbolization of a uke. Leave the poor thing alone.

Well, just 'cause you and I wouldn't want a low G on a soprano doesn't mean a genius like Ohta-san, who plays mostly jazz on his, shouldn't. Let the trailblazers redefine genres, and we can choose to follow or not depending on our tastes and abilities.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000