Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Kris Fujikami
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Aloha Ukers. Slack key festival went well this past weekend in Hilo. Great turnout. A recend graduate of Keeau high school by the name of Kristopher Fujikami was about five sets ahead of me and boy was I impressed by this young uker. Especially when he and his mom (she plays keyboard) did dueling banjos. You will hear from this boy in the future and you heard it here first (I think). Seems like the Jakes and Jills (Those young guys and gals inspired by Jake and James Hill) are taking over the concert scene and us old slackers will have to go back to the backyard kanikapila. Ha.
Keep it slack and tickle that uku ladies and gents!

parotatch
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  1:42:39 PM  Show Profile
His name is spelled Fuchigami. He was easily the highlight of the festival, even getting his mom involved now. I have posted here several times regarding this fast rising talent. He was at last year's festival. Uncle, if you recall, he also played for us during the lunch buffet at Naniloa during that 2006 Uke workshop.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  08:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Ah, I missed his performance at last year's festival but do remember him now at the lunch at the workshop. But he was playing Jake's stuff which is too much dissonance chordations for me to swallow while eating lunch. But if he does his own brand of music like he did Saturday I am definitely buying his CD when it comes out. Mahalo for brining me up to speed Parotatch. Please let me know whenever he and his mom are performing in Hilo. You know I love kyboards or any rythim backup. I'll be sure to bug ehcc to invite him to be part of the concert series.
Go to Top of Page

KrisPapa
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  10:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit KrisPapa's Homepage
Aloha everyone. I was just browsing and stumbled across this post. I'm Kris's dad. Thank you for the kind words you have said about my son. He loves his ukulele and loves performing. He will be thrilled to see this post about him.

He played at the festival in 2005 and 2006 but was told last year by EHCC that they wouldn't be needing him so he didn't perform last year. He was very honored that they called him this year and asked him to perform again.

He has his own website if you would like to know more about him. It is www.krisfuchigami.com. Also, he just went into the studio this week to begin recording his first CD so we are really excited about that.

Anyway, thank you again everyone for your kind words. People like you really encourage Kris to keep on performing. Mahalo!

Edited by - KrisPapa on 08/14/2008 12:11:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  5:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Ho you guys gotta check out Kris's videos. He da bonb! Keep up da good work! Kris's papa, glad you wen lose da bet fo get him one good ukulele! :-)

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

KrisPapa
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  7:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit KrisPapa's Homepage
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm really happy you folks like Kris's playing. Da_joka, I'm glad I got Kris his first quality ukulele too. It was a strain on my wallet but I'm always rewarded when I see how much he enjoys playing his ukulele. Guavasunrise, thanks for complimenting my wife. She always felt that she was just the background backup and didn't look for any recognition. But when she read your post, she was really happy that someone actually noticed and appreciated her music. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  8:41:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KrisPapa

Guavasunrise, thanks for complimenting my wife. She always felt that she was just the background backup and didn't look for any recognition.
Eh howzit KrisPapa. Us guys all know that behind every great man stands a really great you know who. Without your wife's background backup on keyboard, the overall depth of the music would be much shallower. It's sort of like having a really good bass player that nobody pays any attention to -- until he stops playing. The difference is subtle, yet the impact is huge. It's like eating one onolicious bowl of limu ahi poke. Try take away da inamona and limu kohu, and it's just not da same. Oh, sorry eh. Seems like I tend to always want to talk about food.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  9:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e KrisPapa - he is indeed a talent to be reckoned with. Haha - I agree whole heartedly, naturally, with what GuavaSunrise said about behind every great man is a what, Braddah Ed? Hmmm, could it be a WOMAN? Nah, nah, it is just you gotta have a whole support system, family first believes in your talent, appreciates it and supports it. Den your friends, and next...THE WORLD! Most of us here in da Taro Patch discovered Kris back in April after he played at The Merrie Monarch Festival. I had stumpled upon one of his videos on You tube and posted it back on April 13. Please look under talk story every Sunday, where I post what I think are fun and worthwhile videos pertaining to Hawaiian music and culture. And sometimes I throw in something non-Hawaiian just because it is fun or makes an important statement or impact. That way, sometimes, we find someone whose talent truly needs to be recognized and supported. I am definitely happy and excited to hear that he is recording. Make sure you keep us up to date on that info. This huge Taro Patch `ohana likes to support one of the family. Tell Kris to come on Taro Patch and wala`au with us.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  06:38:31 AM  Show Profile
I wondah why Paul go stay wit me for tirty-fie yeahs 1) no musical talent 2) no mo kala, I am on a penshun, you no dat -- I da one retiah'd, Paul is NOT pau hana 3) I allatime make Paul cook da rice, I make em sticky clumpy kine, but he stay love me.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  07:59:36 AM  Show Profile
This is a family forum. Ask that kinda question later on.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

KrisPapa
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  08:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit KrisPapa's Homepage
wcerto, I think Paul must stay with you because you know how to treat him right. That's nice.

I asked Kris if he wanted to join this taropatch ohana but he said he shame fo talk to all you knowledgeable adults.

Anyway, just to update all of you folks. Kris auditioned at Kope Kope Cafe (in the Hilo Shopping Center next to Restaurant Miwa) last night. They liked him so much they asked him to perform every first, second, and third Thursday night from 7:00p to 9:00p. So, we will be there starting this Thursday (8/21/08). If you have nothing to do, come relax in the cafe and enjoy his music. See their announcement at this website:

http://www.kopekopeespresso.com/liveevents.html

Take care everybody...
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  09:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Ho, KrisPapa, if da boy stay shame talk to us who have aloha for him den how he gonna play dat nice music in front of strainjahz? He gotta make da kurraj. We no bite. Well, OK, sometimes, but not one young kane wot still wet behind da eeyahz. Shootz, now secret out why Paul stay wit me.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  09:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

but he said he shame fo talk to all you knowledgeable adults.
How does he think we get to be "knowlujj..." --- "nawlidgeiee..." --- "knollyah..." --- --- --- "smaht"?

We learn from folks like him sharing with us.

Edited by - Retro on 08/19/2008 09:47:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  10:43:29 AM  Show Profile
"all you knowledgeable adults."
I ain't never been acused of being either one of those before. "Oh, the humanity~!"
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

KrisPapa
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  11:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit KrisPapa's Homepage
I kinda thought that word was going to get a lot of attention... I wonder if I spelled it korrekly.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  11:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:

I asked Kris if he wanted to join this taropatch ohana but he said he shame fo talk to all you knowledgeable adults.

Most of what I've learned in life has come from talking to knowledgeable adults. (And more than a few knowledgeable kids.)

Plus there are different kinds of knowledge. Sound like Kris has more playing and performing knowledge than most of us adults.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/19/2008 11:36:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000