Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 airline carry-on
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  10:37:50 AM  Show Profile
An interesting letter. Any ideas concerning its validity or authenticity?
http://www.local1000.com/carryon.pdf

I had not heard of AFM Local 100 before, but they seem to have a lot of major members.

Dusty

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  11:41:17 AM  Show Profile
Dusty,

I hope it is true. However, it is so general that it simply can't apply to all instruments. Cellos? Drum sets? It also says nothing about carriers charging for instrument carryons. So, you get to buy your cello (or guitar :-( a ticket.

If anyone can figure out how to get more info, it would be a good thing. One thing to do is to query rec.travel.* and rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic newsgroups.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  12:29:00 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

I looks fake to me. Yes, the question of Very Large carry-on's is not addressed and would definitely be addressed in a real letter. So, I CAAAN take my Bosendorfer Imperial Grand on board with me after all!! Also FAA regulations, which take precedence in this case, specifically give the power to the airline crew to reject ANYTHING they deem unsafe or disruptive (including passengers themselves). However, it is nice the way they crinkled the paper to make it look more authentic.

IM(not so)HO,

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/25/2003 4:37:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  12:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Dusty

I just copied the letter and am going to keep a copy in my case. Its a good one to have if you are traveling. I've not had a problem at security check points it's a few pesky gate attendents that haven't allowed me to carry it on.
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  3:58:37 PM  Show Profile
If this letter is real I'll eat my shorts.

Not only is it overly vague, but I recently looked into airplane rules on transporting guitars. Besides size/weight restrictions, they specifically mention basses and other large instruments (not guitars, though), and that in order to transport them, you need to buy an extra ticket.
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile
It looks real. Its from the government, of course it is vague.

Looks like it might get you past a security checkpoint, but that doesn't mean the gate attendant will allow you to carry a full size guitar on to the plane without buying another ticket. The instrument probably still has to fall within the size restrictions of a standard carry on.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  03:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm.... I suppose one of us could actually write a letter to either the sender or the recipient of this "letter" asking for clarification and/or confirmation of authenticity. It would be a great letter to have on one's person when traveling.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  12:43:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cdyas

It looks real. Its from the government, of course it is vague.
Yes, it LOOKS like it is from the government, but such things are very, very easy to forge. I do not think many airline crew members (the last hurdle to pass for carry-on) would be fooled, or even care, about such a letter.

Tell ya what, somebody (but not me !!)should take this letter and
try it a dozen times and report back on statistical success rate !

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/26/2003 12:45:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  3:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Local 1000 is real, and so is the letter.

The local was created to serve the needs of touring performers -- John McCutcheon, among others, has worked tirelessly on this issue for years.

Obviously, transporting intruments is only one of the issues facing working musicians -- health insurance, instrument insurance and financial security are pretty high on the list.

Actually, for most of us, we've long ago dealt with flying our axes -- like maybe 25 years ago in my case -- so it's a pretty minor deal, really.

Anywho, the letter is refering to carry-on baggage, and instruments that would fit under the seat or in the overhead compartment -- like fiddles and mandolins. `Ukuleles, too. Baby Taylors? That's a big maybe.. I've been told "no" and I'd rather not risk it.

As I've said before, I know of very few working musicians who do not routinely check their guitars. If you are really worried, you know the options... proper case, proper packing and shipping, "beach guitar," travel guitar.... or no guitar.

Can you get a full-sized guitar in a soft case on board? Sometimes. Maybe. Wanna chance getting stranded on a connection? I don't, I do this too much.

Does this letter mean the airlines have to let you carry on a guitar if you show it to them at check-in? Well, you can try. My guess is not a chance, sorry.

Concertinas are a different story.

Yours for fun,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  4:29:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Anywho, the letter is refering to carry-on baggage, and instruments that would fit under the seat or in the overhead compartment -- like fiddles and mandolins. `Ukuleles, too. Baby Taylors? That's a big maybe.. I've been told "no" and I'd rather not risk it.

But this is exactly why I think the letter is forged (or at least selectively edited). It does NOT say that it is referring ONLY to instruments that would fit under the seat, and any real letter, especially one from the TSA, would not make such a glaring error. These letters are certainly reviewed by TSA lawyers before sending aren't they?

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/31/2003 4:33:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Ummmm, are you saying the AF of M is knowingly perpetuating a fraud? Well, I suppose it's possible.

Nonetheless, the upshot is the same -- don't expect to get a guitar on board da plane by using this letter.

And, if we really want to get picky here, the letter in question refers specifically to "your members," meaning of course card-carrying members of the Union. Which would leave out the bulk of the readership here, wouldn't it?

All in all an amusing diversion.

Peace

M

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000