Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha From Maui
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mauibuilt75
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:11:40 AM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone. My name is Josh Sumibcay. (Su-mib-kai) That's how you pronounce my last name. My grandfather was Filipino, my grandmother was Hawaiian. her last name was Luna. My mothers side is Haole. I live on the beautiful island of Maui, on the west side in Lahaina. I play music for a living at the Royal Lahaina Resort and also the Ka'anapali Beach Resort.

Music has always been my passion. I grew up listening to music, playing music and even learned to read and write music. After I graduated high school, I went to the mainland for college. I forgot how to read and write music, cause I wasn't doing any of that there. It's all by ear and from the heart now, and actually, I think it sounds better coming from the heart. After I came back from the mainland, I then started working at a Luau (Old Lahaina Luau). It was there the fire was ignited my passion for music once again. I had the urge to play music, and ALOT of it. So my brother set me up with an audition for a production company for a lounge gig. I didn't think I was good enough for something like this, but I went anyway. I got the gig, and I was amazed they actually liked me. It all started there as a 'job'. The only thing, it never felt like a job, cause it was still my passion. I looked forward to going into work everyday. and 12 years later, I still do.

People that come to listen to me play music are usually there for the same reason, to eat dinner. About 95% of the people that come to eat, end up with the most memorable night of their vacation. Many of the guest that are musicians themselves, can tell the amount of heart I put into my music. I don't even have to tell the stories of the meles I do. That's one thing I strive to get better on. All the guest that come are very appreciative of the entertainment we do here on Maui. At the Royal Lahaina, I have a hula dancer that does a hula every other number, and the guest really eat that up. I will put up a video of me at work in the near future. I am going to bring my camera tonight actually and tape a few songs.

All in all, I think to do what you are passionate about for a living, is a HUGE blessing. There's no stress ever, the atmosphere is always pleasant, and it's just one long jam session. In the end, everyone loves music.

It's been a very pleasant welcome here at taropatch, and I'm sure I will meet plenty of members with the Aloha I'm so used to here in the islands. Mahalo for the invite, and I will be seeing all of you here at taropatch.

Malama Pono,
Josh Sumibcay (mauibuilt75)

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha Josh -

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. Sounds like you have a nice couple of gigs and a great attitude.

I hope I get to meet you when I'm on Maui next time.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Josh,

Hope to hear you play while having a nice meal. Look forward to more videos.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Josh. I am very glad you came to Taro Patch and so very thankful that you are sharing your music with so many people. If your music can put the spark of aloha in the hearts of all those tourists who listen to you, you have fulfilled an important and beneficial kuleana. Sharing your aloha and your passion is a great way to live.

Once again, welcome. And mahalo nui loa.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:11:01 AM  Show Profile

Yes - welcome to the patch Josh, also hope to see your show next time
we are on Maui, keep us posted of any changes.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
Aloha, welcome to the kalo loi...looking fwd to seeing you either in person or on YT.

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  2:01:10 PM  Show Profile
E O Josh...

Where and what nights are you playing now? Maybe I need to take a drive from Up-Country. Welcome to da lo`i, Brah!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

mauibuilt75
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  2:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at the Royal Lahaina from 6pm - 9:30 pm. Mostly Hawaiian Music with a hula dancer. At the Royal Ocean Terrace restaurant.

Wednesday and Friday at the old Embassy from 4:30pm - 8:30m pm. Mostly upbeat island music, during happy hour next to the Pool.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  3:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by mauibuilt75

Aloha everyone. My name is Josh Sumibcay. (Su-mib-kai) That's how you pronounce my last name. My grandfather was Filipino, my grandmother was Hawaiian. her last name was Luna. My mothers side is Haole. I live on the beautiful island of Maui, on the west side in Lahaina. I play music for a living at the Royal Lahaina Resort and also the Ka'anapali Beach Resort.

Music has always been my passion. I grew up listening to music, playing music and even learned to read and write music. After I graduated high school, I went to the mainland for college. I forgot how to read and write music, cause I wasn't doing any of that there. It's all by ear and from the heart now, and actually, I think it sounds better coming from the heart. After I came back from the mainland, I then started working at a Luau (Old Lahaina Luau). It was there the fire was ignited my passion for music once again. I had the urge to play music, and ALOT of it. So my brother set me up with an audition for a production company for a lounge gig. I didn't think I was good enough for something like this, but I went anyway. I got the gig, and I was amazed they actually liked me. It all started there as a 'job'. The only thing, it never felt like a job, cause it was still my passion. I looked forward to going into work everyday. and 12 years later, I still do.

People that come to listen to me play music are usually there for the same reason, to eat dinner. About 95% of the people that come to eat, end up with the most memorable night of their vacation. Many of the guest that are musicians themselves, can tell the amount of heart I put into my music. I don't even have to tell the stories of the meles I do. That's one thing I strive to get better on. All the guest that come are very appreciative of the entertainment we do here on Maui. At the Royal Lahaina, I have a hula dancer that does a hula every other number, and the guest really eat that up. I will put up a video of me at work in the near future. I am going to bring my camera tonight actually and tape a few songs.

All in all, I think to do what you are passionate about for a living, is a HUGE blessing. There's no stress ever, the atmosphere is always pleasant, and it's just one long jam session. In the end, everyone loves music.

It's been a very pleasant welcome here at taropatch, and I'm sure I will meet plenty of members with the Aloha I'm so used to here in the islands. Mahalo for the invite, and I will be seeing all of you here at taropatch.

Malama Pono,

Aloha e Josh! Pehea 'oe i keia la?

We may not have met before, but there's a good chance that I have heard you play and/or sing when I've visited Maui in the past. My 'ohana and I have been to Lahaina and Ka'anapali numerous times. Who's the hula dancer you have? Kealani Kitaguchi by any chance? If it is, we know each other well. When I went to Maui for the first time (2005), I had three hula lessons with her. Now I study under Leimomi Hoover in Rochester, NH, not too far from where I live in Maine. Besides dancing hula, I also sing and play both piano and 'ukulele. There's a chance that we may be going to Maui again in February, so we'll look out for you somewhere.

Welcome to the patch! If you'd like to e-mail me in private to ask questions or simply talk story, please do so.

Maui no ka 'oi!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

mauibuilt75
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  4:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Kealani (Jan) Kitaguchi is a good friend of mine. She is not my hula dancer at the Royal Lahaina, but she has been my hula dancer at the Hula Grill at the 'Wailers Village' when i filled in for one of the musicians there.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  4:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome.
Feel free to share what you've learned through the years as a "pro."
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  8:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha e Josh! Welcome to the `ohana.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:15:42 AM  Show Profile
Howzit josh,and welcome.What dat instructional video? Nah jus kiddin,sounds good,maybe next time show us da face so we can see you smilin while you playin. Love to hear more,again welcome.Aloha braddah jay
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  2:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Kealani (Jan) Kitaguchi is a good friend of mine. She is not my hula dancer at the Royal Lahaina, but she has been my hula dancer at the Hula Grill at the 'Wailers Village' when i filled in for one of the musicians there.

ISn't she so sweet? You may have been the one that I sang "Hawai'i Aloha" with when I was at the Hula Grill. I've also been called up to sing at the Sea House and in the lobby at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. I don't know if I said this, but I may be going back there over February vacation.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

deanne
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Malama Pono,

Aloha everyone,

My husband and I have had the opportunity to see Josh at the Royal Lahaina Resort. His music is so nice and relaxing. It has a lot of feeling as well. Love it! We purchased his CD and he signed it for us. Such a nice guy. We highly recommend purchasing his CD. I loaded the CD onto our iPods and listen to it all the time, in the car, on the way to school. I used to live on O'ahu and moved to CA in '07 to get married and start nursing school. My husband owns a home in CA, so we felt it best to reside here in CA. We want nothing more than to get back to Hawai'i! I think everyone that leaves Hawai'i probably can't wait to return. When we return, I hope to never say good-bye again. If we can ever sell our home, we will return after I finish nursing school. Until then, all we can do is listen to Hawaiian music, like Josh's, to ease the ache of missing Hawai'i. Perhaps it really only makes us miss Hawai'i more?!? =)

Josh - if you read this post... Do you have any more CD's we can purchase? I bought My Home Maui. Would like to order another. I wish you had a MySpace Music profile where you sold your CD's =)

Mahalos,
Deanne, Dan, & Kalani
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  3:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Next time I go to Maui, I'll look out for you, Josh.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000