Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 We have pictures!!! Shattinger Ukulele, 1920's?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  09:49:55 AM  Show Profile
A friend picked up a 1920's Shattinger ukulele at her neighbor's estate sale.
No numbers or model info visible, but it was bought in the 20's in St. Louis, by our friend's mom.
While Shattinger is still around, the family I talked to didn't have specifics.
He said several builders would have built for the Shattering Piano and Music Co. and than they put the store's label on headstock...which is a common three point on top (Batman uke?)
Tuners are metal with black (plastic or ?) turning pins in back...with a flat head screw in center of black tuning pegs on back side..

It appears to be Koa (or does Mahagony also have the Koa-like "dimples" in grain...) so possibly same koa-esque back, sides and neck, while the top may be spruce or mahogany.
Bridge and nut plain wood...again possibly koa or mahogany.
Neck is flush and fretboard ends at the body...

Nice basic woods inlay (herringbone--three half row.
Also old style inlay circles near sound hole...pin stripe, half herringbone/chevron/, and inlayed "pin-stipe" circle---sorta copies old Nunes and other early 20th century patterns.

Uke is in very good shape...plays, and only a few hints of mild, short, stable "cracks...not deep or spreading cracks in short runs of 1/4" length near the top of body ...running with grain---not deep or "soft" to the touch...
For an instrument that has sat for several decades, not too bad!

Any ideas?
Maybe later our friend can get a picture later, if it sounds worth chasing...
kinda fun stuff...healthy obsession.
Inside Label...
HAWAIIAN UKULELE
made expressly for
SHATTINGER UKULELE COMPANY
St. Louis, Mo

Headstock plate:
Shattinger
Music Co
Everything Musical
St. Louis

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/09/2008 5:34:22 PM

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
http://local.yahoo.com/info-17676603-shattinger-music-company-st-louis

This company seems to have gone through many changes since the uke was fabricated, now being a source of sheet music. Most likely, the company jumped on the bandwagon at the height of the Hawaiian musics appeal on the mainland. Especially the popularity of the uke when it was introduced on the mainland in the SF world fair of 1915. Like the yoyo or frisbee, everybody wanted one, it was a fad. The company contracted out and put their label on it to attract customers to their store. And it worked. The qualiity of the instrument was not comparable to the Martins or early kamakas or even Mahalos made at the time. I don't think it is worth much. It is old though and seemingly antiqueish. You should call the company and ask them what it is worth, if you are thinking of selling.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  5:07:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm still curious what company would have really built it...and if it is koa, does that indicate any area or possible builders?
Being a back yard opportunity, I know I probably would have splurged had I seen it at a yard sale.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/11/2008 04:48:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Please post a picture, it is impossible to make any kind of guess without one.

Not that I'd make an educated guess in any rate. I just like to see pictures of old `ukulele.

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  01:18:48 AM  Show Profile
I will need my assistant who is unavailable...
I'm trying to post JPG pictures here, but it's a first for me...manana maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  5:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Hopefully...
thanks to Momi for tech assist...Uke and case:

Body detail:

Shattinger ID:

Fretboard inlay detail:

Soundhole inlay detail and crack:

Bridge detail:

Back neck detail:

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/09/2008 5:57:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  08:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Thanks for posting the pics.

I have seen a few of these, tho' never with a label or store name. In fact, it looks like it was made by the same maker as mine. Mine does not have the inlays in the fingerboard, tho'.

Mine has an obviously hand carved neck-- slight imperfections and funky finishing. It is all mahogany; from the pics yours is, too. Is the edge of the fingerboard sharp?

There is a similar uke to mine on the wall at Dusty Strings in Seattle right now (or a week ago, anyway.) BTW: That one is listed at $150.

Given that yours was made for a big music store, my first guess would be one of the Chicago builders.

John King knows more about `ukulele history than anyone else-- you might contact him through his website and see if he can help. He drew a blank on mine... but that was about five years ago.
http://www.nalu-music.com/

Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  09:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Wow, it sure is beautiful! Judging from the wear on the fretboard, it looks like it has given someone some musical pleasure at sometime during it's life.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  6:28:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Is the edge of the fingerboard sharp?
quote:

While I didn't give it much of an extreme workout...just some strumming and light plucking...I didn't notice an edge...just the wear on the fingerboard...but nothing uncomfortable on first inspection.
It's in the care of our friend in the foothills.
It actually played ok for my quick "kick the tires" test drive.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  11:54:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've seen a lot of these koa sopranos on Ebay and I always got the impression that they were likely produced in Hawaii (perhaps by Kumulae)in the early years of the 20th century, but were labeled by the seller when they got to the mainland. Check out the photo below from www.ukulele.org. The fretboards are similar. If it wasn't Kumalae, it was likely a contemporary.

Jesse

Edited by - hapakid on 11/11/2008 11:56:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  12:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Jesse -

Could be a Kumalae-- if it is koa. Doesn't look like koa in the pix, tho' I may be wrong. I'd originally thought mine was a Kumalae, too, but further inquiry set me straight.

Here's a quote from another section of the same website:

quote:
There is a good bit of debate among ukulele historians as to whether Kumalae manufactured ukuleles for others to put their labels in. Some feel that Kumalae made large numbers of ukuleles sold under many other brand names. Others feel that if it doesn't say Kumalae anywhere on it, it wasn't made by Kumalae. My feeling is that the truth lies somewhere between these two extremes.

Now there's a definitive answer!

There are a couple of ukes that are similar to mine, & possibly the one in question, on their "Vintage Ukes Q & A" page.

http://www.ukulele.org/?Vintage_Ukulele_Q_%26amp%3B_A

I think it would be worth sending them some pics, too.

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  10:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Now those Kumalae's had some nice curly Koa!
These ukes can become obsessions...too cute.
Need to call uke-anonymous.
It's easy, only 12 half-steps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000