Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Using a wound string on a tenor uke?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doowopper
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  06:37:41 AM  Show Profile
I am a relatively new uke player and have several tenor ukes tuned with reentrant GCEA tuning. On one of them, the C string sounds dead or flat especially when fretting up the neck. I tried Worth (clear and dark) and Aquila strings on that uke with the same result - dead or flat C string. Currently I have Aquila strings on that uke. I thought I would try a wound C string.
I know little about wound strings - hope you don't mind all of the following questions about them. If you can answer some or all of them, that would be great.
1) Will a wound C string possibly improve the sound - make the C string sound less dead or flat?
2) What differences in sound might I expect from a nylon vs. steel vs. aluminum wound string?
3) Which material would you recommend?
4) I looked at a set of Aquila's with a wound string (C string) on the web. No mention is made of what the wound string is made of. Should I assume it is made of nylgut like the other strings in the set?
5) Does anyone make an aluminum or metal wound C string?
6) If I get a a new set of strings with a wound C string, can I just replace the wound string on my uke without replacing the other three strings regardless of whether the wound string matches the brand of string currently on my uke?
Thanks.
Richard

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  07:31:04 AM  Show Profile
There are those who prefer a wound string because it does sound brighter.

My experience with wound strings is that they do require more changing. The metal does wear down. I play a 6 string tenor with a wound low A Aquila strings. After one session I noticed that the wound string was wearing down. By the third session the metal was worn to the nylon. Replaced the worn out string 2 times with Aquila Low G before I switched to a nylon flourocarbon string from a Worth 6 string set. . Flourocarbon string is denser which allows them to be used for low strings. My understanding is that wound strings added more weight to get the lower pitch. (I've also noted that Worth strings are smaller in diameter to nylon sets)

Recently I restrung a concert with a Hilo low G metal wound string. It seems that the metal doesn't wear down as fast as the Aquila. In conversation with another tenor ukulele player, he also experienced Aquila strings wearing down quickly. And he used several brands before he found a more durable metal wound string (sorry didn't get the brand name)

Another point made to me was that from metal wound strings you can experience squeaks when fretting.

I will point out again that my experience with wound strings are low G and low A. Meaning the wear will show what frets you use the most. So when it comes to a low C I can't really say if I'd wear out a low C as fast as a low A. (And maybe that's why the low G Hilo on my concert isn't wearing down as fast)

I admit I do like the sound of a metal wound string. I just want to save a few bucks and time in not having to change frequently. I cannot think of any problem just changing one string or mixing brands. What is important is getting the sound you want or can live with.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  09:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

For what it's worth, I can't stand the sound of the single wound C on the tenor Aquilla sets. I tried one set, and it through the balance of my instrument all to hell. The wound string also fell apart quickly. This is one a tenor with re-entrant tuning.

I have had great luck with both the standard set of Aquillas (no wound C) and with the wound strings from Guadalupe Custom strings. (www.guadalupecustomstrings.com)

Not everyone likes playing on all wound strings. You do pick up a bit more string noise. For me, the tradeoff in tone, projection, balance and longevity more than make up for it. I just have to watch my technique.

One thought-- since the issue is with one particular `ukulele; have you considered that the uke may be the problem and not the strings? I've heard lots of instruments that just dogged out on certain notes, certain frets, or yes, certain strings.

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  12:41:44 AM  Show Profile
I have a Pono mango tenor, off-the-rack. I put on Ernesto (any brand, actually) classical nylon guitar strings (DGBE) and tune DGBE. Sorry, guys; I play 'guitar' fingering!

Dennis Lake (Po Mahina) tried specifically gage string(s) on my baritone, which came off his nylon guitar rack, till we strung the sound I liked. Later, I measured the strings with my micrometer. Now, I buy individually. If I replace with a set, I leave out the string that's my nemesis and put in the gaged "guitar-string". Still, I keep the unused set-string for emergency replacement.

Herb

Edited by - Baritone on 12/10/2008 05:22:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I need to string a new uke and was thinking about a wound 4th. I noticed this deal on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TENOR-LOW-G-Ukulele-string-SAMPLER-SET-Various-brands_W0QQitemZ270314134898QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16224QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The set (from musicguymic in Hawai'i) doesn't contain Worth strings, an obvious contender, but it's a reasonable way to try multiple brands.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

CDon
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  08:40:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I have had great luck with both the standard set of Aquillas (no wound C) and with the wound strings from Guadalupe Custom strings. (www.guadalupecustomstrings.com)

Mark,
What do you do with the left over atring after winding that is not supposed to be cut (to cause the winding to come loose)?
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  2:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
What do you do with the left over atring after winding that is not supposed to be cut (to cause the winding to come loose)?

Actually, that is a very good question. At present I just wind the whole dang thing onto the post. (Teedjus, sure... but what's time to a little pig?)

Try cutting a set and see what happens. Might try the old match trick... or little bitty piece of duct tape.

Seriously, it's no big deal. Any wound string is prone to the same issue. I've had some minor unwinding issues with my nylon strung guitars, but nothing to worry about.

Edited by - Mark on 12/12/2008 3:00:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

CDon
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  4:02:23 PM  Show Profile
I have not had luck with the match trick, at least not with any consistancy. Currently I wind the left over around my finger and tuck the loose end through the loops a couple of times when finished. It works, but looks a little messy...
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  12:41:14 PM  Show Profile
What if you cut the excess string close to the post? It shouldn't unwrap if it cut there because the string is wound around the post and that should be ok. At I tonk that is what would be the case.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

CDon
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  12:49:09 PM  Show Profile
I had already tried that. The string unwound immediately (of course) up to the post. So far so good. By the next day the unwinding worked its way around all of the turns on the post and eventually over the whole string. The first clue that something is wrong is when the string starts going sharp with time...
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  6:20:12 PM  Show Profile
Interesting that. I had a set of Guadalupe strings a while back and that did not happen to me. Wot you tink CDon why would that happen.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

CDon
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  03:27:04 AM  Show Profile
I don't know... I only cut one string to see what would happen. I'll try again on all four when I am ready to take this set off.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  10:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
As far as that paRTICULAR STRING SOUNDING BADLY, I WOULD LOOK at the nut and saddle to make certain they have a crisp, clean break on them. The usual culprit is the nut, where the string slot can become deepened with continuous tuning (string movement) thru the slot over years of playing. The string slot could be too deep, or the string may be actually touching the sides of the string slot in more than one place; ideally it should only contact the nut at the very front edge of the nut, and the slot should be cut away below and behind it so the string does not touch anywhere else. A small set of files, no, a set of small files (I love this language) would be helpful in repairing such a problem.
If the string slot is worn too deeply, and the string might be buzzing on frets, this can be easily remedied with some epoxy of the same color as the nut, or a mixture of baking soda and super glue will also fill a slot nicely, and after drying, can then be filed back out carefully until the string is at the correct height.
Good luck

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000