Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 interesting You Tube of Waimanalo Blues
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  04:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Not sure if Wanda has posted this one or not she is usually WAY ahead of me in the Video department but I hate to admit how long I have been a fan of Arlo and always at Thanksgiving But when I was looking for a You Tube of it I came across Waimanalo Blues that I really enjoyed not sure what it is from but here it is

Alan Moon greets Mr. Palmer before going out to sing for the people gathered at the school safe from the expected tsunami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZqxdjXutA&feature=related

AND
Not trying to make any polital satatements here it is just part of my past so I love it and if you do too here is a great version of Alice's Resturant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8DtpdXZi0M

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Edited by - NANI on 12/03/2008 04:28:35 AM

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  9:50:16 PM  Show Profile
The clip is from a TV show that was about a high school on Moloka'i it only lasted a season or two. Was one of the best shows ever cause the local actors spoke real kine pidgin. The USA folks couldn't keep up with the dialog. The show deals witgh real teenage problems and stuff li'dat.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  03:42:35 AM  Show Profile
I also like Arlo. He posted a very nice original tune about my home town of Haleiwa. The song was originally posted as Haleiwa Blues.

Haleiwa Farewell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVhRRyWIvmw

Bob
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  04:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
OK At least now I got a little more understanding where the clip came from. Wish there was a little more it was cute i never heard of the show itsure NEVER hit the east coast

Bob What a great video of Haleiwa let alone to hear a song I have not heard before from Arlo.

Thanks you both so much for sharing

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  08:58:10 AM  Show Profile
Hoooooo...Kekaula is was some skinny! An I was trying fo figga out who da white hair guy...I had fo read the comments. An dat Kaaihue dude... when he was known as Henry, he wen play one mean center for Punahou back in the Termite Palace days.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 12/05/2008 09:03:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  1:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Chrai spock dis one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GNl-SLUnlg

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  12:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I do not think I have seen such a large assortment of music makers for a long time even a mandolin and a squeeze box in there sounds wonderful thanks for sharing Wanda.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  2:46:35 PM  Show Profile
Yeha, Nani! Now that is a kanikapila. Any kine, erry kine. Can tell just having good fun, all sorts of folks. I think it is a thing of beauty.

One thing what bothers me about Arlo's film is that he says he is there to entertain and then plays Waimanalo Blues. Maybe I am reading more into the song that should be, ahdunno, but it almost seems sacrilege to me to call it entertainment. Well, then maybe he shoulda played the Motorsickle song. But since it was a TVhow maybe the director or producer told him what song to play.

Please don't get me wrong about Arlo -- I like him and have liked him since I was a hippy folksinger in the old days. But not for Hawaiian stuff. So now maybe I can understand what Hawaiian people may not like me or Paul singing Hawaiian music.

It is a great dilemma for me. That is why that one time I posted the thread about if we are kakaroaching the music, which yes we are. Conversely Duke and StudentAcct and Petah Boy etc. all complain no one for jam Hawaiian music.

Yikes. No wonder my brain is all confuze-icated.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  5:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I do not know if I agree or not. I think music is for the enjoyment of the person who listens or preforms it. No one owns a style or type of music. All music is ever evolving sometimes for the better sometimes NOT I for one do not care for Jawaiian but then again I am not a very big fan of Reggie either. It is OK in it's place but not all reggie all the time and I get so tired of Rap I could scream. But then my husband is not a big fan of Classic his idea of Classic is Clapton so around it goes. Me I just love to listen to the wonderful sounds that some people can pull out of a little bit of wood and some strings. It is really kind of amazing when you think about it.
As for Waimanalo Blues I think a lot of folks that live on any coast line find meaning in that song I know I do.
AH well bigger brains than mine will have to sort it all out cause I am Hawaii bound in 11 DAYS.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000