Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Cool Edit Pro 2.1 is available
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  1:05:32 PM  Show Profile
To Andy and others who may have taken my advice not to purchase CEP 2.0 until there was an update:

CEP 2.1 is now available and it seems that most of the issues I have had with it are resolved. (I am a "rabid" fan of CEP but have been forced to use previous version CEP 1.2a for system stability reasons).

Make no mistake - CEP is a serious audio tool with hundreds of functions that can create fully professional results. It does not do MIDI but is the best tool I have found for acoustic multitracking.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/09/2003 1:08:10 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  1:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I got the less costly version, Cool Edit 2000. Maybe someday I'll upgrade.

Thanks for the heads up Larry. The link is http://www.syntrillium.com.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  2:31:29 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I know you have CE2000 but be aware that the capability of CEP is many many times greater than CE2000. It is kind of like trying to compare a rubber band stretched across a cigar box to a custom Grimes!

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/09/2003 2:32:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I don't feel ready for the big guns yet. Hey brah, I like my rubber band stretched across a cigar box!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  4:42:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm interested in audio editing, but I'd like to learn something about it before I invest in software. Can anyone give me a suggestion for a beginning tutorial on this subject? I don't have the stamina to wait at Guitar Center for someone with this knowledge to bless be with their time.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  7:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Yooze likes yer Cigar Box huh? Yeah... A'ole pilikia Brah... But when you start looking for more than two channels for multitracking CE2000 will no longer give you quite the "spraaooong" (sound of rubber band) you desire.

Chunky,

There is supposed to be a pretty good book on CEP available from and independent publisher, but you can get links to from the syntrillium site. Audio processing on a PC is also discussed in several books available from various sources, such as MuciciansFriend, etc. By the way, the term "editing" refers only to cut and paste operations, and leaves out many others, such as noise reduction, equalization, reverb processing, mastering etc.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/09/2003 8:13:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  9:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

... Can anyone give me a suggestion for a beginning tutorial on this subject?...

What would you like to know? I've found that I can only learn things by spending my own money and making my own mistakes <grin>.

Lessee - computer music has two big categories:

1. midi - musical instrument digital interface. The computer manages a stream of codes which tell an instrument to play a note and do lots of other musical things. The computer can also provide an instrument to play the note, either in hardware or software, so a computer can be a complete midi system.

2. audio - real analog music is converted into digital form then this digital representation is stored, processed, and either written to some media and/or turned back into real analog music. Getting the music in requires an analog to digital converter, getting it out requires a digital to analog converter - your basic doofus sound card has both, just not really great ones.

Since we're interested in recording and processing our guitar playing, I'll only refer to the second category further.

Core audio software provides two basic functions -

1. wave editor - two tracks, detailed control of those two tracks, ability to cut, paste, set markers and create playlists, convert formats (make mp3s, for instance).

2. multitrack - record tracks, then overdub. Cut and paste. Mix down to 2 tracks.

Some software, like Cool Edit 2000 or N-Track, only handles one function. Others, like Cool Edit Pro, handle both sides.

In addition to these two basic functions, software packages take advantage of the numeric nature of digital audio to do all kinds of wonderful processing - adding reverb, echo, distortion, applying compression and filters, making things louder or softer, reducing noise, and many more. There are standards for "plug-ins" on different platforms, and the plug-ins add additional or higher quality capabilities. Core software runs the gamut in price from free to multi-thousands of dollars. Plugins also range from free to thousands.

When I've purchased sound cards they usually included some kind of audio software. If you have one of these packages you might be able to begin exploring digital audio at no cost, and this is the best way to figure out the basics.

There are also many digital audio forums on the internet where you can try to catch the vocabulary and some recommendations for software and hardware. You might try a Google search for "digital audio tutorial" and see what you find.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  9:51:21 PM  Show Profile
The cool Edit book by Richard Riley isn't all that great. Seems like it pretty much rehashes stuff in Sentryllum Help documents. Also, it doesn't seem to cover very basic questions of "how to." I think it wouyld be more useful to a moderatly experienced user than a beginner.
Raymond
San jose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000