Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Maybe I found my kuleana???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  04:32:11 AM  Show Profile
You know, it has been one year since my heart problems. I am happy, no, ecstatic to have survived the past year. It took a lot of soul searching and a lot of hard work and a whole lot of mental adjustment to come to grips with my changed life. I have oft thought about why I was given a second chance, a chance at a do-over. I am sure I was left here because there are things yet to accomplish. I have been saying for a year that I have a kuleana, I just did not know what it was. Now maybe I know.

As many of you may know, I really like making cards and scrapbooks for my friends and loved ones. These are my hobbies that have kept me happy and occupied when I was home-bound, but also let me show my love for life and for those who mean so much to me.

I have been asked to help hospice patients and their families in mkakng heritage scrapbooks. I have often been asked to do scrapbooks for strangers for pay (lots of pay) and I have told folks that I can only do scrapbooks for pictures and people to whom I feel a personal connection. I did not want to turn a beloved hobby into a job.

This is different. I don't think this would be a job at all. I am a firm believer in documenting your family history and when someone reaches the point when they need hospice care, we know they will not be around for very long. If it helps them emotionally, helps their family to document their legacy, I think that is a fine way to continue my hobby. Hospice has offered to pay for whatever supplies I need to help these folks get started on their family documentation, but I don't know about that. I have so much of everything we would need, papers, stickers, stamps, ribbons, frames, etc., etc., etc.

Could this be my kuleana? We shall see.

But I am excited about it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 12/07/2008 04:34:53 AM

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  05:40:46 AM  Show Profile
Wanda - what a beautiful thing to do! It certainly sounds like a lovely way to use your talents in the service of those who would benefit greatly from them.
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Right on Wanda,to share your gift with others is aloha,and to share with those in hospice is even more special.I know this is your passion,the satisfaction is sure to come.Right on!
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  1:30:55 PM  Show Profile

Go for it Girl!!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  1:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Congratulations, Wanda. Working with Hospice is very rewarding on many levels. I am sure that many families will appreciate what you do.
I play with a small group here in Kona that performs for an 'old folks home'. It is a tough gig because you know that these wonderful folks could disappear any time...
One woman asked us to play "Tennessee Waltz". We told her that we would learn it for her. The next week, one of the guys came back and noticed that the old gal wasn't there.
They told him that she was very ill and in her room. He went to her room and played for her. She opened her eyes a few times, and then she went back to sleep. She died an hour later.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  3:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Wanda -- it sounds like you get to follow your passion. Bravo!!

How lucky those hospice families will be to have you helping them create what will become true treasures for the generations to follow...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  4:35:24 PM  Show Profile
What a blessing. I think you will find, however, that you will feel that you are the one who is blessed.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  5:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the support, you guys. It is truly appreciated. I am a bit scared of this because what happens when the people I will be working with die? That is the whole purpose of hospice. We shall see if I can handle it. I am meeting with the head of volunteers later this week. Gotta get my hair done first so she doesn't think I'm a gray-haired old lady ready to avail myself of the services of the hospice.

Speakiing of hair, it is getting near Christmas. Time for Unko Paul to get a hair cut. This might be a big battle/struggle. I stopped bothering with the beard years ago. No use. Sometimes you get a headache from beating your head against a brick wall for so long.

He needs a nice maintenance free style like Dukie.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 12/08/2008 5:48:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Thank you for the support, you guys. It is truly appreciated. I am a bit scared of this because what happens when the people I will be working with die? That is the whole purpose of hospice. We shall see if I can handle it. I am meeting with the head of volunteers later this week. Gotta get my hair done first so she doesn't think I'm a gray-haired old lady ready to avail myself of the services of the hospice.

Speakiing of hair, it is getting near Christmas. Time for Unko Paul to get a hair cut. This might be a big battle/struggle. I stopped bothering with the beard years ago. No use. Sometimes you get a headache from beating your head against a brick wall for so long.

He needs a nice maintenance free style like Dukie.

Hey, Wanda - a hospice is a wonderful instituiton, a peaceful and loving place for people to depart from us. My mom went out with a failure of her aortal valve 2 years ago this month. I flew from Seattle to Tucson to get her in the hospital, hoping she would recover. They, of course, strove to keep her alive, filling her with needles and drugs. She was very uncomfortable, but they were doing their best. My sister came from Okinawa ASAP, and the doctor told us that, at 94, she almost certainly would die from the valve replacement surgery. We found a hospice there in Tucson, and moved her from the bright lights and bustle of the hospital to a calm, soft dimly lit space with lots of care where she could pass with dignity and in peace, which she di 10 days later. Bless you, my dear, and go with it.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  1:14:35 PM  Show Profile
I second Slipry 1: go for it. With your hands and heart, you'll do a terrific job.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  6:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Wanda, I totally agree with Slipry1 and Momi.......I have had two experiences with Hospice and they are a terrific and caring organization. The first was with my dad who passed away in May of '06 and then our grandson in June of '07. Both situations were very similar to Slipry1's mom.....when nothing further could be done medically for them in the hospital, Hospice did all that they could to ensure that they could spend their final days as comfortably as possible with their loved ones by their side in their own home. This is a very good thing that you are considering doing. Bless you!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  12:19:48 AM  Show Profile
Wanda,although my mom never made it to a hospice,had she,I'm sure someone like you would have made a difference.Blessed are you who can make a difference to those in a difficult time.Some share their music with others in aloha,ozzie has been known to play music to those in the hospital.That's true aloha,what you will be doing is no different,to share your gift is aloha.Hawaiian at heart,go for it!Love you braddah jay.P.S. I too am a recipient of one of her gifted scrap book's,which is to me a personal treasure.

Edited by - braddah jay on 12/10/2008 12:20:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  06:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, I don't think you can imagine the impact you our going to have on the families that you are going to touch. It has to be a tough job I'm sure but I can tell you how greatful our family was an is for the peacfull and dignified passing of our Dad

wonderful choice

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Wanda,

It is nice that you can take something you enjoy that benefits others. I think your interaction with someone in hospice care is already invaluable but even better that you are creating something lasting for the family. Sounds like a great idea!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000