Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 12 Bar Blues lesson...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  08:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Teach people to play the way you play. Don't simplify on behalf of newbies or old people. Give it to them straight. They can handle it. Just be patient and spend more time on the material. It's a quicker and more direct way to better music.

Well, said.

I have been teaching beginning music to adults for more years than I can count. The Appalachian dulcimer world I used to live in has much in common with the current `ukulele craze -- chief among them the idea that it should be so EZ to learn that you can play music in 5 minutes and that any effort is too much. (OK, I am joking -- but only slightly.)

There is nothing wrong with breaking things down as you have done to make it accessible; but it needs to be musical. My suggestions were aimed at making your TAB work better.

As Hiram says-- look at the A, Bb, D and E chords. They are all exactly the same shapes. You do not need to play them with a barre, but no worries if you do.

If you teach your students the proper shapes, they will learn an extremely valuable lesson. If you teach them a partial chord with and improper drone...unless you really like that minor second on the E chord ... they will have to relearn it the right way later. Which takes much longer.

As far as the TAB for "Crazy G" goes--- seriously, would it take any longer to teach it if the chords were written into the TAB? I don't think so.

I teach a class called "Fun with Your `Ukulele" that starts with 2 chord songs like "Memphis" -- including the bluesy riff & the solo. I first show the song with basic chord shapes... then add the riff, then add some strumming ideas, then add the solo for those that can handle it. Takes all of ten minutes... and I don't use TAB, just lyrics and chord names.

My point is that you are on the right track -- just up the ante a bit. Your students will appreciate it.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  2:52:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I teach a class called "Fun with Your `Ukulele" that starts with 2 chord songs like "Memphis" -- including the bluesy riff & the solo.

...not to mention "A11"

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  08:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
Regarding the effort involved in learning, here is the best way that I have ever heard it put:

"There are those who play instruments, and those who play CD's. The first group works a little harder, but has a LOT more fun".

Actively making music is much more rewarding than just passively listening to it. So encourage the students to take the extra step. It does take more effort to learn the right way and avoid short cuts, but it pays off big time in the longer run.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  09:56:09 AM  Show Profile
My Dad used to tell me, "Play it clean, don't hurt yourself. Take your time, speed comes with practice." It's the same in any human endeavor.
Learn it right from the getgo. Unlearning is harder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000