Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Instruments: pics and stories
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  10:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Since this topic has been lagging in activity recently, I had an idea that I thought might get things rolling again.

How about sharing pics of some of your favorite instruments...whatever they are. Whether they are beautiful pieces of art, worn and tattered, unique, or just special to you. Many instruments have stories that go along with them too. How they were aquired, their history, their construction...by whom and of what material, and why they are special to you. Share a pic and a story. I'm sure there are some real interesting ones out there.

I'll start.

Many of you have read the story about my mom and me. We never really knew each other until a couple of years before she died of cancer. We found out that we were very much alike and enjoyed many of the same things, including Hawaii. On one of our "get to know each other" trips to the Big Island I decided that, since I did not bring an instrument along with me, and we would be here for 3 weeks, I needed a ukulele. So we went to a music store on the north end of Kona. I figured I'd just get an inexpensive little something to bide the time, maybe 50 to 100 bucks. While I was in the music store my wife came in and told me that I needed to see something in the bike shop next door. I didn't get to go back to the music store as my mom said we had to go or we were going to be late for a reservation.

I was bummed to be leaving the store without an instrument, but figured I'd come back another day. While at dinner that evening, my mom pulled this black case out from under the table. When I opened it I was in shock! Here was this beatiful 8 string Koa uke - which I didn't even know exsisted...the 8 strings that is. Mom had my wife distract me so she could buy me a uke. Although I was very impressed with it's beauty, I didn't really, in my ignorance, know what I had. Later when I did a little research I learned that this was a significant purchase. However it's value can never be measured in dollars as it is a lasting memory of my mom. Each time I pick it up and play it, I am reminded of the short time we spent together and how special and enlightening it was.

My mom played a big part in my next instrument story too which I will share later.

For now here's the uke.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  10:11:51 PM  Show Profile
What a beauty! I especially like the headstock design. It looks like it sounds pretty good too.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  01:48:34 AM  Show Profile
Nice Uke!

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  05:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I love the story and the thread idea. Sorry, I am going to cheat since I posted about this before. Maybe people will not remember my 6+ year old post, plus, there are lots of new members since '02.

May 29, 2002 felt like any other Wednesday to me until I got home to find a package at the doorstep. My wife and I had gotten married in the prior month, and this was a wedding gift. To my surprise, inside the package was a Pro-Tec case. Inside the case was a beautiful soprano ʻukulele with a redwood top and bubinga back and sides. The make is Chimes Guitars and ʻUkuleles and has special meaning to me since my friend, Akawa341, made it. It didn't come from Hawaiʻi but was built in a Brooklyn apartment with focus, care and aloha. What an incredible gift, and I am so honored to have receive it. I still cannot believe it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  10:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Wow Andy! What a beautiful wood combination!

A hand made masterpiece made by a good friend is certainly more than just an instrument.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  07:04:55 AM  Show Profile
This is my pride and joy Mauel "McCloud", Italian Spruce/Ziricote, 25.75 scale, and also one of my assistants.

As you can see, my cat loves Slack Key :)

When this guitar became available I was looking for a good guitar. One of the members here (Reid) discovered that it was available and advised me to consider buying it.
I not only get great help with music, but I also found a great affordable handmade guitar because I am a member here.
Thanks Reid and thanks for the site Andy.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 01/02/2009 11:46:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  5:08:10 PM  Show Profile
What beautiful instruments and stories! I have a story about an old Martin that doesn't look anywhere near as pretty as these but I'll post it as soon as I can take some pics. I gave the guitar to my son a few years ago so I have to go over to his place to take the pictures.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  7:07:56 PM  Show Profile
This guitar was made for me by Robert Pimentel of Pimentel & Sons, Albuquerque, NM. The inlay was done by his brother Rick.

It is made of European spruce, Brazilian rosewood, ebony & walnut. The geckos are from genuine turquoise. The rosette is an art deco design - 4 stylized pueblo houses in turquoise, 18k gold, and assorted stones/wood. The bridge carries out the pueblo design. There are two other features that separate this guitar from a standard classical guitar - the cutaway and the fact that it's body is deeper than most classical guitars, thus producing a deep and powerful bass. To my ear it has a most beautiful tone which is getting better with age.

The guitar is special to me because the night before my father died he told my mother that he wanted me to have a really good guitar, and told her to use his "private stash" to pay for it. "El Recuerdo" became that guitar.

Edited by - RJS on 01/02/2009 9:09:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  02:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Photos added for RJS.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  07:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Raymond, that's a bearclaw European top, right? I think I can just see it in the pix as completely over the surface.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  09:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
That is some axe, Raymond.

What's going on with the string ends? I can't tell from the pix-- have you wrapped them in something?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile
Reid, yes.
Mark - those are "string beads." They are little things made of bone. The advantage is supposed to be that the strings come out in more of a straight line. My experience is that they cut the buzz on one string and seem to slightly improve the tone. I got them through Strings By Mail.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  8:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Beutiful guitar Raymond. It looks like a family heirloom was born. Sure would love to hear it someday.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  8:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui.
One day I might get around to one of the social networking sites. Just not enough hours in the day with the 2 year old.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  9:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage

Regarding "string beads." You can get similar results using the ball ends of used steel strings. Just tie the string end to one ball end, run the long end thru another ball end, and string it up. The second ball end firmly contacts the bridge. Sometimes you can get away with just the one ball end tied to the string, but the knot often rides against the bridge instead of the ball end.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000