Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Hello from San Diego
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark Alan
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  5:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Alan's Homepage
I usually don't 'introduce' myself on forums, but everyone here is so friendly, I thought I would join in.....

Born and bred in Kailua, living in San Diego. I got a bit homesick, so picked up a uke to see if I could still play.....oh well, life has disappointments, doesn't it? I do have fun making my noise, and no complaints from the neighbors yet.

I found this site through Aloha Music Camp. I've been saving all year to go in 2 weeks (can't wait).

Being an old guy, I love the old-style Hawaiian music, but don't seem to play that. Mostly working on Green Day, Muse and Violent Femmes songs at the moment. Maybe the camp will help my uke find it's Hawaiian roots!

I've been in San Diego too long to even attempt pidgin ;), but when I'm with my Uncle and Aunty in Kaaawa, you never know what may come out of my mouth!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  5:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mark! You are so right. This is a friendly bunch of folks. Hoo, boy, if I was from Kailua, I'd get homesick, too. It is so beautiful there. The beach is magnificent.

No worry about your `ukelele searching for its roots. They are there already. Just goota give it the water and sun for the things to sprout and grow. Patience, my friend.

Make sure you come talk story with us. No worry about pidgin. All us haole Hawaiian wannabe's fracture it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

cwilson
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  5:43:00 PM  Show Profile
Mark,
Welcome. My wife and I will both be at camp and look forward to meeting you. We have been to camp before and it is a great experience. Just a couple of weeks now.
Clay and Mary
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  6:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the 'patch!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  6:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha and welcome to the Patch Mark! Feel free to ask questions, no shame because we are one big 'ohana (family) here.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  05:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Mark, welcome! What part of San Diego?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  06:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to da 'patch! I grew up in Kane`ohe, but I've been in Seattle for 20 years. My pidgin used to go into hibernation for long stretches until I saw (mostly heard) another local and it would pop out again.

Have fun at camp.
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Aloha Mark. I look forward to meeting you at camp.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Mark Alan
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  12:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Alan's Homepage
Thanks all for the hearty welcomes.

Cpatch - I live in University Heights (just north of downtown for the North County folks).

JeffC, Clay and Mary - looking forward to meeting at camp.

Momi - you must miss Kane`ohe, When the rain hits and those beautiful waterfalls cascade down the Koolau mountains.....just heaven! Castle high? Are we old rivals? I went to Kalaheo.

wcerto - in the 25 years I've been in San Diego, I think I've been to the beach 3 times and in the water once. There's nothing like Kailua beaches to spoil you for the rest of the world!
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  3:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Mark,
We have a pretty active bunch in San Diego. There is the Ukulele Society of America that meets for kanikapila every Thursday in Carlsbad 6PM-9PM and the Southern California Slack Key Society has a weekly Open Mike in Oceanside. I know both are a drive for you but Chunky Monkey is in Tierrasanta and you might carpool with him -- he doesn't bite (grwols maybe).
R/CAPT Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  08:10:57 AM  Show Profile
ruff, ruff
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  2:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Wait a minute, what about `Ilio Nui?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  7:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha from another san diego player! hope to see you around!

Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  8:35:11 PM  Show Profile
E Alan! Kalaheo, eh? 'Memba Mokapu Road? The "A" family on that strip? That's my clan and hangout-place from Kamehameha School on weekends. Plus, the sand from THAT beachhouse pass Punahou's to Lanikai. So, Brah, that's us'es old stompin ground, den. Also, Chula Vista for liddle bit, 98-99...and Silver Beach strip to North Island.

Brah, get moke mokes ova dea; I ride bicycle to the Marina and Henry's Market and bump into fair share of locals. Hang in dea, coz we all tu'geda in spirit!

Herb
Go to Top of Page

Mark Alan
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  6:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Alan's Homepage
Are there too many dogs around here or not enough?

Mike - thanks for the invite. I have often thought of getting to the Carlsbad gathering, but I actually am at work in Carlsbad at 6 in the morning......once quitting time comes around, I make a haste back south! You know how it is with those of use living south of the merge/split!

Chunky Monkey, wcerto and marzullo - thanks for the welcomes.

Herb - yes - Kalaheo...when it was an Intermediate school - 7th through 12th - couldn't wait to get out of there, especially after the crazy paint job in the late 70's. You remember the ducks? I almost ran over a bunch on my last visit going to my mom's house. How about jumping off the bridge near the old Pinkies? I stopped doing that after seeing a shark I swear was in the movie Jaws! I was young ;)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  3:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Mark! I want to go to Aloha Music Camp so badly but unfortunately can't this month, which hopefully won't be the last one they do. I think it stinks because my 'ohana and I will be on Moku O Keawe the week after it. Oh well...

E komo mai!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000