Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Language Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  08:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

I am hoping Keola D. and/or some of the kumu hula who drop in can enlighten me. I never studied `olelo formally, only know a little of what my Tutu Man and kupuna spoke so long ago.

I've recently been noticing a phrase I had not heard before, but is now becoming common. And now it is being used by my own haumana hula.

My haumana take turns calling their group to order with "Makaukau?"

Yesterday, at class, when the line leader called her group to order, she gave out with this deep, gutteral "U MAO KAUKAU!" I was startled and stopped the class to ask where that came from.

The girls and their parents said that is what the Hawaiian Studies teacher in their public school says is the correct phrase and chanting style. This is from ALL the girls and parents, so at least two different public schools teach this.

Prior to this, I have heard "U mao kaukau" used, as well as "Ua mau kau kau," and "Maukaukau" used by many different canoe clubs.

I tried to research the phrase, but cannot find it anywhere. I would greatly appreciate if someone with more formal training in Hawaiian language could clarify "U mao kaukau" for me, as I find the phrase puzzling.

Mahalo!
Leilehua

Edited by - Hula Rider on 03/10/2009 08:56:21 AM

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile
My two cents: ua mākaukau seems to indicate a statement that something has passed into a state of readiness. Where as an ʻEʻ type command to get ready would be " E hoʻomākaukau " If a person is asking if agroup is ready then "mākaukau?" might be the thing to say. I too am not familiar with mau kaukau I could be mistaken but I think it is a mis-pronunciation of mākaukau. It reminds me of some actvists who say kānaka maʻoli. The word maʻoli doesnʻt exist as far as I know. I believe the word is maoli. Iʻm no expert so Keola may have a more accurate answer.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 03/10/2009 09:54:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Mahalo for replying! That sheds a bit of light. Hopefully Keola can open the window even farther!

As I teach them, a typical exchange when my haumana are presenting their lesson for me would be:

Me: E ho`omakaukau na haumana.

Kokua: (after looking around to assess readiness) Makaukau?

Haumana: Ae!

Kokua: Pa!

Haumana & Kokua: "Kunihi ka. . . . . ."

But yesterday, the kokua shouted, "U MAO KAUKAU!" in this deep, bombastic gutteral tone. When I stopped the class and asked about it, she said that is how her kumu in the public school teaches them to say it. The other haumana and the parents confirmed that is what is being taught.

I am assuming that the kumu who teach in the public schools have some kind of accreditation. Thus, I am wondering what I am missing, as I do not understand the phrase.

It would make some sense to me if the kumu had taught them something like:

Kumu: E ho`omakaukau na haumana.

Kokua: (after looking around to assess readiness) Makaukau?

Haumana: Ae!

Kokua: (addressing Kumu) Ua makaukau.

I agree, "maokaukau/maukaukau" sounds like a mispronunciation.

But I am just very puzzled by the use of "U mao kaukau" as a command.

Malama pono & mahalo!
Leilehua
The more I learn, the less I know!

Edited by - Hula Rider on 03/10/2009 11:20:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  3:50:04 PM  Show Profile
The order above to me is correct, E ho‘omākaukau is a command, and the reply of ‘ae states, yes, we are ready.

Regarding the "U Mao Kaukau" part I have no idea. Never heard it. There is a "u-" sound added to the beginning of some verbs (onoho or unonoho for "noho", uhaele for "hele" and a few others) in certain situations, but never heard it with mākaukau. I have heard some "kumu hula" call out "mākaukau" as is if it were a command and not a question, and heard the students reply "‘ae", but have never heard one that I know speaks Hawaiian do so. I hate to be labeled a prescriptivist, but I believe it is wrong.

Edited by - keoladonaghy on 03/10/2009 3:50:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  4:02:42 PM  Show Profile
The sources I have mark the verb for an imperative as: E, Ō, or Mai (for do not+verb). No reference to U anywhere. I hope this helps.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 03/10/2009 4:03:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  4:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Mahalo so much Keola!

When I hear someting that is new to me, I always am curious what I have missed out on, especially if it indicates that what I learned is insufficient or incorrect.

In this case, I shall stick with what my kupuna and my own kumu taught me.

Mahalo for the additional clarity!
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  4:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

The sources I have mark the verb for an imperative as: E, Ō, or Mai (for do not+verb). No reference to U anywhere. I hope this helps.

Mahalo, Noeau. Yes, that does indeed confirm what I could find. I love how the Internet makes suuch great resources (you, Keola, et al.) so accessible!

Me ke aloha,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  5:26:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes, to be clear I'm not saying that the "u" is an imperative, and it's use with some very specific verbs tends to be used with plural pronouns (māua, kāua, mākou, etc.). It's a suffix of sorts and really irrelevant to this discussion other than the sound itself.
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

Yes, to be clear I'm not saying that the "u" is an imperative, and it's use with some very specific verbs tends to be used with plural pronouns (māua, kāua, mākou, etc.). It's a suffix of sorts and really irrelevant to this discussion other than the sound itself.

Mahalo - that confirms what I had thought I remembered. Maybe MY problem is a lack of confidence in my memories of what I was taught! But I do love having such great resources available!
ly

Edited by - Hula Rider on 03/12/2009 10:35:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000