Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 "Not found" errors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  3:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
the other names might be cached (that is, the address is remebered for awhile by the operating system or a local DNS server). perhaps dusty or andy know how windows caches name lookups...

when you can't connect to taropatch, try a traceroute to lamport.net (another name in the .NET domain).

debugfully,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  3:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I do not know the particulars regarding cache name lookups.

FYI, my webhost has been denying any server problems on their end but sometimes I am the last to know. I appreciate the feedback everyone.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  5:31:06 PM  Show Profile
marzullo says:
quote:
perhaps dusty or andy know how windows caches name lookups...

Nope. I don't know. But there are a lot of nice utilities available as freeware and shareware available from the usual download sites:
www.download.com
www.tucows.com
Search for "ping" utilities.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  9:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Confusion reigns.

@ 6:19p, locked out, so I ran tracert twice. I don't know what I'm looking at, except it may show it is my ISP causing the problem.

quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert taropatch.net
Unable to resolve target system name taropatch.net.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert lamport.net

Tracing route to lamport.net [212.67.202.241]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 178 ms 161 ms 161 ms nas30.Seattle1.Level3.net [209.244.43.126]
10 317 ms 311 ms 311 ms redirect.123-reg.co.uk [212.67.202.241]

Trace complete.

@ 6:21p I could connect to Taropatch.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  10:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hmm - your DNS server could translate lamport.net (which is not a name anyone would have cached) so it got resolved by a top level server. well, unless you had tried something with lamport.net earler that day and so it was cached on your machine.

did you try to contact taropatch.net right after the successful traceroute? if so, and it failed, and you had not tried to previously access lamport.net within the last day, then i'm really confused because all the pieces appear to be in place. if the address for lamport.net were indeed cached, then some possible problems could be: a DNS server crashed and you had to fail over to an alternate (unlikely); DHCP is returning a bogus primary DNS server and you're timing out trying to talk to it (if this were the case then i'd expect you to occasionally see problems with other sites, and you're not); you have a cheapo ISP and they sometimes lose connectivity with the top level .NET servers (i've seen similar strange behavior).

in any case, the problem sure sounds like it is on your side; andy isn't in the loop at all. if it were me, i'd call my ISP's tech support with the information you collected and have a nice cup of tea by my side.

ps dusty, i just checked - taropatch.net is given a TTL of one day. you can spring that on your students. maybe we should start an NPR show, Zero and One, AKA the Packet Braddahs, and give bad advice on networks and PCs.

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  11:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Keith. I'm fairly certain this was my first try at lamport.net. You know how it is when you start pounding the keys, trying this and that, but I'm 98.52% sure it was my first try.

Tech support... Well, first I'll try an alternate phone number. I think each used to connect to a different server, an impression from my last visit to support-land, so I'll just move the current one to the bottom of the stack and see if that helps. Based on area codes, there is some physical separation.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  2:24:30 PM  Show Profile
marzullo says:

quote:
maybe we should start an NPR show, Zero and One, AKA the Packet Braddahs, and give bad advice on networks and PCs.

...and play our black guitars...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000