Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Its all in the family....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  03:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Ai no reckolleck. But dat no ring da bell.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  09:34:38 AM  Show Profile
I forgot about the Royal family. They get choke talent.

Kala mai - goofy headed auntie wen post in da wrong place.

But I am wondering if the girl my age I'm thinking of was maybe Victoria or something like that??????

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  11:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Looks like I'm a little behind on my Taropatch browsing . . . Anyhow, I thought this 2002 John Berger article, "Musical DNA: Hawaiian families contribute to the islands' spirit of aloha with their noteworthy talents" was very interesting and germane to this topic: http://www.animalnetwork.com/hawaiimag/detail.aspx?aid=19529&cid=435&category= .

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  1:31:16 PM  Show Profile
I have always thought that Hawai'i is "The land of genetically engineered harmonies", because music and musical ability seems so natural there. I'm sure environment has a lot to due with it. So, is it "nature or nurture"? Gotta be both. I think this would be a good topic for a grad students thesis. Interviewing members of the great musical families of Hawai'i sure would be fun work!!

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 06/08/2009 1:34:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  5:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Relative isolation has something to do with it. The Texas panhandle has had a disproportionate number of musicians. Lack of economic opportunities can "push" folks into the music biz as well as foster regional styles. Hawai'i has been a tourist destination for over a century, and part of the package was entertainment. Another thing to consider: the islands were a bit behind getting TV, so another generation was exposed to "live" music as family and friendly entertainment.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  9:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Us Kānaka jus luv da music. Wen I wuz young 6 out of 10 played sumpting. Or sang or danced.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  10:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Some books I have read said that one reason Kanaka Maoli were as receptive to the missionaries as they were is because of the hymeni. Some went to the churches just because they liked the music and then the missionaries got their hooks into them.

Can you believe in this day and age, I have a hanai neice who just wen grad college and is off to Australia as a missionary. Not to do something nice like build houses or tend to the sick. Oh no, but as a teacher to brainwash the poor heathens down under in that wild and uncivilized country. Sheesh. I thought the missionary mentality would be pau in this day and age.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/11/2009 10:57:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  08:24:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Some books I have read said that one reason Kanaka Maoli were as receptive to the missionaries as they were is because of the hymeni. Some went to the churches just because they liked the music and then the missionaries got their hooks into them.

Can you believe in this day and age, I have a hanai neice who just wen grad college and is off to Australia as a missionary. Not to do something nice like build houses or tend to the sick. Oh no, but as a teacher to brainwash the poor heathens down under in that wild and uncivilized country. Sheesh. I thought the missionary mentality would be pau in this day and age.

When you compare the personalities of the hard core calvinists and that of a relatively naive population, coupled with the fact that Ka`ahumanu demolished or had demolished nearly every reference, artifact, hei`au or anything else to do with the native dieties, Hawaiians were ripe for influence by the missionaries.

When diseases started taking their toll resulting illness and death of the kanaka maoli, of course some of the missionaries jumped on that as being a sign that their god was not happy. It is understandable why missionaries could influence as many people as they did.

The introduction of music in the form of hymns was not too different from that of the content of oli, but for the range of the tones and musical notation. It was different, and more (as native people became literate) could participate, since the memorization previously required for oli was no longer necessary in presenting the message of the hymn.

Get 'em in to the building, present them with something new, different and awe inspiring, remind them that bad things happen when the new god is unhappy, they'll come around eventually.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000