Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Canberra.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Socrates
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  12:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Socrates's Homepage
Hi all forumites.

I've finally got my go ahead to join the forum from the moderators so I'm coming in with a big hello.

Yes, slack key does exist in Australia but it is very rare. I have been working hard over the last few years to spread the word.

I mostly play a takamine EAN10C (similar to Makana) and a Martin 000C. My favourite tunings are Open G (of course!!) CGDGBE, Open C and EAC#EAE to name a few. I mostly compose my own material.

Anyway, I'm hoping to hook in a have a good read of some of the threads. I guess I have some work to do.

Best wishes,
Socrates.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  1:35:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Anyway, I'm hoping to hook in a have a good read of some of the threads. I guess I have some work to do.
You bet!, as long as you do not get too philosophical about it.

G'day and Welcome to the patch!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/05/2009 1:37:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  1:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha and welcome from Cleveland, Ohio on the north coast of the USA. My oh my, I thought Paul and I are very alone as regards slack key and all Hawaiian music, but I'll bet you have it even worse. It is tough to learn, at least for me, without a live teacher. I guess I learn better by seeing and hearing. Paul on the other hand, he can sit down with Ozzie's book and figure out how to play the stuff. Me, I have Keoki Kahumoku's video on how to play `ukulele and I still don't get it too well. Then again, I do not devote nearly the amount of time to that as Paul does to his instruments.

I believe you will find a fun and friendly bunch of folks, many with profound knowledge on just about any topic you can think of. They are not shy about sharing their expertise with you.

I'd be interested in hearing how you heard of Taro Patch all the way from "down under".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  1:38:55 PM  Show Profile
ps: that is a swell picture on your Taro Patch profile.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Socrates
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  7:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Socrates's Homepage
Thanks a lot folks!!

Wanda - you are right. Its a tough one to get your hands on but with the internet, not impossible. Bob Brozman was able to help me a lot in a brief time when he took a guitar class here in Canberra some years ago. I mostly play my own pieces so there's no hard and fast rules. I listen to a lot of the slack-key players and get inspiration.

I found this website basically by searching for slack key guitar. I may have even done a search on Taropatch.

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  07:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Howdy -

I listened to some audio clips from the latest CD-- nice touch!

Love that Delphi, too.

Good luck with the musical journey-- it's a great ride.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Socrates
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  1:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Socrates's Homepage
I'm not too good on the language yet sorry but I think it is right to say:

Mahalo Mark!!

On my website are some full Mp3s.
One is here:
http://www.craigandsimone.com/html/tunes.html

It is called Elegy for Grant McLennan in Taropatch with (two) flutes.

There is a hidden one that anyone is welcome to as well called "The Soft Rain Waltz." It starts off with one guitar, then flute and then bouzouki. (Tuning DGDGBE)

http://www.craigandsimone.com/images/soft.mp3

There is a very rough video (if you can call it that) on youtube. Just do a search on "Dancing Rosie."

As far as the Delphi goes, I'm not really playing it anymore which is a shame. Yo never know, might come back to it one day.

Best wishes,
Soc

PS. Just checking through your home page Mark and having a listen. Great stuff!! very very impressive!! Great sounds and a huge list of achievements to be proud of!!

Edited by - Socrates on 05/06/2009 1:57:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  11:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha and e komo mai (welcome)!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2009 :  6:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
Nice to see an ACT person here. One of these days I'll get to Tamworth to see the Golden Guitars - maybe next year. Can't wait for the new LK CD in November.

So how much Hawaiian music is in Oz?

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

Socrates
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  6:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Socrates's Homepage
Hi Lovin LK?

A Kernaghan fan??? Woah!!

I didn't realise he was that well known overseas. There is heaps of music going on in Australia. I mainly hang out in the world/folk scene. I used to be in Country music but..... Its a bit like one big competition.
Slack key in Australia?? To be honest, I don't think it is particularly well known. I'm about the only one I know spreading the good word by mouth and performances. I got a friend onto Ledward Kaapana the other day.
That said, I do know several people who have Hawaiian music in their collection.
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  7:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
Yep, an LK die-hard, totally loyal fan and Outback Club member. He's amazing. He's not well-known up here, unfortunately. I got "Electric Rodeo" in Sydney and fell in love with his amazing voice.

I know about the Aussie country scene. Have a lot of CDs - everything by Lee, some by Sunny Cowgirls, Adam Harvey, Troy Cassar-Daley, Tom Curtain, Slim, Peter Denahy, Sara Storer, Beccy Cole, Karen Lynne, etc.

Slack key is awesome stuff and so is Led. Have known him for years. Same with Dennis Kamakahi. I've sent him some of Lee's songs ... and he also wears an Akubra!!! They write about some of the same things.

I have a huge Hawaiian music collection. You need to get yourself some music by Raymond Kane, Ozzie Kotani, Cyril Pahinui and a few others that others will give you. Right now, I'm totally enchanted with LK.

Edited by - LovinLK on 05/18/2009 7:52:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Socrates
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  12:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Socrates's Homepage
LovinLK - How cool!!

Hey - not meaning to be being a smart a$$ or a pain in the neck, please don't get me wrong, but I do have albums by all the people you mention. And you mention some FANTASTIC artists there.

As far as the Australian country music goes that you quoted, I know Karen Lynne personally. She is very nice and a fantastic performer. You might be interested in Pat Drummond as well. He is a friend and also performs with Karen on a regular basis. Check out the website and see what you reckon:
http://www.patdrummond.net/

One of Australia's best ever songwriters is Pat!!!
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
I do have some music by Karen Lynne and Pat Drummond. I like their music and they sound good together. It's harder to find their music here but I did get one of their songs on a Saturday Night Country compilation. I buy most of my CDs on ebay. Lately, all of them. I also like some of the funny bluegrass by the Sensitive New Age Cowpersons. Another good guitarist is Brendon Radford. He seems to be playing with everyone, same with James Gillard on bass.

I like the more traditional country and the same with traditional Hawaiian - the music sung in Hawaiian and not English. And I find a lot of similarities.

One of my favorite albums is "Makalapua 'Oe" by Frank Hewett. Some really good guitar work on that one by Haunani Apoliona. I think it's now available in CD. "Enduring Pride" by Olomana is also great and "Expecting Friends" by Jerry Santos has some good music. I like his "Waimanalo Country Song" I know that one is on YouTube.

If you see the term "kua 'aina", that means country and it has the same feel as country music. Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawai'i are a good example - they have a very distinctive sound. The early Ka'au Crater Boys too.

There are a lot of cowboy songs in Hawaiian from the cattle days ... "Kupa Landing", "Hoe Hoe Na Wa'a", "Hawaiian Cowboy", "Moloka'i Cowboys", :"Kilakila Na Roughrider" and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out.

Gabby Pahinui's "Hi'ilawe" and "Pu'uanahulu" have a country feel to them.

I find that if you like country then you tend to like the more traditional/acoustic Hawaiian. I sure do.

But with that said ... Lee has totally stolen my heart away. I love his music, he's a brilliant songwriter, and so adorable - love his big smile. And, of course, he was last year's Australian of the Year. I contribute a lot of articles on his forum: http://forum.leekernaghan.com.au/default.asp

Go to Top of Page

Socrates
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  1:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Socrates's Homepage
Thanks LovinLK - I'll check that stuff out. Much apreciated.
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  9:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
This is the video for "Kilakila Na Roughrider". This one is Ipo Kumukai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOm-X8ldhNc

And Jerry Santos doing the same song and "Hawaiian Cowboy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5MLR5jOzE&feature=related

And "Waimanalo Country Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xgT5mU6n-0&feature=related

When I find more I'll add them here.

Edited by - LovinLK on 05/23/2009 10:05:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Socrates
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  6:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Socrates's Homepage
Sorry - I've been a bit busy to go on the forum lately.
Will check those links out.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000