Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Po Mahina Guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  1:56:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm following another thread about someone else who is in the market for a new guitar, and someone mentioned Po Mahina guitars. Does anyone have any comments on Po Mahina?

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  4:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I have a Po Mahina 'ukulele and several steel guitars that Dennis Lake has helped me with.
Keola beamer has a really nice one, and many other TaroPatch members as well.
Dennis has been building great instruments since the 70's, and know a lot about instruments. He is a nice guy to talk to, too. Do you want his phone number? Email me.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 05/07/2009 5:10:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  5:07:57 PM  Show Profile
At this moment we have 5 Po Mahina Ukuleles and 1 custom built travel-size guitar with gorgeous inlays. We LOVE all our Po Mahinas! Dennis is just a fine, fine luthier with many years of experience. You won't be disappointed with one of his beauties. You should call him and ask him all your questions.

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  7:18:19 PM  Show Profile

Count me in- the first instrument Dennis built for me was a baritone 'ukulele (see photo on his website) the second was the best guitar I'll ever have, and the third was a tenor 'uke. The bari and guitar are all koa, and the tenor is maple. Cant' say enough about Dennis' luthiership, and knowledge of the instruments and the industry. You can't go wrong.....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  07:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I'll chime in, too---but first I have to make a disclaimer, Dennis is a dear friend. On the other hand, he sure as heck makes great instruments.

I enthusiastically endorse both Dennis' guitars and his `ukulele. I don't take that lightly; despite being asked many times in the past thirty plus years I've agreed to lend my name to exactly three luthiers: Blue Lion dulcimers, Mya Moe Resonator Ukes, and Po Mahina Guitars and Ukulele.

One of the cool things about putting on the Aloha Camp is I get to play just about every model guitar Dennis makes, since he always brings two or three to camp to fill orders and save shipping.

For me the hardest part would be choosing which model to buy--I've lusted after his steel stringers for years... and then there's that amazing two hole nylon string!!!

My personal favorites are the three 40th anniversary models: The Californios, The Territorial & the Deluxe.

I had the great pleasure of demo'ing the Territorial for about six months, long enough to really learn the ins and outs of a guitar. It is quite simply stunning. I have played Kamakas from the 20's; the Territoritorial has the exact same feel and vibe. It's like a time machine straight back to the heart of classic slack key.

I've also played the Californio guitar--truly an inspiring experience. This one's not for everybody--gut strings, tiny body and friction tuners take some getting used to. But, if you are looking for something extraordinary...

I told Dennis that I'll buy all three the second my ship comes in; it hasn't (I think it sank).

But after speaking with Dennis yesterday the Deluxe will be at my house in three days. It is a great all around guitar for finger picking, flat picking or strumming. Play it sweet for slack key, or dig in for ragtime and country blues. A dandy little session with Trev last Feb convinced me this was the one for me.

Now I just wish somebody would tell me what Ditty Wah Ditty means...

Go to Top of Page

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for those responses. Would it be a fair thing to say that a Po Mahina guitar -- or one built by another guitar maker who specializes in instruments for slack key -- is preferable to another "standard" classical guitar?

I'm trying to figure out if an instrument that is pretty much built for classical music would not be as conducive to slack key music as a Po Mahina or comparable model.

Also: do any of you know of guitar makers in the Southern California area who build comparable instruments?

I really appreciate this help. It would be a leap of faith for me to buy a guitar sight (and sound!) unseen, but I'm not eliminating that option.

Thanks also for the inspiration that I receive from the folks on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  1:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

I don't know where in So Cal you live, but there are quite a few Po Mahina guitars running around down there. Check in with the folks in San Diego; I know Keith Marzullo has one; you can contact him via Taropatch under his norm de plume: Marzullo. Maybe you could arrange a kanikapila & guitar tasting.

RE: Standard classical vs one made expressly for slack key. That's actually a very interesting question, and I hope some folks with more experience with classical guitars then I do will chime in.

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  5:25:32 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what "Diddy Wah Diddy " means, but if you talk about it in church, they'll put you out. And watch where you put your hat, Mark.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  07:38:53 AM  Show Profile
I've lusted after Keith's koa Po Mahina for a few years. I'm hoping he gets overwhelmed with guitars and will sell me that one at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile
APT,
Come by Kaisen's in Oceanside next Tuesday (not tomorrow, we are all going to hear Darlene Ahuna) for our weekly Slack Key Open Mike. Most of do pretty well on Taylor (made in El Cajon). It's not the instrument as much as the player. Email me for directions and time.
Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  7:11:59 PM  Show Profile
I have a comment to make about "not the instrument as much as the player".

Years ago a dear artist friend of mine quizzed me about my using cheap watercolor paper for my paintings. My response was that if I made a mistake, I had not wasted a good piece of paper. But his comeback was that if I had a fantastically successful painting, it would be on cheap paper, and wouldn't last long.

That got me thinking about quality. To me, the quality of an instrument speaks to me. For instance, I really enjoy playing my Po Mahinas. And once in a while I pick up one of my other ukes, but it sounds tinny, or harsh, or not as full, and then the playing is not so rewarding anymore. I'm likely to put it down before long. It's all about your personal preferences, but it's nice when you have good things to plunk on...

Test driving all my ukes to see which one gets to go to Maui next month,

Julie
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  05:22:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Now I just wish somebody would tell me what Ditty Wah Ditty means...

Wel,, as Mr. Natural said to his passenger "If you don't know by now, lady, don't mess with it!" See ya soon!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  2:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Ah Julie . . .
But if I painted a watercolor on your expensive paper, it would be expensive trash. If I was going to purchase a fine watercolor by you, I would expect it to be on good paper that will last. The difference is still in the artist. A excellent guitar player can make almost any guitar sing.

You are right though, I do love the feel and sound of Dennis Lake's guitars and ukuleles. I, like Chunky Monkey, have lusted after Keith's guitars for quite some time -- one of these days . . . .

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  2:06:45 PM  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTAD6oHIlrM
Here's the original "Diddy Wah Diddy", by Blind Arthur Blake. Ragtime Guitar didn't get much better than Blind Blake. The question still remains, after all these years. What IS Diddy Wah Diddy?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  08:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Here's the original "Diddy Wah Diddy", by Blind Arthur Blake

Not to be confused with the other Blind Blake: Blind Blake Alphonso Higgs, late of the Bahamas, who sang the immortal "Gin and Coconut Water..."

And, should you wish to delve further into the meaning of Ditty Wah Ditty, Blind Blake (the first one--Arthur Blake) recorded a follow-up song called "Diity Wah Ditty no. 2"

"A gangster shot his pal today,
As they carried him away,
He said Ditty Wah Ditty....
I just found out what Ditty Wah Ditty means..."

As for me, I'm off to town... the Deluxe arrived at the post office today.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  08:27:30 AM  Show Profile
There are many things in life that bring me great pleasure, and my Halia Aloha O Kaupoa is one of them. I am very grateful to own one of Dennis’ guitars, and knowing him is an honor.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000