Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Waimanalo Blues, Q&observations...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  6:21:55 PM  Show Profile
Just starting in on the Country Comfort version of Waimanalo Blues, the Liko Martin tune...
and I'm blessed with a nice tab by Ozzie from camp of '07.

He uses a C tuning, capoed... to reach G, capo at 7 (*although one of my camp notes said 5)...to arrive at the recorded version in the key of G.
This version at first reading appears to be a NEARLY EXACT transcription! (although it doesn't go into backup guitar accompaniment for backing the vocals...it did have the words, and today I noticed that words on the second halves of verses 2 & 3 are juxtaposed on the word sheet when compared to the recording...no biggee...I tend to
assume the recording is acceptable to use as a basis for adaption and change where needed.
anybody else fooled with this tune, and/or these tabs?

For Ozzie, "C tuning"usually means Taropatch with lowest string dropped to C.
and that works for the way this one is tabbed.

Another little discrepancy from camp hand notations...
is a hand written mention of someone's (Liko's original?) interpretation in another C tuning... C,G,E,G,B,E --again I assume to be capoed at 7, if attempting to get the G sound and higher voicings.

I will need to add some simple, but effective finger patterns and accompaniment. to frame the vocal sections...
BUT...
Why does this simple song give me such melancholy...I mean many songs have some sad imagery and mentions of losses, indeed both land and people...but that shouldn't hit me with such sadness...
Is it me or the song?!
Also, the vocal harmonies really set off the simple, but elegant melody, and add richness to the words.
So besides these observations, I'm here inviting any suggestions or comments...but the ache it creates is palpable!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 06/09/2009 6:24:17 PM

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  7:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Howzit Gordon,

If you really want to hear a powerful rendition of Waimanalo Blues, you should listen to Bla Pahinui's arrangement. Very soulful and heartwrenching. To play his version, don't need tabs--just turn your guitar upside down, play it left handed, and jus press!

FYI, Ozzie's version is Drop C. Hey, when are you coming back to the Bay Area?

Aloha,

Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 06/09/2009 7:52:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  03:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Doug - funny ting you should talk about Bla's version. I just came in froom being in the car listening to Bla's version of Waimanalo Blues. His is kinda like Del Shannon or one of those old time rockabily kinda guys, but slow and very soulful. Bla's sound is so unique because of his left-handed playing, primarily because he does not play a left handed guitar. Hiss bass is on the bottom and it provides such a unique sound. Just a couple of notes and you know it is Bla. Matter of fact my daughter was in the car with me and when his music came on the CD player she said WHO is that and I told her Bla. She said he did not sound like the typical Hawaiian music we listen to, that he reminded her of a cross between Willy Nelson and something else undefinable.
Bla is working on a new CD, slowly but surely as funds permit. This will be his "legacy" album and there are some very interesting takes on old songs...changes in tempo, doing one as a country style waltz, doing one as a sSpanish-influenced salsa kinda thing. Bla never was afraid of trying different things and innovating. But when you listen to some of his singing, you hear actually, that he is the son who sounds closest in voice to his father.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  2:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Here is a fresh, brand new video of Bla playing Waimanalo Blues as only he can. Thanks to Lanet Abrigo for recording and posting the video. And thanks to Bla for his heartfelt and soulful version of the mele. Chicken skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1OtfjBKc9I

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  4:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
I showed Cyril my version with his C huning but dropped 2nd string to a wahine tuning a capo on 4th fret sung in E for Waimanalo blues my version. I'll try to fit that in islandVortex.com tomorrow!

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000