Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 KI HO'ALU..... All about "SHARING"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  5:10:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm a little surprised. Isn't Bishop Museum, UH, the Library of Congress, or somebody, already working to archive musical histories? It seems they would be, but I've never heard of such a thing.

Regardless, it doesn't take a grant, or becoming an Alan Lomax. A Sharp Minidisc recorder and an okay Microphone are going to cost as little as $200 new. They'll record around CD-quality, will fit in your pocket, and take 15 seconds to set up. Even if posterity could care less, I think it's fun stuff and very easy to record the local musicians you hear. I do that, and I've listened to and enjoyed it very much.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  8:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Oaklandslacker,
You are right Bishop Museum, PBS, have recorded some of the island musicians, and have them on file, But know one tried to record or video people that are "UNKNOWN" to the communitiy and the islands.

I think we need to go back and find the old kupunas who has the keys and knowledge to this art form called ki ho'alu.

And hoping they will open up and share something that we hav'nt seen or heard.

We all know about the masters of slack key but what do we know about some of the kupunas that might still have some knowledge that is still out there for us the learn.

I personally want to say "Mahalo Nui Loa" to all of you that gave such great advice, and also offered to help. Maybe theres one in your part of the country too, One can never tell.

Aloha, Malama Pono
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  01:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

Just back from four days out of town and offline. I'm so glad Kevin shared his story here. He had mentioned some of his experience in an email. (Kevin - I still owe you an email. Sorry I'm so slow!)

What a cool project you've proposed Kevin. What a fascinating and important adventure it would be to find unknown slack key players and record their playing and stories for future generations!

Mahalo to the taropatch `ohana for posting such great stuff. So many great posts while I was away.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  06:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Eh How'zit "Bruddah" Kevin! Aloha ahiahi Auntie Maria! Wassssssssup everybody else! I was just about to go moi moi, wen I came accross this Topic: "Kiho'alu.....all about sharing. What better way to help Perpetuate and Preserve Kiho'alu in da "Real Old Style"...
When you mentioned "Pili"....I thought about Uncle Sol too (Bailey House Museum) Uncle Sol. They would both be excellent Candidates for a place in Bishop Museum's Hawaiian Archives.....

"Auntie Maria! How's Kaua'i? The 1st and last time I went there, was when Hurricane Iniki hit the Island. I was in the Hawaii National Guards then. We were based up in Hanapepe, to help in the Recovery and assistance there during the day after...In the beginning it was hard to see how residence did there best to try and salvage what was salvagable.

I broke down in tears wen I saw Mom's, Dad's and Keikis rummaging through the rubble of what was once a home....But towards the end, I found it to be a very rewarding experience knowing I helped Ohanas there, and in return a Magnitude of Thanks from the People of Kaua'i. Some day I'll go back and visit there....especially Ron Mahilona (spelling) He owned the Pigery (piggery?)I think was before Eleele (spelling).

He was known for his signature way of "Kalua Pig" in da Imu. We got a lesson from him on how he does his "Kalua Pig" I remember us going with him to where he got his banana stumps. It was an area crossing Hanapepe River. Anyway I just wanted to share this with you.

It would be wonderful for "Brudda" Kevin and "Pili" to to there to Kaua'i to do a Historic Prelude back in time of "Old Hawaii" and Kiho'alu da Real 'Ol Style. A Hui Hou!

slackkey (Bill)
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  2:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Uncle Sol has a CD out for anyone interested. I think I bought my copy through the Bishop museum but I don't remember.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000