Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A REALLY good "travel" guitar.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  8:17:53 PM  Show Profile
I got my hands on an incredible "travel" guitar yesterday - and it blew me away. It's one of those guitars that fold up into a 30" long travel case -- HOWEVER -- this one actually feels like a real guitar -- and sounds good, too. It's designed by a guitar freak/engineer - with proprietary electornics and the guitar parts are build by experienced luthiers. These are not available in stores, but the guy who makes them has a website which includes audio clips -- www.miranda-tech.com.
I tried the Yamaha silent guitar and it was pretty mediocre. This one is, in my opinion, good. You play it through headphones or an amp -- so for travel it means either plopping one of those baby amps in the luggage or borrowing/renting an amp -- or you use the headphones. Sounds good on a good amp. Haven't yet tried it on a cheapo. It is a nylon string guitar with a full sized (650mm) classical fretboard. This one is on my "gotta save up fast and get one list." By the way -- if you get one 'cause of this posting, let me know so I can try to bargain my price down. (Not the reason I'm posting this, but, who knows?)
Raymond
San Jose

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  9:36:11 PM  Show Profile
That's exciting news. It costs more than the Yamaha model; it should be better for a few hundred more. How about the Soloette; the one Sharon Isbin poses with? Have you had a chance to try that model? I'm wondering how they compare.

For pure portability, the RISA G-Stick is probably still the leader, but it lacks the appointments the Miranda has. http://www.risa-music.de/English/Products/Sticks/sticks.html

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 05/11/2003 9:41:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  4:44:45 PM  Show Profile
My feeling about the solo-ette, from some time ago was "What did they have to pay Isbin to pose with it?" In all honesty, though, I have a friend who commutes a lot and practices in hotel rooms, and likes the soloette. He does not use it to play for others. For me, the Miranda feels good to play (once you get use to the "hollow top,") and it's sound is more than good enough with a decent amp/PA to play in public. I wish it were $250 less, 'cause then I get one right now, but it ain't.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  6:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The Yamaha may be mediocre (I've actually heard a lot of good word-of-mouth as long as you don't use the built-in reverb), but you can pick one up for around $400 on eBay, $475 new. That's $600 cheaper than the Miranda. I guess it depends on whether you're looking for a travel performance guitar or a travel practice guitar.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000