Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Official Invitation - Mill Valley Kanikapila
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  11:12:58 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou. . .

To all TaroPatch musicians, ki ho'alu or 'ukulele who live in Northern California, or are passing through, or can get there, or whatevah......

You are invited to a Sunday afternoon back porch kanikapila at Cathe's house on Sunday, July 20, 2003. Please bring food and/or drink, your friends and your bestest music. We should be starting at about 1:00pm and going until whenevah we run outta music.

Please email me for location and directions at: catheglass @ aol.com, or plot a route with Mapquest.

It was suggested that we each bring plenty of copies of our five favorite songs, (this includes the slackers key players, too)so everyone can play along. Ross wonders if this might be a copyright infringement? Any comments? Perhaps a solution would be to bring only traditional music which is outside copyright limits?

Please know that the weather in Mill Valley can be quixotic at this time of year; hot, cold and foggy, somewhere in between, so be prepared! And bring your music stands, too, please if you have one.

E komo mai!!!!! Cathe

cathe

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  1:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Cathe,

It sounds idyllic, if only we were a few hundred miles closer. Have a wonderful time. Oh, you will!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  1:33:21 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Cathe!
Mahalo nui loa for the invitation! I'll be there! I was also hesitating to copy any music due to possible copyright infringements. I'll just bring my books and stuff that I learned from. How about that?
Aloha,
Stacey
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all !

Cathe, sure wish I could be there :(

About the copyright issues. There arent any. Anyone can play anyone elses music, even printed, in public.

You can even record yourself and others playing.

What you shouldnt do is record for distribution or sale any others copyrighted music.

About the actual copies of say sheet music.

A grey area might be copying pages from printed/published work.

What you can do is print up sheet/tab music that has been produced as your own version. IE ...if you know how a song goes, and decide to print out how you think it goes....no matter how accurate...that is your own work.

Again, not for sale or distribution in any way, that would infringe on the artists' copyright.

This is how sites such as 'tabcrawler' and 'olga' survive.

The music available are peoples versions, again, no matter how accurate.

Bottom line is if you have a bunch of folks sitting around on a sunny afternoon playing guitar....you can play whatever you like.

If Raymond makes it....you should make him play slackkey polka!

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Cathe, you may want to pull your personal info from your post and make it available to people via email instead. These pages show up in Internet search engines and to non-members as well.

As far as copyright infringement is concerned, you're really only going to run into trouble if the copies that are made end up going home with people who don't own the original. If they're just used for the kanikapila you should be fine.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/10/2003 2:30:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  02:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Craig for the heads up, now can you tell me how to do that? certainly doesn't work withthe Delete button. <G> Andy? Anybody?

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  09:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
It would probably be okay, but it's true that forum posts may be picked up by search engines. I removed your address and ph# to be safe.

If you would like to edit your own post, check the FAQ - Can I edit my own posts?. Look for this icon () when editing your posts.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  01:26:49 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou!

We're just wondering who might be coming to the kanikapila on Sunday, so we can be sure to have enough chairs, etc. If it's not too much trouble, can you let me know if you're going to make it? Mahalo....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  10:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Cathe!
Count me in! I'll come early and help you set up. I'll bring all my patio chairs and I'll whip up a yummy dish. Mahalo for hosting! See you then!
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  03:42:54 AM  Show Profile
Hiya Cathe,

1. When I bring copies of songs, I make up my own using the LARGE FONT so I can read it without my glasses, as my vision is deteriorating. I have no other use in mind, and frankly, never gave the copyright issue a thought. I would hope that the originator of the song would WANT people to play it...

2. Larry and I would love to come but I've just spent an emotionally draining week in Mendocino County. I may not be up to driving all the way back up to Mill Valley, but my heart will be with you if we can't make it. We will decide probably on Saturday. Will that be too late for you to know?

Aloha and hugs, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 07/17/2003 11:28:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  02:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Julie:

Good point about the music, I don't think we are in violation of anybody, but worth checking it out.
Hope you can be with us on Sunday, won't be the same without you and Larry! Cynthia and Lawrence will be there, as will Ross, Stacy and Diana, and my sistah too.... The drive is pretty easy, over all. Me ke aloha,

cathe
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  01:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou:

Mahalo to all those who came to the kanikapila today and made such wonderful music. All sorts of fine instruments and music to be heard (mostly in Taropatch and Moanaloa C), including Allen's 12 string Martin, Ross' Larrivee and Mike's brand new Kamaka Tenor 'uke... Mike brought a large pop-up canopy, so we were comfortable in the shade, even if the wind did try and snatch it away from us.
Great time, can hardly wait for the next one in NoCal.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  03:22:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Cathe, for hosting the third NorCal ohana kanikapila and for making superb pad thai! Of course, we're not supposed to do dining reviews on music threads, but this is the first potluck I've been to where I could eat anything because everything was vegetarian and delicious! For those of you who couldn't make it, you missed some outrageous homemade oatmeal/raisin cookies and Diana's dynamite coleslaw. The garden filled with fragrant roses was beautiful. It was inspiring to hear you play more slack key, Cathe. Keep up the good work! Until next time,

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  11:13:38 AM  Show Profile
Aloha!
I'm glad the Kanikapila was a success! Sounds like y'all had a super fun time! Thanks for posting your experiences. Sorry I was sick & missed it. If I didn't feel so rotten, I would feel worse about not going but I know it was the right dicision to stay home & not share my germs. I'll catch the next one! ~ the next kanikajammapila, that is, not the next flu-bug.

Edited by - Stacey on 07/21/2003 11:15:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  9:37:23 PM  Show Profile
A special Mahalo to Cathe for hosting the terrific kanikapila on Sunday. I know Jerry wishes he could have been there too, but he didn't return until today from his trip. Really missed Julie & Larry and Ed and Helen, and Stacey. Hope we can have another soon for all those who couldn't make it this time. It was so nice to meet Clay and Allen and enjoy their addition to the lovely music. And got to meet Ross' lovely lady, Sybil. As always Cynthia and Lawrence are so much fun! And Mike showed us uke players some licks. He's a good teacher; I'm just a slow learner. Really looking forward to the next kanikapila. Is anyone interested in coming way up to Vacaville? It is 105 degrees today at the Nut Tree, just around the corner from us! So, maybe a Fall kanikapila would be good.

Diana
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  5:58:59 PM  Show Profile
HEY CATHY,
THANKS FOR HOSTIING THE MV KANIKAPILA! WHAT A PERFECT SUNDAY AFTERNOON. WENT TO DENIS KAMAKAHI CONCERT SAME EVENING...WOW.
PS. REALLY NICE MEETING AND PLAYING WITH ALL YOU GUYS THAT CAME
TO CATHY'S. SEE YOU SOON.
ALLAN

b3d
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000