Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Vox DA5...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  9:39:52 PM  Show Profile
At the Earth Day concert in Oceanside, California on Sunday April 26, 2009, I used two Vox DA5's running on battery from 10 A.M. until 2:00 P.M. when we played our concert. Both amps ran loud and clean for four hours of pretty consitent use. I'm sure there's plenty of battery power left. Page 5 of the owners manual claims 18 hours play time at full power. The longest I've ever run on a set of C-cell alkaline batteries is 6 hours, with an MP3 player plugged in at an outdoor party playing fairly loud. I used to use rechargeables, but they had shorter play time outdoors after some time to test them. We sang and danced at our booth for four hours before we went on stage. Passers by were amazed that we were not hooked into AC power when asking where the sound was coming from (Very well hidden in our "Tiki Hut") and were even more surprized at the small stature of the DA5's. If you look to the top right of me in the photo where I'm sitting down, you'll see one hanging from the frame. I hung each one of the two from the frame using two bungie cords attached to the amp strap handles. If you look closely at the front right and left of the "Tiki Hut", you'll see the microphone stands. Also, there was a microphone and an instrument cable attached to each DA5. Very versatile and time proven for busking/performing. Ric

Owners manual:

http://www.voxamps.com/downloads/PDF/DA5_OM_E1.pdf

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  11:34:35 AM  Show Profile
I have one I bought for playing electric guitar--but almost never play it. However, I take the DA5 to places where I am not expecting electricty. Using the amp controls only, my acoustic guitars (undersaddle) almost sound good. With more control (like Baggs para acoutstic DI) it sounds pretty aceptable.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 04/29/2009 11:36:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  11:58:47 AM  Show Profile
Bob, I was pretty surprized how well the DA5's handled the microphones and ukuleles at the same time. They were perfect for the street fair application, where we just needed enough to cut above the ambient noise of the crowd without annoying other vendors. They had enough power in reserve to do that, too. This street fair, like others we've played at charge between $50 and $100 bucks to tap into their AC power which usually has a lot of voltage drop over the long extension cords. $5 bucks worth of alkaline C cells (Big!Lots) goes a long way in the DA5's. A friend claims running an MP3 player through one at an all night party for over 10 hours and still running strong. Ric

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  12:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Has anyone tried the Line 6 Micro Spider, which has similar specs (including battery life) but includes an acoustic setting? Or is one of the clean settings on the Vox fairly transparent?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 04/29/2009 1:05:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  9:38:37 PM  Show Profile
The Line6 Micro is muddy and does not have near the acoustical output of the Vox DA5, Craig. The DA5 is pretty transparent on it's first clean setting. I have quite a bit of experience with the battery powered amps:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7224

I currently own:

3 Vox Da5's
2 Crate Profiler Series Model 5's
2 Roland Microcube RX's
1 Roland Microcube Bass RX
1 Crate Taxi TX15
1 Carvin S400D

for playing gigs indoors and out. These amps have gotten a workout over the last year. Give me a buzz at (760)458-6656 if you'd like to discuss your application for the amp and I'll let you know what works best for me. We can probably meet up so you can test drive them. Ric

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  06:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by ricdoug

The Line6 Micro is muddy and does not have near the acoustical output of the Vox DA5, Craig. The DA5 is pretty transparent on it's first clean setting.

Thanks Ric, that answer along with the other post (which I somehow missed) give me everything I need. I appreciate the offer for additional help though.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  11:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Craig,
Come by tonight and you can chat with him. Ric used to own a music store in 29 Palms.
Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  05:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Unfortunately Thursday nights are out for me when my daughter is in school, otherwise I'd be there as often as possible.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  9:47:23 PM  Show Profile
What's your intended application for the amp, Craig? Beach jamming? 20 to 50 member audience? Larger venue? Ric

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000