Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Multiple guitars on stage
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  01:23:50 AM  Show Profile
I usually take two-three guitars on stage when I play because I do not like to re-tune on the fly. I like to have the tunings tweaked and tempered before I start.
So anyway, now I have three guitars on stage and one amp (2 inputs).
How do you guys deal with this? Does anyone think a small 4-6 channel mixer would work?
A three into one (morley) stomp box would work but I may have another person on stage with me and we may have 4 guitars up there in the future (using one amp).
What do some of you do when you have lots of guitars to plug in?
Oh, I should mention that I have tried but decided not to mic anymore.
Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bob

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  04:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
I too use multiple guitars to minimize retuning on stage. One way of coping is to use a tuner pedal. The BOSS TU-2 tuner stomp box works very well, and is silent in its switching. So you can use only one input and plug/unplug different guitars on the fly.

One caveat on the TU-2: it was designed with young eyes in mind. The indicator for sharp of pitch is just the decimal or period after the letter, and is not even a different color. At age 49 I could not see it from the floor anymore. I switched to the Fender stomp box tuner, which has an actual visible sharp symbol on the display.

Yet another approach is the Planet Waves Circuit Breaker cable. It has a small switch right on the jack, so you can mute the signal and plug/unplug. Again, no noise on switching and you keep to only one input.

"If I bring out several guitars, it looks like a bigger act". - Mike Dowling
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  04:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Yet another approach is the Planet Waves Circuit Breaker cable. It has a small switch right on the jack, so you can mute the signal and plug/unplug. Again, no noise on switching and you keep to only one input.
That is what came to my mind and would be my recommendation.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  06:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I just hit the mute switch on my effects box, but Ledward used to carry a mini-mixer with him to mix two guitars and an ukulele. He recently switched to a small preamp and he just turns the volume down to switch instruments.

The good thing about the mixer is the ability to tweak the EQ for different instruments. The Behringer Xenix 1202 handles four inputs for a very reasonable price.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  08:15:13 AM  Show Profile
I've used something like this to connect multiple instruments to one input. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX400.aspx

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  4:12:54 PM  Show Profile
I just turn down the volume control on the amp, plug in the next guitar and then turn the volume control up to it's last setting. It's a pretty simple and universal solution. Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  6:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Planet Waves circuit breaker cable seems like a good option. But, if you ever get tired of lugging around multiple guitars, headstock tuners seem to work great for tuning changes.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  10:12:55 AM  Show Profile
You guys all have more than 1 guitar you say? I must have missed that memo.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  11:12:07 AM  Show Profile
... and there is always that gibson robot guitar that tunes itself for you :D
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  1:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
... or the Variax Acoustic, which lets you switch between custom tunings almost instantly with a quick move of a slider. (Not to mention the ability to dial in the sound of different guitars.) It only changes the tuning on the output signal though.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  04:30:03 AM  Show Profile
Variax eh? Interesting! You know that was a very inconsiderate suggestion cpatch, considering I have a severe case of GAS. LOL!

I think the planet waves cord would be worth trying--or, I may actually try retuning on stage. However, it bothers me greatly when I think I am in tune and then do an interval somewhere along the way that proves otherwise. At that point, I become totaly distracted.

A few years ago I thought I would never be playing on stage but here I am doing it.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  11:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Bob,
Regarding retuning on stage; if you think a specific interval or two might give yo a problem, play them for yourself before you turn the volume back up, or just noodle them while talking to the audience and adjust as necessary before you actually play the next tune.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  11:23:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

... or the Variax Acoustic, which lets you switch between custom tunings almost instantly with a quick move of a slider. (Not to mention the ability to dial in the sound of different guitars.) It only changes the tuning on the output signal though.

My friend had one of those. It was cool so long as your amp was louder than the acoustic sound of the guitar. Otherwise, it was just confusing.

He liked to use it for heavy metal and simulating dropping 3 semi-tones down from std tuning.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  2:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
or just noodle them while talking to the audience and adjust as necessary before you actually play the next tune.

That is very good advice. Not only does this let you check if you are in tune, but a little creative noodling becomes a very nice intro.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000