Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 " `Ikena "
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  2:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
I liked it - my haumana can expect to learn Hula in Seven.

http://www1.epinions.com/review/Ikena_9_16_by_Daniel_Ho_Tia_Carrere_644718006420/content_460523605636

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  08:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
My "Northwest Hawai`i Times" review from Nov. 2008 ---
http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/Music/greggnov08.htm#ho
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  7:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Brief interviews with Daniel Ho, Tia Carrere & Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman (conducted by Braddah Stephen Gomes) are now up on the "Hawai`i Radio Connection" website --- http://www.hawaiiradioconnection.com/audio2.htm
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  12:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I tink dat can of worms is about to open up once again and dem buggahs goin crawl all ova da place.

I respect Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman so very much. She is right on the money when she talks about taking the songs, the music of Hawai`i with you wherever you go. I love reading the words of her mele. I love picking her brain, listening to her share her mana`o. Oh, she has so much to teach us.

But I get my hackles up when the interviewer speaks of "pettiness" of people who do not believe that the album should have won. The people who believe it should not have won deserve every bit of respect and aloha as those who agreed with the interviewer's personal opinion. And when Daniel Ho expresses his surprise that the CD was not getting any local Hawaiian airplay nr that there was so much "negative" buzz on various internet sites such as Taro Patch, he was taken aback. Well, he should not be taken aback. He made a product and customers didn't want it as much as he thought they would. It is economics. Supply and demand. Some people want to buy it and some do not.

But Mr. Interviewer -- phooey on you if you think those who did not fall madly in love with Mr. Ho's product and commented about it were "petty". Ooooh, that makes Auntie grumpy. Interviewers/journalists need to remain neutral, because Mr. Interviewer, you just insulted an awful lot of your audience, whether you know it or not. So Auntie had to tell you about it. OK, now lets make ho`oponopono.

I am going to be very honest -- I would have bought the recording simply because of its association with Amy Stillman. She deserves that respect. Moreover, I wanted to support her because I have benefited from her aloha, from her sharing her knowledge with us when she comes to Cleveland, but I did not care for the way the music was sung, plain and simple. Not my style, so I did not buy it. Nothing petty about it just an economic decision that you buy what you have money for and what you like.

OK now Auntie is going to go get a diet soda and sit in the recliner for a while.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  2:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Wanda, you speak with honesty. I'll make sure he gets your comments. Worms don't belong in cans.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  4:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Ya pays yer money & ya takes yer choice. The interviewer liked it. That's all. From his perspective, it was good and he was surprised the general reaction was less enthusiastic. No need to read anything else into it. Taste is a very personal thing, especially when the audience contains a mixed demographic. I haven't yet heard the sound clips from the CD, as I'm waiting for the furor to settle so I'm not so influenced by what I read instead of what I hear. This will work fine for me; I tend to look as much towards old music as new. Part of that is not paying attention to the radio, it's all new if I haven't heard it before. A year or so ago, we "discovered" Kalamas Quartet and Myrtle K. Hilo. Sure am glad someone liked and respected these musicians enought o reissue them on CD.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  06:31:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Wanda, you speak with honesty. I'll make sure he gets your comments. Worms don't belong in cans.

Retro, maybe worms don't belong in cans . . . but SPAM sure does! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtV63UXj_GM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  09:43:39 AM  Show Profile
I do hope that no one thinks I am grouching because the interviewer liked the music and I personally did not. That is not the point I was trying to make at all. I meant to point out that calling folks "petty" if they did not want to partake of the music was perhaps not a pono thing to do. And as my dear husband says "taste is a very personal thing" is so very true. That is a point which I wished the interviewer had considered before calling people petty.

ps: doug, I am writing a song about manapua. And I ain't even Hawaiian and I ain't even a slack key playah.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 05/01/2009 09:45:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000