Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 For the Book Readers - A Different Perspective
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  07:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Two good ones for the readers:

Dismembering Lahui
by Jonathan Kay Kamakawiwo`ole Osorio

Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American Colonialism
by Noenoe K. Silva

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  3:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo PoiDog. I am always on the lookout for swell books to read.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  3:14:29 PM  Show Profile
"The weak are always at the mercy of those in power" -Joseph Heller
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  11:43:55 PM  Show Profile
My books came this past Monday. I have not started reading them yet though. I made our screened in back porch into a summer sanctuary where I can have a peaceful place to sit and read and listen to the birds and see the critters. But I have one neighbor who is also retired but has no life. He cuts his grass at least three times a week. With a ride on tractor mower kind of thing for a small yard. Then he hauls out the regular walk behind mower to get the areas the tractor cannot get to, then he has to get out the weed whacker which has to be at least 150 dB. THREE times a week. Disturbing my quiet place for reading. When when nomo grass to cut, he drives down the street on the riding mower to a lot next door to us which had the house torn down and is now empty and full of weeds. He cuts part of that, too. Then he also cuts the yard at a house across the street in return for being able to use their garage for a classic old car. And when he is not cutting grass, he is talking on the phone either on a cordless or on a cell phone, talking at 150 dB, think. Walking aroundd in his garage while I am trying to sit on the back porch in my quiet and mellow place. Hearing every steenking word of his conversations because he has gone deaf from running the darn lawn machines THREE DAYS A WEEK.

Poi Dog - maybe when I am pau reading we can discuss the books on here along with anyone else who has read them. We can make like the Oprah Book Club and Kanikapila.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  10:59:06 AM  Show Profile
PoiDog,

Mahalo for the heads up on the books. Looks like good summer reads.

Sounds like Heller took the words right out of Major Major Major Major's mouth.

I'm very thankful for the retired Mexican up the street who mows my lawn once a week without asking. Allows me to go to my peaceful placed and not stress over the yard.

dog

Wag More. Bark Less

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 06/19/2009 11:35:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  2:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Dog,
I lost your contact info. Please send me a note with tp link with your phone number or email
Thanks
Raymond
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000