Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Bobby Moderow/Maunalua, Concord, CA 03/03/13
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm passing along this note regarding the Hoku award-winning Maunalua concert this Sunday, March 3, at The Cue in Concord. Maunalua is led by Bobby Moderow, a terrific slack key guitarist/vocalist, whose enthusiasm and aloha is infectious. Bobby learned slack key from the late, great Raymond Kane, and therefore is grounded in the tradition, but he definitely adds his own style, technique and energy.

In the past year or two, Bobby has performed solo here in the Bay Area, but this is the first time the rest of Maunalua will be joining him.

Aloha,
Doug

-----
Join us this Sunday as Maunalua comes to Northern California for the first time! If you love Hawaiian music then this is a MUST SEE SHOW!!! Limited seating so buy your tickets now.

Sunday, March 3, 2013
Live at The Cue!
1835 Colfax St. Concord, CA
Showtime 7pm -- Doors open at 6pm
$20 General Admission --buy online HERE: http://www.landezapresents.com/LandezaPresents.com/Home.html

$10 Dinner Plate Lunch sold separately!
For additional info call
LandezaPresents/Candy Alesna Santos 510.423.3052
www.landezapresents.com

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  1:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice interview today with Bobby Moderow by Jeanne Cooper of SF Gate online magazine here in the Bay Area: http://blog.sfgate.com/hawaii/2013/02/28/maunalua-brings-hawaiis-music-for-a-weary-world-to-bay-area-this-weekend/#print

Maunalua brings “Hawaii’s music for a weary world” to Bay Area this weekend

For those Hawaiian music fans lucky enough to have caught one of slack key and falsetto star Bobby Moderow Jr.‘s rare Northern California gigs in the last few years, you’re in for a triple threat — better yet, a triple treat — when he returns this weekend for an even rarer Mainland show with his award-winning band of braddahs, Maunalua.. The Friday night house band of Duke’s Waikiki, Maunalua infuses traditional and contemporary mele (“Pua Lililehua,” “Sanoe,” “Ka Lei,” “Hilo One,” etc.) with a reverent exuberance that creates instant classics — one reason the group was chosen to entertain at President Obama’s 2009 inaugural lū‘au, and has racked up Nā Hōkū Hanohano awards ever since its debut album in 2000.

Moderow and Maunalua bandmates Kahi Kaonohi and Richard Gideon appear this Friday (March 1) at Pono Hawaiian Grill in Santa Cruz and Sunday at Live at the Cue in Concord. I caught up with Moderow via e-mail Wednesday (due to our current 10-hour time zone difference) about his plans for this weekend’s shows.

Q.: What does it mean to you to perform here with the band, rather than solo?
A.: I love the dynamic of being alone on stage just with my guitar and the energy from the audience, really great! But with my brothers with me, it makes for an amazing musical quality that in no way shape or form can I replicate wale no, or in English, by myself alone.

Q.: How do you approach the set list for the Mainland audience, and what type of audiences have you found here on your solo shows?
A.: We will be performing the songs everyone has come to associate with the band from prior albums, as well as a “preview of coming attractions,” song wise, with the release of our fourth CD later this year. The types of persons enjoying the show we do and have put on tend to be of the romantic variety. (They) either have been, or want to get to Hawai‘i, as our music truly is the soundtrack to the Aloha we have here in the islands. It really comes through. And it is transferable!

Q.: How would you characterize Maunalua’s form of Hawaiian music, given the ever-widening meaning of the genre?
A.: Our music is a fusion, a hybrid of sorts. We are steeped with the past while facing future. There will always be a very Hawaiian sound to our music with an edge that we carefully integrated to keep it interesting to a very discerning clientele. People now really know their Hawaiian music, they know what they like and know when it is performed genuinely.

Q.: Who are your influences, and who do you see continuing your particular approach to Hawaiian music?
A.: Our performances are influenced by groups (such) as Makaha Sons of Ni‘ihau, Hui ‘Ohana, Sunday Manoa, Brothers Cazimero, Gabby Pahinui and the list could go on and on. We are seeing so many youngsters interested with the Hawaiian music today … there has been an influx of keiki performing beautifully!

Q.: How will your upcoming recording differ from your previous Na Hoku-winning efforts?
A.: We learned early on that if nothing is broke, no fix ‘um then! This album will be more of the same, Hawai‘i’s music for the weary world. Praying to have an impact to make this place a more beautiful and peaceful world –if this world needs a little more of anything, Aloha is the way!

Friday’s show at Pono Hawaiian Grill begins at 6 p.m.; $10 donation suggested. On Sunday, doors open at 6 p.m. at he Live at the Cue (1836 Colfax, Concord) for the 7 p.m. show; $20 general admission, dinner sold separately.

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 02/28/2013 1:35:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000