Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 New You Tube
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  3:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha all!

I'm pleased to say that my latest you tube is up and running here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tSvFY9zKSo&feature=youtu.be

It's Sonny Chillingworth's Moe 'Uhane, a tune that John Aveiro (T-patch "javeiro") first played in our living room over a year ago. I immediately fell in love with it and knew I had to learn it. Thanks to John's encouragement and Mark Hanson's excellent transcription I've given it a run. Of course the sweet character of Sonny's recording may always elude this haole kid but here's my first shot at it.

Mahalo for listening.

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana

Edited by - TerryLiberty on 08/01/2013 04:19:27 AM

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  5:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NICE!
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  7:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting it, Terry . . . very nice!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  06:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very pretty!
Go to Top of Page

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  07:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha!

Sirduke responded to my YouTube on YouTube. In part he wrote:
quote:
"...The arpeggio sequence starting at 0:56 is pretty impressive. That part is actually played with a Gabby Pahinui technique that Ozzie refers to as "Brush stops" Much easier to execute than the arpeggios. I use this technique a lot in my "Slack Key Hula" video. At 1:20. 1:31 &1:56 are similar "Brush stops" to what you arpeggiate in "Moe 'Uhane" I also do a "Brush stop" for every "resolve" in Slack Key Hula. Learning to do it Gabby's easier way would make it more accessible..."

Duke: Thanks for taking the time to watch. I really want to do justice to Sonny's tune. It's such a beauty. Interesting you should mention the arpeggio. Mark's transcription notates it the way Sonny plays it - using Gabby's "brush stop". What's interesting is that I must have given that technique a thousand tries and never got it to feel right. After that I tried an arpeggio from treble toward bass (AMIP) and found that harder. After over a month of fooling with one measure of music I finally fell back on what is the easiest for me and that's the PIMA arp. The only problem is that it states the notes in reverse order. Ah well. Funny how some folks' easy is other folks' hard.

I listened to your Slack Key Hula
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5QKYeK3bE
and loved it. I can hear the brush stops at the points you mention. They flow so well in the tune. That was the first You Tube of yours I'd heard over a year ago. I loved the "Take 1" at the beginning. The "Take 2" on Moe 'Uhane is inspired by it.

Mahalo for your kind words.

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana

Edited by - TerryLiberty on 08/01/2013 07:24:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  11:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I listened to your Slack Key Hula

The Duke is a major source of inspiration, didn't you know that Terry?
Go to Top of Page

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  5:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has been for me ever since I discovered his you-tubes about a year a go.

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000