Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Backyard Slack Key
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  08:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ledward often talks about the parties in Kalapana when he was growing up, how they had no radio or television or records and provided their own entertainment, with different aunties and uncles performing their featured dance or song. He and his wife, Sharon, carry on the tradition in their garage in Kane`ohe, with friends and neighbors and relatives bringing food to share and instruments to play, celebrating Friday night, sometimes several times a week (grin).

Last week I brought the camera bag, Pat La`a joined us, and we shot a little video backyard style. Since the party was well under way and the talk story was rolling, we decided to plug the guitars directly into the Zoom H6 recorder. Ledward had his big Martin tuned to one of the tunings he learned from Uncle Fred Punahoa, a C Maunaloa with the bass strings arranged like taropatch, the V on the bottom string and the I on the fifth string. The whole tuning is G C E G A E - so it's more tightened than slacked, but the sound is sweet as anything. He's recorded a lot with this tuning and some variations he has developed over the years, but he rarely plays this tuning in his live shows, so I was thrilled to have a chance to capture a bit of his playing in this style.

If you've heard the breakthrough Hui Ohana album "Young Hawai`i Plays Old Hawai`i" you've heard "Salomila" played in this tuning, now you can see how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3UZJVYRoZw

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  1:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice music and scenery. Wish I was there.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

malihini
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  08:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't mind being Ledward's neighbor! Went to see him twice at The Surfer Bar. Always no ka 'oi!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  09:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the video and insights. Your videos are more professional every time I see them.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am fortunate to be one of Led and Sharonʻs neighbors and the Pau Hana Friday are indeed special. Itʻs just like how it was when I was growing up.Doesnʻt happen every Friday, but when it does the food, beer, music and jokes are good.
Go to Top of Page

MauiBuilt
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  12:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit MauiBuilt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome! "Salomila" is one of my go-to's (not that I can play anywhere near as well as you and Led).

Fran - I really like the accompanying arrangement you put together. I'm going to have to study it and try to add it to my repertoire, since I normally play it up high on the fretboard.

Thanks for posting!

www.mediocremusician.com
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  07:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RWD

Nice music and scenery. Wish I was there.

I hope your wish comes true, Bob.

quote:
Originally posted by malihini

Wouldn't mind being Ledward's neighbor! Went to see him twice at The Surfer Bar. Always no ka 'oi!

Dan Rather did a terrific show on Pearl Harbor a few years ago and one of the segments consisted of interviews of locals of Japanese heritage who remembered the attack. The interview was held at one of Led and Sharon's parties and his neighbor was one of the interviewees. Alice is still going strong and bringing pickled daikon over for Friday Night!

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Thanks for the video and insights. Your videos are more professional every time I see them.

Thanks, Andy. I'm thinking it's like anything else, the more you do 'em the more you figure out. When I started with Lynn's old camcorder I just wanted a picture that wasn't blobby. Now I want my color temperature just right (grin).

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

I am fortunate to be one of Led and Sharonʻs neighbors and the Pau Hana Friday are indeed special. Itʻs just like how it was when I was growing up.Doesnʻt happen every Friday, but when it does the food, beer, music and jokes are good.

Lucky live on the lane, eh Peter? Just hold onto your jacket (grin).

quote:
Originally posted by MauiBuilt

Awesome! "Salomila" is one of my go-to's (not that I can play anywhere near as well as you and Led).

Fran - I really like the accompanying arrangement you put together. I'm going to have to study it and try to add it to my repertoire, since I normally play it up high on the fretboard.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks, I hope the video is clear enough to see the fingers.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Russ Taylor
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  07:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been a fingerpicker for a long time, but just recently the taropatch fever got me and I think it has an incurable grip on me. It started when I heard "Radio Hula" on the local college radio station, then I remembered your tab for Salomila in AG magazine, dug that out and started to try and get the feel for it. Since then I've purchased a few different Slack key books and have been watching alot of youtube vids. Ledwards playing is so beautiful and looks effortless. I've dabbled in open tunings before, so taropatch isn't completely strange to me, but getting the flow and feel is no easy! I appreciate what you've been doing because it inspires me, an old white dude in Florida having never been to the islands.

Long time guitar picker, but new to slack key. Love it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000