Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Slack Key lessons over Skype?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2021 :  06:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eyonwood.. I know this is 5 years late but for anyone who might have the same questions. Mark Nelson's Jam Play lessons will certainly help. You can watch the video, listen to the midi and slow it down as slow as you want and also read the notes he offers. Especially good as he talks about playing the melody from the specific shord sahapes.
quote:
Originally posted by Eynowd

OK, I'll give that a go when I'm away next week. :)

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2021 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff Peterson has the Cadillac web site for learning Slack Key. Many dozens of songs (maybe hundreds), three skill levels, real-time lessons on Saturday and it's reasonably priced. He also does custom video and tab lessons if he has time (He's done a couple for me that were great on tunes not likely to show up on his regular list). I've been a subscriber for three years. If I'd had his stuff 18 years ago I might be a pro by now (right?). JeffPetersonGuitar.com.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2021 :  04:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chunky. ive been catching Jeff on his live Stageit shows every week. Stageit.com.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2021 :  04:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Chunky. I've been tempted to subscribe to Jeff's lessons but I havent worked my way through Mark Nelsons yet. i am about 30% through. For me, im trying to avoid my old problems and that is not sticking through to the end.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2021 :  04:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like Jeff's DVD instructional video, purchased directly from him after a concert. It is listed as "beginning" and heaven help me if he ever comes out with an "advanced". I have to set sections to loop over and over to catch the subtle little things he shows in passing.

Ron, I also get the follow-through issue. I suggest that you finish working through Mark's Jam Play lessons before diving headlong into something else. It is so tempting to skip around to the next shiny object.... oh look, a squirrel!
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2021 :  04:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Avoid the big shiny objects for now . ha ha

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2021 :  11:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you guys see some of the videos being posted on FaceBook from George Kahumoku's workshop this week? They are on the group page, titled George Kahumoku's Slack Key Workshop. I really liked seeing what they had to say and some of the videos were at least fun to watch even though they are being done by their phones. I'd like to see a program if anyone has one.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2021 :  12:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It occurred to me that while I gave you some information, I never actually answered your original question. I would be OK with Skype/Zoom/etc for lessons (and have even taught a few myself but not slack key). My problem is an erratic work schedule and the inability to commit to a weekly lesson and get in my practice. Some weeks I work 70 hours, some weeks I have very little to do - and there is no way to predict that. With adults, the few guitar lessons I give are done every other week. Life just gets in the way.

I never see any videos on Facebook, as I don't go there - not now, not ever. I appreciate when artists go outside the FB world and put videos on their web site or on YT. I suggest that you search for Fran Guidry and Uncle Led and the many YouTube videos that Fran has posted - suh-weet!
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  06:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl... Oh yes. I have spent countless hours on YT watching Led and Fran amongst others. Thanks for the feedback. Ron

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000