Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 My 13 year old haumana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  02:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sharing a video of my 13 year old kiho'alu haumana, Jonah Domingo (no relation but our ohana have a long history together) playing his own arrangement of Ledward's "Ku'uipo Onaona" Jonah has been studying with me for about a year & a half now. I'm very proud of him & his progress so far. From the beginning I have always encouraged him to watch people like Ledward, Zach Onaga & others on YouTube as other resources for learning kiho'alu because I don't want him to become a carbon copy of me. Trying to get him exposed to all the great slack key influences so he become well rounded. In his rendition played in this video he figured out about 25% of the Ledward phrases on his own. Glad he's developing some of his own learning skills in the process. I'm hoping he eventually develops his own style & sound someday. Also hoping he will be the one to carry kiho'alu into the future. Jonah makes me a very proud kumu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjHLJRzNmE4

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  05:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nicely done Jonah, and Duke. I'd say that the future of slack key is in pretty good hands.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  07:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for the kind words & vote of confidence, Earl.

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  08:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not just the notes but the feel, the time, the tone, all coming through. Of course with you as a kumu, Duke, Jonah has a wonderfully musical model to learn from.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  11:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ony nice!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  4:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job Duke. I wish I had someone like you here in San Diego.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2016 :  12:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great praise, Fran. I can take some credit for the notes but his timing & tone are all stuff he honed as an exceptional ukulele player prior to studying with me. Awesome haumana that makes me look good lol

Mahalo nui Kory & Terry. We would have some good kanikapila sessions if I were in San Diego for sure, Terry

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  04:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, Duke! So good to see you helping kids to carry on the tradition.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  11:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Andy

It's actually refreshing to see a youngster interested in kiho'alu. Young man with an old heart who likes old fart music. I try to teach him the original versions of the slack key standards then show him variations & suggest he watch YouTube to find other variations. He's a very good haumana that also studies on his own. I've taken him to see Ozzie so he can absorb mana'o from other sources. I've had him at my kanikapilas where he was exposed to slackers like David Kaio, Zach Onaga, Jonathan Castillo & even TP member Terry Beckhelm. I want him to learn from as many sources as possible. I think that approach will go a long way in benefitting him towards developing his own sound & style. I hope he continues to study kiho'alu & be the one that carries it into the future..........There's another young man I'm trying to badger into taking lessons but he's got a lot of other activites going on & doesn't have the time. What I'd really like is to have a young female haumana to teach. I think it would go a long way in helping to perpetuate kiho'alu.

Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  5:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bravo Duke, So good to see traditional style slack key being passed down. Elder, (sorry) to younger generation. You teach the fundamentals, but allow individual expression. I'm sure this young man will carry your Mana'o for the rest of his life.

Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2016 :  12:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not offended at all about the "elder" reference I resemble dat!!!

I tell all my haumana they need to listen to all the great old timers to figure out what really appeals to them. I don't want them to be carbon copies of me.

As far as Jonah being a vessel that carries kiho'alu to his & the next generation I think there's a good possibilty. I teach for free but I have one stipulation, which is......"Whatever you learn from me you have to promise to share that mana'o with at least one other person somewhere down the line" I hope they in turn hold their haumana to the same stipulation.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  04:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Duke! Music at its best is communication. I play tunes my Dad learned from his Dad. I play tunes from my Mom's Dad. I play ki ho'alu I wen learn from da guy from Kaua'i 42 years ago. Even though folks are absent from our lives, they can still be present when we play tunes connected with them.
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  4:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke and Jonah, very well done! Very well indeed!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hosted a pretty good sized kanikapila yesterday that included a couple of well known slack key guitarists. At the kanikapila Jonah got the opportunity to play a few songs with His Highness Ledward Kaapana, TP member Fran Guidry & Kevin Brown. He also had a personal one on one lesson with Timi Abrigo of the Na Hoku Hanohano nominated Abrigo Ohana. Timi helped Jonah learn a variation of the bass run in "Ku'uipo Onaona" and got him started on Led's arrangement of "Chicken in the straw" (as Led calls it lol) on the ukulele. Jonah being an accomplished uke player absorbed about 2/3's of the song on the very first pass when Timi played it!!! Dunno if Jonah pick up any more mana'o from Ben Kaili or David Kaio but he did get to kanikapila with them yesterday. I want my haumana to be exposed to as many of the best kiho'alu players in hopes that they take advantage of the opportunity of internalizing & digesting some of their mana'o. Heck who knows he might have learned something about Hawaiian music from other kanikapila attendees like Auntie Lei Aken (Led's sis) or Mike Keale or songbird Emily Abrigo. Or some ukulele mana'o from Terry Brown & Samson Ah Mook Sang. I hope this boy realizes how fortunate he is to have some mentorship from all of these perpetuators of Hawaiian music. I wish I had that when I was young.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  7:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's a very lucky lad indeed.

Wish I could have been there for the kanikapila. Sounds like an awesome line up.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  12:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duke, thanks so much to you and Lanet Abrigo for pulling the kanikapila together. You found a great location and brought together a great group of players. Led and I were both bummed that we had prior commitments and had to leave so early, but we really enjoyed the time we spent in the circle.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page