Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Sad day for Hawaiian music
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2017 :  7:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/05/28/breaking-news/hawaiian-musician-martin-pahinui-dies/

RIP Brother Martin. May your sweet Music live forever.

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just as in rock & roll and other popular music, many of the masters are getting on in age. We are losing them in Hawaiian music too.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  05:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncle Martin was a humble, talented guy. His version of "Pu`uanahulu" with Hapa on the "Namahana" album is my benchmark. Then listen to "Jealous Guy" from the "Pahinui Bros" album with Bla and Cyril. Traditional Hawaiian and Rock and roll, he could do it all.

We were blessed to host Martin, Aaron Mahi and George Kuo when they did a gig in San Diego in 2003 (the first one that Don Narup and I organized). We had a lot of late night talk story with good anecdotes. I heard some gems about the Pahinui Bros album and the aborted "world tour". I had been given a heads-up by Auntie Maria Hickling (who started the Mele.com site) about what the guys liked to eat. So, for Martin (in the days before he had his new teeth made), I had loaded up on sushi. He also loved to drink Sprite. We had 2 days of stories, music and laughs. My only regret was that at that time I didn't play well enough to contribute much to the jam sessions.

One of the highlight best times for me was at a concert in Vegas in 2005 when Martin and Cyril played together and Frank Hewitt danced. Can't buy memories like that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000