Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Thumb in the first measure of 'Opihi Moe Moe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  1:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right hand question. In the first measure of 'Opihi Moe Moe, does the thumb play all of the first notes of every beat, or do you use you pointer finger there? The downbeat is played by the thumb, obviously, but I'm curious how you all play the riff.

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  3:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the above tab from Leonard Kwan's "Red Book" or did you get this from somewhere else? It doesn't look accurate to me. Seems like there's an economy of motion issue here. Fretting the 4th string at the 5th fret is a G. Same note as the 3rd string open. That second grouping of 3 notes in your tabs seems like a "more difficult than it needs to be" section. Timing has to be immaculate because those notes come in rapid succession & you have to fret the 4th string on the 5th fret then pluck it again with only one note in between at an uptempo pace. In Ozzie's tab those first 5 notes is an arpeggio of 5 open strings in this sequence 5-3-4-2-3 Then his resolve is also an all open string arpeggio 5-3-4-3-5-2-4-1. All the 5's & 4's are plucked by your thumb of course, index for the third & middle for the 2nd string. Middle or ring for the 1st string (your preference).

Try it, it's more economical & easier to play this way. Email me at "dukedomingo58 @ yahoo.com" and I'll send you Ozzie's tab for "Opihi moemoe"
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  3:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW I have tabs in the TabEdit format that is exactly like those you show above. A friend of mine created those tabs & is notorious for "More difficult than it needs to be" transcribing. He occasionally makes a mistake with the alternating bass pattern too.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  05:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks for the tip. Yup, it's from the TabEdit version. Email sent.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  01:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got Leonard Kwan's Red Book (thank you Ebay and the alert from Taropatchers years ago when it came up!). Let's add this to our practice, next time we see each other. Which I think should be soon!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000