Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 SirDuke: Your Opihi Moe Moe is the shiznit!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  09:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is terrific, have you guys heard this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2qCEKiPWM0

Duke, these are the coolest licks! How did you come up with your rendition? Who's Opihi Moe Moe's do you like?

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  11:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha Mahalo for the kind words Sebastian. It's loosely based on Leonard Kwan's original. The same song that enamoured me to kiho'alu about 1/2 a century ago. Like most of my renditions I borrow licks from other slackers like Peter Moon, Ledward, Keola Beamer, Nolan Hao etc. If you noodle around enough in the tuning & song you'll figure out all kinds of neat stuff. Lots of times you're able to "cross polinate" Which means you can sometimes borrow a lick from a totally unrelated song, tweak the tempo or add or subtract a note or two to make it fit & you end up with something unique. Common practice by most of the slackers I've encountered. Sometimes you hear a cool variation in your head & you just search the fretboard until you figure it out.

Back in the days when I would try to figure out songs by ear from recordings. I would manually try to find the part I was working on by placing the stylus as close as possible to "the spot" on the LP. Or I'd keep rewinding the cassette when techynology got better. Lots of times I'd get tired & irritated with constantly rewinding so I'd try to figure it out by memory. When I thought I figured it out I'd played that part with the recording only to find that it was different. I accidentally came up with a variation that I ended up keeping

Best way to make your own rendition is to listen to as many different versions of the song as possible. Then take bits & pieces that appeal to you from each version. Lots of times there are licks from your "inventory" (licks you've learned from other songs) that you could import to make interesting variations. Just keep noodling. Some won't work but some will
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  05:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff. What about the form? Is that your doing, the reshuffling and repetitions? (As compared to the Kwan)
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  08:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YupRepetitions are to stretch the song & fit in all the variations I come across
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  07:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Slipry1 says: The more you do it, the better you get. Recordings can give a false sense of reality, because they don't show the practice and effort and time that went into the performance. Also, we tend to think that we should show the perfection of the recording ASAP, rather than work towards proficiency. One more thing: Recordings don't show the musical community that nurtures, grows, and inspires the music.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000