Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Blackbird Farallon composite ukulele
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  06:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have my new composite Farallon tenor ukulele now, and absolutely love it! Blackbird got their start building carbon fiber instruments, but recently branched out into a linen fiber composite material they call ekoa. It looks much like mahogany or a plain grade of koa wood, and has a bright punchy sound -- perfect for leading my ukulele club jams.

The biggest advantage is that it is impervious to humidity conditions, and is mostly resistant to anything but the highest of temperatures (like a hot car on a sunny Arizona day). So it can travel with us mostly worry-free now that my wife is retired. Farallon has largely displaced my past primary ukulele, a Big Island Uke Company Honu model tenor.
https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/collections/ukuleles/products/farallon-tenor-ukulele

I also own one of their carbon fiber guitars, the Lucky 13. They make wonderful guitars out of ekoa too, the El Capitan mini-jumbo and the Savoy parlor.

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  4:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congratulations...
and I like the base price: $1,492
but of course I'd want some extras..
so probably cost about $1,778
Probably can afford it in 2525, if I'm still alive. And prices might go up.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 02/05/2018 4:27:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  06:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane
Probably can afford it in 2525, if I'm still alive. And prices might go up.

But the instrument will still be around in 2525. I used it last night to lead our club jam -- 22 players. With a felt flat pick and some aggressive strumming, it could be heard throughout the room.

Mine is the base model. The only upgrades are a sound port and a pickup, but I don't need either. I guess you could add their nice sunburst finish as used on the guitars (pricey) and maybe some inlay work (also pricey).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000