Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "My Yellow Ginger Lei" in Drop C
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  10:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Leonard Kwan did his famous "My Yellow Ginger Lei" medley in taropatch G, it's a recording I've revisited dozens of times to "borrow" bits and pieces. Of course I've listened just for the enjoyment hundreds of times. And I've heard Led Kaapana play the medley by itself and also weave it into his "Radio Hula" many times. But I was fooling around in drop C a few weeks ago and started hearing "My Yellow Ginger Lei" in that tuning. Then I found the second song in Uncle Leonard's medley, "E Huli Huli Ho`i Mai" just laying there on the fretboard. What fun!

The other day I set up cameras and mics and shot a version of this drop C arrangement, and while I was at it I moved the cameras a bit and did a slower tutorial version with the video focused on the hands. And then I got ambitious, pulled out Tabledit, and worked up the tablature for the tutorial version.

You can find both videos and links to the tab at http://www.kaleponi.com/2018/06/02/my-yellow-ginger-lei-in-drop-c/

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  12:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, Fran! I'd figured it out in C in plain G Taropatch (not much time to tune with a halau). Uncle Leonard's medley of "Kaneohe-Mama E" also works well in Dropped C or G for C.
Go to Top of Page

qihai
Aloha

11 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fran. Very nice, loved it.
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finnish slack key enthusiast JP Happonen https://www.youtube.com/user/JPHappo found some goofs in my tablature and also tweaked the notation as created by Tabledit, so I've uploaded a corrected version. The existing links still work and bring up the new files.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  3:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Cool, Fran! I'd figured it out in C in plain G Taropatch (not much time to tune with a halau). Uncle Leonard's medley of "Kaneohe-Mama E" also works well in Dropped C or G for C.

That guy came up with some cool stuff, didn't he?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  3:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by qihai

Thanks Fran. Very nice, loved it.
Tony

Thank you, Tony.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  03:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leonard Kwan's "Red Album" and Ray Kane's "Black Album" are valuable assets!
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  07:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I paid $35 plus shipping for a scratched up old copy of the red album on Ebay the week before they put out the CD with Leonard's complete works - for $15.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  1:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Leonard Kwan's "Red Album" and Ray Kane's "Black Album" are valuable assets!

Fairly certain that both are available to stream on Spotify.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  04:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice arrangement, Fran.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  2:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill, did you try to follow the tab?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  2:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Fran, I was able to follow the tab very well. You not only did a good job with the arrangement, but you also did a very good job with the tab. Anyone should be able to follow it and learn from it as it is. There are a few things that I would do with it, but I don't want to mention them here. The reason that I don't get on this board very often is because I don't need the negativity that I have gotten from many of my posts. I think that people who make money with their music, as you and I do, get all the feedback, positive and negative, that they need from their audiences, right?
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  3:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill! Negativity comes from boxed in minds, mostly. Musicians should know that there are always new licks, chord forms, tunings, applications, etc to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bill! Negativity comes from boxed in minds, mostly. Musicians should know that there are always new licks, chord forms, tunings, applications, etc to learn.

The negativity that I found on here was not anything like you are envisioning. It was intended to start arguments, saying negative things about me and not the music, taking issue with things that I posted as facts, not opinion, and other snide remarks. Again, I can do without those kinds of comments, so I just stay away. Are there really 'new licks, chord forms, tunings, etc.' or have they always been around and we think they are new because we just discovered them?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2018 :  04:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This forum has way more aloha spirit and far less negativity than others that I used to participated in - and no longer do anymore.

The inherent limit in typing text versus talking with someone face to face is that even innocuous comments can be taken the wrong way. So much of communication is body language, tone of voice, inflection, facial expressions, and other things - and all that information is lost with plain text. Sorry that you've had negative experiences.

Remember: those than can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can't teach become critics.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  06:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or, "Those who can't teach, administrate." (Sorry, Andy!) - Woody Allen. Facts are sometimes treated as fiction by those whose universes are too small to allow in more info. People are sometimes afraid of knowledge because it causes re-evaluation and then imposes responsibility on the person. Responsibility can bring unwanted and unwarranted attention by those less or irresponsible. Partial knowledge is all we have, but most don't know that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000