Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Auntie Alice Namakelua - Paniolo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  2:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm working up a medley to cover a hula show costume change, 6 minutes of music, the show is paniolo themed. I'm hoping to pull together Auntie Alice's "Paniolo Slack Key" along with some version of "Kaula `Ili" and then "`Ulupalakua."

In the process I'm really listening to Auntie Alice all the way through and tracking the variations. I had the LP but after I transferred the tracks I let the album slip away. Does anyone have a copy of the liner notes? Any indication of the instruments on this track? I'm hearing a second guitar and I think bass. Near the end of the song the second guitar gets out of sync, and I think they get a couple of choruses of lead.

This cut is up on YouTube if you don't have a copy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz05uOlNUaU Definitely worth a listen. I have little hope that I'll be able to play like that when I'm 83.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  05:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That track is from Hula 552, and I think I have a copy, but it will take some excavation to get to it.

My research notes say that all the slack key tracks on the album "have uke and/or second guitar accompaniment" and that on "Paniolo Slack Key" Auntie provided her own second guitar part via multitracking. Nothing about a bass, which I don't think I hear (though computer speakers, so don't take that to the bank). I do think that I hear a uke backing as well, but that might be a high-voiced guitar.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  08:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the sound clip of Auntie Alice. It's nice to see how things were done, in the old timey way. The art was simpler...but truly art, done for joy and sharing. Now that's what art is supposed to do.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  06:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I've talked to various Hawaiian musicians I've heard over and over about Auntie Alice, how generous she was, how strict she was, how committed she was to Hawaiian arts.

Russell, the entry at Discogs mentions a bass player but doesn't have info for each track: https://www.discogs.com/Alice-Namakelua-Auntie-Alice-Kuuleialohapoinaole-Namakelua/release/4490468

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  08:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whooops! Did the database get reloaded and several days got lost? There are a few posts missing unless my recollection is totally off.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  08:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems so, a post of mine from a few days ago in this thread is also gone.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  12:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho! I thought it was a fig newton of my imagination! Duke wen' 2nd my notion dat when get 2 guitars, da 2nd should stay outa da 1st one's way, li'dat.
Go to Top of Page

alan_f
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  09:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Fran,

I just played at a Paniolo-themed show and was looking for some options to play -- started working on Auntie Alice's Ka Manu/Noho Paipai which is very similar to the track you posted. Jeff Peterson has a lesson on his slack key workshop website for it, but you have to be a member for that lesson. I didn't quite get it down in time for the show, but after your post reminded me I should work on it more.

Here's a video of Ka Manu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaduZSJoBBo

By the way, thank you for the videos you've posted on YouTube -- I've used them as resources while I've been learning. Would love to see how you play 'Ulupalakua -- I ended up pulling it from my slack key set because I wasn't making the E7 transition smoothly enough while singing and I ended up playing it on 'ukulele instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_L6WwecHiw&list=PLtTqBaoYgLQ97lTZBPqqPj6_FjxmgK-rC

If anyone's interested in Jeff's website he has some lessons available free here:

https://jeffpetersonguitar.com/free-lessons/

Mahalo,
Alan
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  09:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least I know now that it wasn't just me. Came back to look a couple of days ago & 2 of my comments were missing. Figure I just mistakenly compose my comment in invisible ink..........Nah seriously, I thought I was in the doghouse & got my comments deleted
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  07:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alan_f

Aloha Fran,

I just played at a Paniolo-themed show and was looking for some options to play -- started working on Auntie Alice's Ka Manu/Noho Paipai which is very similar to the track you posted.

Auntie Alice used a collection of melodic riffs as the basis for her song accompaniment and strung them together for "Paniolo Slack Key." In the lost discussion from a few days ago we talked about the "Fourteen Figures" which is a text based on Auntie Alice's slack key instruction, it lays out her collection of riffs.

quote:
Jeff Peterson has a lesson on his slack key workshop website for it, but you have to be a member for that lesson. I didn't quite get it down in time for the show, but after your post reminded me I should work on it more.

Here's a video of Ka Manu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaduZSJoBBo

That was inspiring but frustrating at the same time. If only they could have stayed on an unadorned shot of Auntie and her guitar, instead of zooming and double-screening and such.

quote:
By the way, thank you for the videos you've posted on YouTube -- I've used them as resources while I've been learning. Would love to see how you play 'Ulupalakua -- I ended up pulling it from my slack key set because I wasn't making the E7 transition smoothly enough

I don't know if you play this shape but a number of years ago someone showed me the "magic" E7 in taropatch (or drop C). Make a C shape. Pick up the finger on the second string - now it's an E minor. Make the C but move the index finger from the C on the second string to the G# on the third string - no it's an E major. Then pick up the finger on the first string to change the E down to a D. That's an E7. All these are "top four strings only" chords, but they sound pretty full because they're low on the neck.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  08:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have a copy of the text Fourteen Figures to share?
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  1:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry
If only they could have stayed on an unadorned shot of Auntie and her guitar, instead of zooming and double-screening and such.

I had to chuckle at this, because I've thought much the same thing while trying to study some of your vids, Fran

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that you mention it, Geoff, I have to chuckle too. Seems like once we get in the editing booth we just have to play with our toys.

If you catch me before I archive the footage, I'd be happy to post a "hands only" version if I have a camera catching that, and I usually do. I've done this by request in the past.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  10:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Now that you mention it, Geoff, I have to chuckle too. Seems like once we get in the editing booth we just have to play with our toys.

If you catch me before I archive the footage, I'd be happy to post a "hands only" version if I have a camera catching that, and I usually do. I've done this by request in the past.

It's all good. I understand from a casual viewing/listening point of view that a multi-shot edit, cut with scenery footage or what-have-you, is much more visually interesting than a single camera vid of someone just playing guitar. It makes sense.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  04:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup. There is a difference between making a video for casual viewers to watch versus making one for guitar players to study. Except for guitar geeks like us, the instructional video can be like watching paint dry - on video.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  1:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the notes on the LP for Paniolo Slack Key say the following: "On this recording she plays two series of different slack key figures on two guitars in counterpoint...with the ukulele strummed in the correct way to accompany slack key"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000