Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar Podcast, Smithsonian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  08:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

A very interesting podcast from the Smithsonian about Joseph Kekuku, who invented the Hawaiian steel guitar. It traces the importance of the Hawaiians and this instrument in regards to the beginning of country music and blues.

https://www.si.edu/sidedoor/ep-19-aloha-yall?fbclid=IwAR1Qs-erOsk4E_raSSYUBzKTSjVMMyIadH3kHJE8LZ66X-JM2PiB95O7-EY

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  08:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. One would think that Ken Burns could have consulted the Smithsonian for his country music documentary series.

But I did note that in episode 1, the first Jimmie Rodgers clip had a steel player backing him. Then a later still photo showed his band wearing leis, with a seated steel player in the foreground.

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2152 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  04:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool podcast. Mahalo for sharing!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic