Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Quite a weekend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  11:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We flew to O`ahu on Thursday and at the last minute scored tickets to Na Hoku Hanohano awards show. I'm not usually up for big events but Led was doing a number with the guys from Waipuna and we had heard that he might be getting a special award even though he didn't have a CD submitted.

The performance was spectacular, Led and Jesse Gregorio along with Waipuna (http://waipunaonline.com/) did Led's signature arrangement of "12th Street Rag/Sweet Georgia Brown." They seriously brought down the house. https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/video/2019/05/26/na-hoku-hanohano-awards-performances-waipuna-ledward-kaapana-jesse-gregorio/

Then two special awards went out to guys who have had a tremendous impact on my musical journey. The Ki Ho`alu Foundation Legacy Award went to Patrick Landeza and Led received the Moe Keale "Aloha Is" Award for Community Service.

We were introduced to a wonderful new young group, Na Wai `Eha from Maui. Four part falsetto harmonies!! Mark Yamanaka was maybe the big winner of the night with Album of the Year, Single of the Year, Song of the Year, Male Vocalist of the Year, and Island Music Album of the Year. All those trips to the podium were done by Lihau and Kellen Paik of Kupahoa (https://www.kupaoa.com/) because Mark was attending his daughter's graduation in Hilo.

Lots of terrific music throughout the evening but surprise of the night might have to go to John Cruz demonstrating his total genius songwriting with his poignant tone poem,"Dis Fly Goin' Die."

OK, that was Friday night. Led was also asked to perform at the annual lantern floating ceremony at Ala Moana Park. We've watched this event on TV and Lynn has expressed a desire to participate, but I have been reluctant to join the massive crowds and traffic. But Sharon Kaapana gifted us with a parking pass and performer passes so we arrived early and passed the time jamming in Led's air conditioned tent/green room. I must say that being present at the ceremony is much deeper experience than watching on television. Led and Jesse really contributed to the feeling with a gorgeous "I Kona" then closed the ceremony leading "Hawai`i Aloha." https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/05/27/photo-gallery/shinnyo-lantern-floating-hawaii-2019-ceremony/

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  5:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fran,
Thanks for the link. It's always fun to see Led do stuff we humans can't and it's amazing to see how far David Kamakahi has come since I first met him at my house in 2003. Good news about Patrick Landeza, too. He's one of the main reasons I got started in this stuff. I remember meeting you for the first time at his house in 2005 when we were doing the Slack Tracks recording. All good.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  10:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you had a great weekend, Fran!

How long are you on O`ahu for this trip?

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  03:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a special treat for you two, Fran! I hadn't heard about Led's award. Mahalo for sharing.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  4:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Fran,
Thanks for the link. It's always fun to see Led do stuff we humans can't and it's amazing to see how far David Kamakahi has come since I first met him at my house in 2003. Good news about Patrick Landeza, too. He's one of the main reasons I got started in this stuff. I remember meeting you for the first time at his house in 2005 when we were doing the Slack Tracks recording. All good.

Hey, Terry. It's funny how the artist views things at times - Led was sure it was a lame effort, probably because the monitors were not well balanced. Out in the audience it was epic!

Patrick was buried in lei and trying to get sympathy because they were so scratchy (grin).

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  4:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eynowd

Sounds like you had a great weekend, Fran!

How long are you on O`ahu for this trip?

Yeah, Geoff, it was beyond expectation all around.

We'll be here until August 4. You'll be here pretty soon, right?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  4:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

What a special treat for you two, Fran! I hadn't heard about Led's award. Mahalo for sharing.

Dusty, there was quite an effort to make it a surprise for him. The Academy had to trick him into coming to the awards ceremony and of course Sharon was involved in the game. I think they got away with fooling him and he was genuinely surprised.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  01:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry
Yeah, Geoff, it was beyond expectation all around.

We'll be here until August 4. You'll be here pretty soon, right?

Yep! We head to Maui on June 12 for the Kahumoku workshop for a week, and then back to O`ahu on June 20, before we fly home to Oz on June 26.

I'd love to meet you in person if there's a chance :)

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2019 :  09:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems like we should be able to figure out a way to connect while you're here. Let's stay in touch.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000