Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 K den going try sumting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2019 :  09:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been here daily as before, when I first started ki ho'alu. Now that I'm somewhat proficient, I haven't paid my respect to those that helped reach this level of competence. My apologies for the misstep.
I want to expand to other tuning, I started with open G, Taro Patch. If there was a song to accompany the tuning I would make progress, I think. I try the tuning, mess with it a while and become frustrated because nothing is happening, so back to open G. I have by no means mastered open G. What is the best way to go about this and make some progress? Mahalo braddas and Kupuna.

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2019 :  05:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The easiest variation of Taro Patch tuning is double-slack or G Wahine (DGDF#BD) used for Ray Kane's Punahele and others. Kumu Ozzie's book has a couple of those too.

One of the things I've done is to get some of Keola Beamer's books and his Homespun DVD. He has a number of tunes done in F Wahine tuning (CFCGCE). Noticing some similarities in the phrasing and parallel sixths, I started noodling and relearning some of my Taro Patch tunes from the Ozzie books and his DVD's in F Wahine. Now I can play several songs in either tuning. I always try to find 4-5 songs for each new tuning, just to make it worthwhile while I'm there.

Then there is Keola's C which lowers the bass strings to C (6th) and G (5th) but leaves the others in standard (CGDGBE). In addition to slack-key songs, that works for Richard Thompson's Vincent Black Lightning too. I always run through that one when in that tuning.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  1:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've ventured into the realm of G Wahine and couldn't make sense out of it. I am self taught with a help from Keola and Ozzie. Is there a song that I could play in G Wahine? I also have no music education, other than the classics and music appreciation at my local JC.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I just have to expand more, open g is too familiar and I need to expand my horizons.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  04:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Gary, no worry, you get'em bumbye. Listen to tunes when you're doing other things - you'll hear nuances that you weren't looking for. Play with others. Find a halau and learn to play back up, plus you'll learn a bunch more mele.
My kumu back in 1974 said that there were only 3 lessons: the right thumb on the bass (3 weeks of only that before he would show me anything else), the vamp ('cause he wen tell me dat haoles always fo'get da vamp - dis one go up, da oddah one go down - den can play any kine as long as it fit), and for G Taropatch, the chords (5 string banjo G tuning charts can be helpful). Keep at it.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  07:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mpi_50

I've ventured into the realm of G Wahine and couldn't make sense out of it. I am self taught with a help from Keola and Ozzie. Is there a song that I could play in G Wahine? I also have no music education, other than the classics and music appreciation at my local JC.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I just have to expand more, open g is too familiar and I need to expand my horizons.

The classic song in double slack is "Ki Ho`alu" which is on "Led Live Solo." Ray Kane used the tuning for "Punahele" and "Wa`ahila" on the albums of the same names. Mark Hanson's "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key" has tab for "Punahele."

And the heart of the tuning is Auntie Alice Namakelua. In addition to her album there is a copy of an instructional manual written by one of her students floating around somewhere.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  4:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mahalo fo dat one. K den, I go try make liddat. Ki ho'alu and Uncle Sonny's malasadas almost same. Is there a more familiar and classic song that fits the bill? I'll check out Auntie Alice too. Bradda Fran, Thumbstruck and Earl, mahalo nui.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  10:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Auntie Alice has her own work which I am not familiar with. I found the Ki ho'alu video and it shows how to do it quite clearly, so I going jus press.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  05:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho, Brah! Azz da way you do'em. Cannot finish pau until you staht.
Remember: your ear will always be ahead of your ability and hindsight will open you up to new things. When practicing, if you hit one wrong note, no worry - you need to know wea dat note stay.
No stress, jus' press.

Edited by - thumbstruck on 07/27/2019 03:47:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  4:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mahalo fo dat, bra. I get portagee blood, so little bit slow. Still trying. If I had chart kine dat show where fo put da finga on da string, den duck soup. But no can find. Maybe can you tube da bugga som moa. Aloha
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  03:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, foa G-Taropatch, can use 5-string banjo chords (foa da 4 high strings), easy foa find'em. Also, here in da 'patch, get some chord charts. Learning to play parallel 6ths up da neck is good. Learn as many vamps as you can (Slipry1 wen tell me dat if you can find one vamp you can find a mele). Can play any kine as long as it fit. No sked, mistakes show possibilities for other mele and positions. When you practice, no worry if get mistake. Also, remember: you know moa dan you did las' year. You will NEVER be able to play as good as you can hear - this makes progress possible. No stress, jus' press!

Edited by - thumbstruck on 07/27/2019 03:48:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey bra, what ees dat, parallel 6th. When I stay playing Salomila and adda songs lidat, get uku kine vamps. I go try look up da banjo kine stuff, but liddo bit leery cause das one foreign kine instrament. Nah, I no mo shame, too old fo dat kine stuff. Hey bra, eef you no like how I play, den no lissen, das how I feel. Going try Googo da G Wahine kine one mo time fo jus songs in da kine. Mahalo and Aloha nui.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  05:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parallel 6ths = in Taropatch tuning, when you play on da G string an' da high D, like G string 4th fret, high D 5th fret - from da note "B" to "G" is 6 steps of da scale, B,C,D,E,F#,G- 6 steps = 6th. Thirds = G to B,- G,A,B. Hope dis kokua. Can look on YouTube foa good video on "circle of 5ths and circle of 4ths" foa how chords work in different keys.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  10:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey bradda, I going tell you sumting but no go tell, hah. I wen tune to da wrong key. F sharp and F flat get big deefrence. Get da bugga right and den da bugga work mo betta, auwe, stay all shame now.
I teenk I went make li dat on da parallel kine, was accident, went sound good so I play em annykine.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  1:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho, Brah! No stress! Jus' press! Tuning is paht of da journey: we tune because us guys care. BTW, how'd did na kupuna an' da uncle guys find foa new tunings li'dat? You get'em! Listen, watch, try. 'Azz all you can do. Ony ting what you can do is have fun no mattah.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2019 :  09:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Bradda, no feel annymo shame, cuz was good fun annyway. Dazzright hah, bra. I going press all kine now!!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2019 :  2:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Azz da way! No shame try! if get questions, get choke peepo can give kokua hea. No shame ask!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000