Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Activity on Maui
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gtheisen
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2019 :  09:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey slackers. I’m heading to Maui from July 5 to 12. Taking my guitar for self entertainment. Does anyone know where there could be local slack key players , jamming , and activity ? I know about Wednesday eves at Napili. Thanks for any guidance.

gtheisen

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  3:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to connect with plenty there. Kevin Brown is on Maui, as is George Kahumoku.
Go to Top of Page

gtheisen
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  09:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I see that the Napili show happens every Wed. Any other activity or just hanging'/ jammin you know of?
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

You should be able to connect with plenty there. Kevin Brown is on Maui, as is George Kahumoku.

gtheisen
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2019 :  8:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gtheisen

Thanks. I see that the Napili show happens every Wed. Any other activity or just hanging'/ jammin you know of?

Maybe get in touch with Jason Jerome at Lahaina Music. He runs the sound at the Slack Key Show at Napili and teaches uke at the store. He might be able to point you in the right direction (or may be up for a jam himself).

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

gtheisen
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  11:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by Eynowd

quote:

Maybe get in touch with Jason Jerome at Lahaina Music. He runs the sound at the Slack Key Show at Napili and teaches uke at the store. He might be able to point you in the right direction (or may be up for a jam himself).

gtheisen
Go to Top of Page

gtheisen
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  11:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, does anyone have advice on checking a nice guitar in baggage through American Airlines. Will my guitar show up in good shape?
get stolen?
quote:

Hey slackers. I’m heading to Maui from July 5 to 12. Taking my guitar for self entertainment. Does anyone know where there could be local slack key players , jamming , and activity ? I know about Wednesday eves at Napili. Thanks for any guidance.

gtheisen
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  04:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard horror stories about all airlines. Be careful. Ask them for their recommendations as to safety of transport.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  3:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My advice is to carry it in a hard case and ask for gate checking. With most airlines the color gate check tag means that it goes down the ramp at the door of the plane with wheel chairs and strollers, then comes back up there at the other end. This avoids putting into the baggage mangling system of conveyors. The white tag means drop it at the jet way door and it comes out on the carousel on the other end. If the gate agent insists that you gate check, hide the tag and carry your guitar down to the plane. Then if a flight attendant says there is no room, there is no option but to gate check. That is when it is good to have that colored tag with you. Sometimes you can get away with taking it on board, but that happens less frequently these days. I've had way more luck and sympathy from flight attendants than surly gate agents.

Be sure to pack the head stock area snugly with spare t-shirts or socks, to the point where it is hard to close and latch the lid. No head stock motion means no whiplash breaks. Don't bother detuning. TSA will confiscate truss rod wrenches or other tools at the x-ray machine. Even a spare pack of strings should go in your checked bag. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  5:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

My advice is to carry it in a hard case and ask for gate checking. With most airlines the color gate check tag means that it goes down the ramp at the door of the plane with wheel chairs and strollers, then comes back up there at the other end. This avoids putting into the baggage mangling system of conveyors. The white tag means drop it at the jet way door and it comes out on the carousel on the other end. If the gate agent insists that you gate check, hide the tag and carry your guitar down to the plane. Then if a flight attendant says there is no room, there is no option but to gate check. That is when it is good to have that colored tag with you. Sometimes you can get away with taking it on board, but that happens less frequently these days. I've had way more luck and sympathy from flight attendants than surly gate agents.

I checked my guitar case in on the four flights I took from Australia to Hawaii, with no issues.

I had heard enough horror stories about guitars on flights that I bought a cheap factory-second student guitar for A$99 last year, just in case it got trashed; thankfully, that didn't happen. The guitar turned out to be far better than I expected, too, which is a bonus. Even Sonny Lim and Moon Kahele made appreciative comments about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Be sure to pack the head stock area snugly with spare t-shirts or socks, to the point where it is hard to close and latch the lid. No head stock motion means no whiplash breaks. Don't bother detuning. TSA will confiscate truss rod wrenches or other tools at the x-ray machine. Even a spare pack of strings should go in your checked bag.

Before we left Australia, I bought some offcut foam rubber from a local store, and carved it into shape to shape to fit the guitar headstock, and used a couple of offcut wedges to jam between the body of the guitar and sides of the case to stop lateral movement. That seemed to work pretty well.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000