Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 getting together with a slack key friend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  05:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Colorado!
We're doing weekly, sometimes 2x meetups...
And I've needed an active, encouraging local slack-key friend.
Mike and his wife always came to my Chuck Pyle concerts at Swallow Hill, where we also kept running into each other for Hawaiian artists' concerts and workshops... and he was a little surprised how I could play so easily and 2nd natured with song-writers and bluegrass groups, and yet have a fear in effectively tackling this other style.
Together we're having fun, learning, and working past my old self-limiting, self-sabotaging, limiting patterns, and fear of even trying. Yeah!

He's not active here much, but, thanks to Mike. (although there's another Mike in our Swallow Hill circle who plays slack, so we may need to expand the circle!

But for now, it's music therapy!) And you know how tricky it can be to find cheap, effective "therapy"...except in Aloha circles.

He's been to Keola's and I'm a fan of George's camp...so we have a lot of "talk story" time too. Mahalo.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/27/2019 05:37:05 AM

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds wonderful! We are now connected with a bunch of local Hawaiians, but I appear to be the only slacker among them. My guitar is usually tuned in taropatch for these kanikapila. That way I can respectfully noodle a slack key tune in the background when things turn to extended talk story between songs. Plus it is very good practice. It would still be great to connect with another ki ho'alu player, but patience is a virtue they say.

I attended a songwriting camp once where the unofficial motto became: Dare to Suck. In other words, turn off your internal editor and internal critic -- jus' press. Most bluegrass/country and Hawaiian music is chordally simple, aka mostly I-IV-V.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  06:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good SKF (slack key friend) or any kind (Aloha-practicing) friend helps smooth out your inner moguls. (IM).
Well it is Sunday morning, and since there are no Redwoods or Ocean nearby, guess I'll be here. Here ain't a bad place to be...and Colorado has some great Mountains (as Sarah Palin might say, "I can see them from my window", light, cool air (I call it "bathing in air") and lighter gravity, but no TOO light.
One friend grew up a Nomadic Protestant (nearest church the family could find.) I've modified that to Nomadic Zen Aloha-ist. Any Beautiful place, or any place of time where 1 or more are gathered in the name of Aloha.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/28/2019 06:09:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000