Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 is this forum wilted?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  01:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58
Don't give up on the site people. You never know who's lurking here or if something fruitful will drop in your lap from just checking in. Bumped into Ozzie today. Probably haven't seen him in close to 2 years.What's sad about it is that Ozzie's door is always open for me yet my dumb ass can't find the time. I only have ONE day off per week so I try to devote that to my mo'opuna. Haven't been teaching lately although there are folks here itchy to learn......As it's been mentioned a few times in this thread "Life gets in the way" One thing to keep in mind though is that Oz mentioned Taropatch in his conversation with me today. He said he's sad that there's very little activity here now days. BUT......he still visits the site a couple of times a week!!!!

Good to hear he's still about, and still checking in! (Hi Ozzie - oh hey, some news for you - my nearly ten year old daughter has just about nailed how to play "Kani Ki Ho`alu" from your book. She was struggling a bit with it until last week, but I sat down with her, and she's improved a lot over the past few days. I might have to start teaching her "Manuela Boy" next )

Been thinking about online conversations like these lately, and why they dry up.

A normal face-to-face conversation typically has a flow of questions and answers back and forth, with each answer sparking more questions that drives the conversation on.

That doesn't seem to happen in online forums as much, at least not any more. People sometimes give a short answer, but it doesn't seem to give much space for the conversation to grow.

Dunno, might just be me.

quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58
BTW, today I decided to host a kanikapila this coming Sunday. We're all in need of that fellowship.

Awww, man, wish I could make it along. I'll be with you guys in spirit. I'd pick up my guitar at about the same time you guys are going to be playing, but it'll be Monday morning here in Oz, so I'll be at work instead

Speaking of picking up a guitar, time for me to practice "Pu`uanahulu" some more. It was one of the camp tunes at the Maui workshop last year, and I've been having fun working on it lately.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.

Edited by - Eynowd on 02/04/2020 01:04:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  06:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Distance gets in the way. Eh, Duke! No fo'get dat yoa mo'opuna need foa hear ki ho'alu - get it programmed insai dea heads! Things fall off from use as culture/technology changes. I've seen families sitting in a restaurant all on their devices. Kids have trouble understanding facial expression and tone of voice. Nuances are lost. The progress of civilization seems to be more and more knowing less and less. Remember: music is communication, although today's culture treats it like a product. No expeck dat erryt'ing goin' be perfect errytime. Each time is different and a learning experience.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  06:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I'm not sure if this place should be updated, just leave it as is, or...

I vote "leave it as it is" myself. It ain't really broke, so don't fix it. It is just up to us members to revitalize the dialogue.

Although there has been some success connecting with the Hawaiian community, there is not much ki ho'alu available to me here in Idaho. This site played a key role in launching my now twelve year old ukulele club. I responded to a post about a potential kani in SW Idaho, and met my start-up partner. I recently handed over the reins to the next set of leaders.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000