Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Jeff Peterson DVD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2020 :  07:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought this directly from Jeff at the concert with he and Keola & Moana Beamer last October in Kirkland, WA. Sadly, it sat unopened near my computer for a while (life gets busy sometimes) but I have spent some of my recent enforced down time watching it.

Wow! There is a LOT of material on this DVD, and well presented. He teaches several songs, but also shows a lot of tricks and licks in passing. I have to spend some real quality time with the remote control, backing up and re-playing segments to catch what he just did. It will take me months of intense study to work through and catch just half of this new stuff. The printed PDF's will be a great help.

Hard to believe that this is *only* Volume 1 Beginner and there are plans for a Volume 2 Intermediate DVD. This beginner video is almost a master class in ki ho'alu all by itself.
https://jeffpetersonguitar.com/product/learn-play-hawaiian-slack-key-guitar-jeff-peterson-volume-1/

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2020 :  08:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff is a great resource! Slipry1 knows him from trips to the islands. I've talked briefly to him, nice guy!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  06:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agreed! I took a workshop from him in Anchorage, AK maybe 15 years ago, followed by a wonderful solo concert. And we got to hang with Jeff. Keola, and Moana before the Kirkland show, with mahalos to Neeej graciously hosting us as house pests guests for a couple of days. You know... back in the BC era (Before Covid) when we COULD make road trips to visit with friends and go to concerts.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  4:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff's a lovely guy, and I got to spend some time chatting and playing with him at the Maui workshop last year. He was the first of the three private lessons I had there, on the first day no less, which was a tad intimidating (although I think I was more nervous about my private lesson with Uncle Led ).

Jeff's been performing online concerts every week since COVID isolation hit, if people are interested.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2020 :  6:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been a subscriber to his instructional website for more than a year. Best stuff I've ever seen. If you have the time to devote to it, the rewards are great. Dozens of songs, maybe hundreds, with tab. All skill levels. I consider myself accomplished, but not an advanced player. I'm self taught and have to live with some bad habits. I've been working on some of the more advanced tunes and find them challenging for my skill level. Every one of them teaches me something that I never knew or would not have thought of. I can't always play it like he does, but almost always find a suitable alternative. He always responds to questions. I'm retired and can spend many hours practicing, particularly now. I'm learning tunes for which I can't find instruction, tab, videos, etc. anywhere else.

Check out his live concerts on stageit. Generally you can pay whatever you can afford. So far, he has mixed up the selections pretty well. Just watching him is a look at genius.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  04:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Being not yet retired (and still rather busy) there is limited time and energy to devote to my studies. So I have not signed up for any on-line courses as of yet. Maybe someday soon. I also spend most of my workday at a computer, so sitting at one for a concert or a YouTube video is not my favorite thing these days. (We still have a dumb TV). Taropatch and other "stuff" gets done in the background while downloading big drawing files for projects.

I am working from the DVD with the remote control handy to back up and repeat sections. I do that a LOT. When time permits, I probably will sign up for on-line lessons. Mahalo for the comments.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  06:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much progress on the instructional DVD so far. Things have been busy of late, both for work and yard work. We are fully into lawn moving and sprinkler season here. But I will keep it handy for those stolen moments when I can work on new stuff.
Go to Top of Page

lorenkii
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2020 :  08:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I concur with the comments about Jeff’s website. The teaching materials there are really good — www.jeffpetersonguitar.com. Look for the link that says slack key workshop.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000