Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Another "Black Sand" in the backyard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2021 :  11:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have finally gotten back to O`ahu so we were able to get together with Ledward for a video session. Since Led has been working in his yard during the pandemic we decided to do another "Black Sand" in the backyard, a sort of nod to the video we did back in 2012.

Here's the new one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erAAPNqIeg

and here's the old one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WD1y679R4c

which is the most watched video on my YouTube channel.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2021 :  8:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2021 :  2:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Fran. Loved it. It’s interesting to see your progress from the older clip.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2021 :  04:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purrrrrrrrrr :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2021 :  08:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, folks, glad you enjoyed the clip. Obviously it was a lot of fun doing it.

Dusty, I'm still just hanging on for dear life while Led takes the song in every direction possible. I got a kick out of the evolution of my recording gear. That old clip was shot on my first mirrorless camera with a couple of oddball video devices for the extra angles and the audio is kinda wonky because I used two different recorders and they didn't quite synch up. In the new clip I'm shooting with a fifth generation Lumix G series supplemented with two iPhones and the audio is recorded on a 32 bit box that could be used on a Hollywood set. And the later stuff costs less than the gear I was using back then.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2021 :  03:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds nahenahe! Only nice!
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2021 :  08:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! More videos coming from the session?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2021 :  08:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always enjoy your videos and posts, Fran. "Black Sand" seems like a tune worthy of some study and adding to the repertoire.

I rarely get down into your home area anymore, but still hope that one day we can meet somehow and play ki ho'alu together. (I am about the same degree of skill behind you as you are to Uncle Led, so I would depend on your kindness and tolerance).
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2021 :  7:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eh, Kory, thx.

quote:
Originally posted by 12toneman

Nice! More videos coming from the session?

We weren't happy with the other tunes from that day, and somehow we haven't managed to do another session, but we still have a little time left and several songs we'd like to capture.

Earl, "Black Sand" is definitely worth chasing. The CD version is nice and clean but maybe a bit quick. If you have good tools for slowing and looping it will come.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2021 :  3:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fran. Big reason I still look in here. "Eat your heart out" music. Had to cancel my trip to Big Island this year; haven't been sick in three years, but got a bad cold 2 days before leaving and had a root canal go sideways. That after going through all of Hawaii's Covid protocol. Bad mana here.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2021 :  08:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry, you're talking nightmare stuff when you combine cold, root canal problems, and covid. We're as ready as we can be but the way things are going I'm not going to be thrilled getting on the plane to go home.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000