Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Walking Song
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2021 :  08:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ledward carries on the Kalapana tradition of composing slack key instrumentals. His "Slack Key Lullaby" is a classic, and "Highway to Hana" is another sweet one. His latest was inspired by his strolls around the neighborhood, "Hele Wāwae," the Walking Song.

We went back to the backyard to capture a video of this new piece. Hope you enjoy it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srsvZi-sl7Y

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2021 :  03:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic. Fran, your bass work is excellent. You guys are locked in.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2021 :  06:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one, Fran!!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2021 :  07:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great job Fran. Love the breeze blowing around you.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2021 :  09:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 12toneman

Fantastic. Fran, your bass work is excellent. You guys are locked in.

I gotta go low 'cause Led is using all the rest of the notes (grin).

quote:
Originally posted by wdf

Nice one, Fran!!

Mahalo Dusty.

quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

great job Fran. Love the breeze blowing around you.

It's been a great year for the trades, makes it a little harder to get a clean recording but I'm not complaining about sweet breezes.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2021 :  11:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nahe nahe, Fran. I could almost feel the tropical breezes blow past me as I watched. I'd surely put up with a little recording noise in order to feel the winds. And I'm always a bit jealous that you get to kani with Uncle Led. You've earned that second chair though.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2021 :  06:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice back yard kanikapila....mahalo!
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2021 :  2:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Very nahe nahe, Fran. I could almost feel the tropical breezes blow past me as I watched...

Thanks, Earl, I'll take lucky over good anytime - that's my life story!

quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Nice back yard kanikapila....mahalo!

I'm happy to have been able to enjoy the heck out of that for you, Kory (grin).

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2021 :  1:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fran. I'd like to get the details on how you record all of these videos (equipment etc.) and post them. I'm clueless on how to do this stuff. I've tried recording at home with poor results. I'm probably not going to do what you do, but I'd like to maybe start. I've got some tunes that I've promised to Jeff Peterson, but I don't know where to start other than the camera on my laptop. I don't even have an amp anymore, but my Taylor has a pickup and I do have some mics. E-mail me if you don't want to do it here. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2021 :  07:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I try to include the basic details of the gear in the description of each video, but that's not really much help.

There are two ways to go as far as I'm concerned - separate audio or mic to camera. The camera can be either a video capable camera or a cell phone/tablet. If you're more concerned with capture than quality you can even use a laptop camera or webcam.

I never use an amp, rarely use a pickup - once again it's a matter of the level of quality you want/need and your aesthetic. A pickup certainly makes it easier to deal with external noise and room tone, but a mic is generally more natural sounding.

The basic complicating factor is to get the mic close enough to the guitar, which is nearly always much closer than the camera. This is the most important thing for getting decent audio. As always, your quality requirement/aesthetic matters.

I have a techie YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClD3RAU3f8lxD8qJsxTTntA and blog: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/ where I have blathered about all this stuff going back a number of years, but I'll give a rundown on my current setup.

On the road I am currently using a Panasonic Lumix GH5 mirrorless camera as my main shooter. Nearly any modern camera you own can shoot excellent video, or you may have a video camera. My secondary cameras are two iPhones - an XS Max and 11 Pro Max. All these cameras let me use a pad (or other phone) as a controller/monitor, so I can see what I'm shooting, adjust exposure, tweak focus, and start and stop video. The Lumix comes with a free app, the phones use Filmic Pro and Filmic Remote paid apps. I'm recording separate audio on a Zoom F6 recorder with a pair of Shure KSM141 condenser mics. I have tripods for support, clamps to hold phones, and cables to connect mics to recorder. Doing separate audio like this means I have to pull the audio and video into a program on the PC to synchronize them, and that's where I cut between cameras and do titling and fake pans and zooms. By shooting at 4K (very high resolution) and delivering HD I have "extra" portions of the image so I can do these pans and zooms without losing quality.

There are a _lot_ of software options out there. I use Edius, which is pretty big financial commitment. I've used Shotcut which is free and functional. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2017/08/06/can-shotcut-cut-a-lampg-video/ There are apps for iPhone and iPad, like iMovie and more, a little tweakier to use but functional if you have the patience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6grbscJHmNk The Movie Pro app I mention in this video is obsolete now so I switched to Filmic Pro. There's a more functional editing app for the iPhone or iPad called Lumafusion. I haven't used it, but the reviews indicate that it basically matches PC or Mac level software for video editing.

If you're using a phone for a camera or a webcam/laptop cam or a camera with an audio input, you can skip the separate audio recorder and synchronization step by connecting your mic or pickup to the camera. There are lots of ways to get better audio into the phone, I use iRig Pro or Pro Duo for my iPhone connection. Once again I mention that if audio quality is a concern it's worth getting the mic closer to the guitar than the camera position.

Hopefully this info will help you get started. There are a lot of tutorials and comparos in the Homebrewed Music channel and blog, and you're welcome to shout out in email or here if you have questions.

Ooops, I forgot the upload part of your question. I use YouTube for my online videos. Set up a channel and then just drag and drop the video file in your browser. If you want to share the video with one person you can mark it private (they need to have a channel and be authorized to view your video) or unlisted (only people who have a link to the video can find it.) I use unlisted to share the video for approval before I make it public. Once it's in YouTube it's easy to share it out to Facebook or leave a link here or some other site.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 08/12/2021 07:26:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2021 :  09:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Nice! Thanks for sending this on Fran.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2021 :  11:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I needed. Thanks Fran
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly